The “Irish Madonna” is also known as “Our Lady of Győr”. The painting was taken from Clonfert Cathedral 350 years ago by Bishop Walter Lynch, who was exiled following the Cromwellian dispossession. He died in exile in 1663 and is buried in the vaults of Győr Cathedral. He brought the painting with him from Galway and it was hung in a side altar. According to tradition on St Patrick’s Day 1697, blood flowed from it and was removed by a linen cloth, which is now a relic. An altar was built for the picture dedicated to Mary, Consoler of the Afflicted. In 2003 Bishop Lajos Pápai of presented a copy of the painting to the Diocese of Loughrea and this copy is held in St. Brendan’s Cathedral, Loughrea.
“Our Lady of Győr: Irish Madonna”
Loughrea Virtual Medieval Festival
presented by Monsignor Cathal Geraghty
This page was added on 24/08/2021.
Add a comment about this page