Ardaun is situated in the West of the Oranmore Civil Parish, County Galway. It is bounded by Coolaough on the North, Garraun on the East, Cartron on the South, and the parish boundary on the South and West. Other forms of this townland name include Ardán, Ardawn, and Ardane.
In 1641 (Pre Cromwell), Ardaun was owned by John Lynch FitzAnthony (Catholic). In 1670 (Post Cromwell), the ownership had changed to John Morgan (Protestant). There were 95 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 112 of profitable land, and 112 forfeited land.
The 1855 Griffith Valuation census states that the land was owned by Theobald Blake. Blake leased 37 acres, 3 roods, and 4 perches of land to Michael Burke for £5 pa. He leased 28 acres, and 30 perches of land to James Greaves for £6. Blake also leased 30 acres, 2 roods, and 26 perches of land with a house and offices to Patrick King for £5. Patrick King had leased a house and small garden to Mary King for £1.
The Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property in Ardaun in 1855 was £17.
Martin King (40) and his wife Mary King (38) lived with their 6 children as well as Martin’s widowed mother, Margaret (70), and sister, Celia King (43). They had 3 girls, Maggie (10), Julia (9), and Mary (4), and 3 boys, Martin (6), Patrick (2), and Thomas (1 month). The King family were Roman Catholics. Martin, Mary, and their eldest child Maggie could read and write, Margaret could only read, and the rest could not do either. It is specified that Martin, Mary, and Margaret can speak Irish and English. Martin was a farmer and there was no listed occupation for Mary or the other adults. Maggie, however, was listed as the farmer’s daughter and the next two children, Julia and Martin were listed as scholars. This family lived in a 2nd class house with non-perishable walls (stone, brick, or concrete), a perishable roof (thatch or wood), 3 rooms, and 3 front-facing windows. They also had 5 out-offices; a stable, cow house, piggery, barn, and shed. This land was owned by Martin himself. These census forms were collected on the 8th of April 1901.
Marin King (48) and his wife Mary (49) still lived here with their family 10 years later during the next census on the 11th of April 1911. Other residents of the household include their children; Martin (15), Mary (13), Patrick (11), Thomas (9) and Katie (8), as well as Martins mother, Margret (76), and sister, Celia (50). This Roman Catholic family could all speak Irish and English, and read and write, except for Celia. Martin was listed as the farmer’s son, and the rest of the children were scholars. They all lived in their 2nd class home with 7 out-offices; a stable, coach house, cow house, piggery, fowl house, barn and turf house. Additional information on the 1911 census shows that Mary and Martin had been married for 20 years and had 8 children, 7 of which were still living.