15. The Millrace
The smaller stream passing beneath the bridge was a millrace for the corn mill that once stood beside the river. An 18th century mill was built on the site of a medieval mill here and was in use up to 1834. It was demolished in 1955. Contemporaneously, the humped crown of the bridge was altered to its present concrete form. The deck of the bridge is supported by the original 1795 piers.