Brannock Island East

Brannock Island East

Roger Harrison

Brannock Island East

Townland:                                         Brannock Island East

Civil Parish:                                       Árainn

Barony:                                              Aran

Church Parish:                                  Aran Isles

District Electoral Division:             Árainn

Area:                                                  6.15 acres / 6 acres, 0 roods, 24 perches

 

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Aran Islands R.C. Parish 1821-1881

1911 Census for Brannock Island East (no records)

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Brannock Island East (no records)

1670 Down Survey for Brannock Island East (no records)

Logainm for Brannock Island East (no records)

 

 

1901 Census for Brannock Island East

Overview of Brannock Island South

This part of the 1901 census includes the islands in the north sound of Inishmore, Brannock Island East being one of them.

There were a total of 3 houses listed in this entry and all were occupied. All were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. They were all 2nd class dwellings with houses 1 and 2 having 8 rooms and 2 windows to the front and house 3 having 5 rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 9 out buildings consisting of 2 stores, 2 laundries, 2 oil stores and 3 coal stores. According to the Enumerator’s Abstract return (form N), there were 18 people on these islands, 9 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Constable Thomas Daly.

 

Watson

James (36) was listed as being the head of this family and he was married to Jane Eliza (34) and they lived there with 4 of their children; Robert (10), John Edwin (9), Gilbert (6) and Helen Irene (5). All members of the family were members of the Church of Ireland and Helen Irene was born in Co. Down while the others were all born in Co. Cork. With the exception of Helen Irene, all could read and write. James was a lighthouse keeper and the children were all listed as being scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and they also had a store, a laundry, an oil store and a coal store. There was no landholder listed in this entry.

 

Murphy

The head of this household was Joseph D. (27) and he was married to Teresa (25) and they lived with their son, William (9mths). They were all born in Co. Down and were Roman Catholic. Both parents could read and write and spoke only English. Joseph D. was listed as being a “lighthouse” (most likely a keeper). The house was a 2nd class dwelling with a laundry and a coal store. There was no landholder listed in this entry.

 

Kennedy

The head of the final family in this entry was John (50) who was married to Julia (47) and they had 7 children; Julia Kate (18), Mary Ellen (17), Michael John (16), Anthony (14), Bridget (12), Lorretto [sic] (9) and Maude (5). All were Roman Catholic and John was born in Kinsale, Co. Cork, Julia, Mary Ellen and Bridget were born in Co. Mayo, Julia Kate was born in Co. Sligo, Michael John and Anthony were born in Co. Wexford and Lorretto [sic] and Maude were born in Co. Donegal. With the exception of young Maude, they could all read and write. John was a lighthouse keeper and Michael John, Anthony, Bridget and Lorretto [sic] were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and they also had a store, an oil store and a coal store. There was no landholder listed in this entry.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847 – 1864) for Brannock Island East

This entry includes Brannock East, Brannock Island, Brannock Middle and Brannock South.

Patrick Conneely and others leased the Brannock Islands, that had a total area of 64 acres and 22 perches of land, from Peter Barfort [sic] and others and it had an annual ratable valuation of £1 5s.

 

This page was added on 07/03/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.