Baunragh

Civil Parish of Kiltartan

Dylan Reilly / University of Galway / Galway County Heritage Office

Baunragh

 

Civil Parish of Kiltartan

Dylan Reilly | University of Galway | Galway County Heritage Office

Baunragh is a townland, situated in the North West of the parish of Kiltartan, Barony of Kiltartan and County Galway, East of the New Mail Coach Road from Galway to Gort.

The standard name for this townland is Baunragh, with the Irish form of the name being Bánrach.

 

Other forms of the name with authority source:

Bánrach

Bánrac

Baunrogh By. Surveyors Sketch Map

Baunragh Mr. John Bell, Barony Constable

Baunrogh Rev. Patrick Fallon, P.P.

 

Griffiths Valuation

Griffiths Valuation recorded that there were 2 listed land and property owners; Patrick Staunton, Edward Howley. All land was leased from John Martyn and Edward Howley.

 

Patrick Staunton leased House, Office and land of 1 acre 3 roods worth £1.0s.0d. (land) and £0.15s.0d. (offices) from John Martyn.

Edward Howley leased land of 24 acres 3 roods 1 perch worth £13.15s.0d.

Vacant lease of house and office worth £2.10s.0d. from Edward Howley.

 

The total annual valuation of relatable property of Baunragh was £18.0s.0d. for a total of 28 acres, 2 rood and 1 perches of land, house and office.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books

The proprietor was John Martin, Esq., Tillyra, Adrahan. No agent. Let to 2 occupying tenants on a lease of lives at 35s. per acre, yearly rent. County Cess was 3s. 0d. per acre. Tithe tax was 1s. 0d. The townland contains about 15 acres. The soil was sandy. The usual crops were wheat, oats and potatoes. No bog. Tenantry were Roman Catholics. Prevailing names were Staunton and Creehan. Authority was Patt Staunton, townland Baunragh.

Down Survey

The Down Survey Map under ‘Gortenshegory’ listed  O’Shawnussy, Sir Roger (Catholic) as the landowner in 1641 (pre-Cromwell) O’Shaghnessy, Sir Dermot (Catholic) in 1670 (post Cromwell).

 

1901 census

From the 1901 census, it can be seen that there were a total of 1 households inhabited in the townland of Baunragh, hosting a total population of 3 individuals, 2 males and 1 females. 2 out offices were also recorded.

 

Houses

 

Macklin

Bridget Macklin (Aged 52) was the head of the family. She lived with her two sons, Patrick Macklin (Aged 26) and Martin Macklin (Aged 18). All were born in County Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget listed her occupation as ‘Farmer’, while Patrick and Martin listed their occupation as ‘Farmer’s son’. Bridget could not read. Patrick and Martin could read. All spoke English and Irish. Bridget listed her marital status as ‘widow’ while Patrick and Martin were listed as ‘not married’.

 

The house was a built private dwelling inhabited by one distinct family. It had two out-offices and farm steadings listed which were a stable and a barn. The walls were made of stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made of thatch, wood or other perishable material. It was a 3rd class house that had two front windows. The house had two rooms occupied by the family. Bridget Macklin was listed as the head of the family and the landowner.

 

Uninhabited House: There was an uninhabited house with James Mahony listed as the landowner.

 

 

1911 census

From the 1911 census, it can be seen that there were a total of 1 households inhabited in the townland of Baunragh, hosting a total population of 2 individuals, 1males and 1 females. 2 out offices were also recorded.

 

Houses

Macklin

Bridget Macklin (Aged 74) was the head of the family. She lived with her son Patrick Macklin (Aged 38). Both were born in County Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both listed their occupation as ‘Farmer’. Bridget could not read but Patrick could read and write. Bridget could speak Irish and English. Patrick listed his marital status as ‘single’ and Bridget was listed as ‘widow’.

 

The house was a built private dwelling inhabited by one distinct family. It had two out-offices and farm steadings listed which were a stable and a barn. The walls were made of stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made of thatch, wood or other perishable material. It was a 3rd class house that had two front windows. The house had two rooms occupied by the family. Bridget Macklin was listed as the head of the house and the landowner.

This page was added on 14/05/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.