An interpretation of the devastating battle fought for the throne of England in the 1690s delivered through an engaging, interactive and exciting way…. the Centre is truly a hidden gem!
The Centre provides the following:
- Audio-Visual Exhibition, including a narrated film of the Battle of Aughrim;
- Interpretative panels and models giving the context and history of the battle, the lead-up to and aftermath of the battle, with colourful costumes on display;
- Diorama display of the battlefield with model soldiers, which is unique to the centre;
- Interactive map board activity ‘Wearing Marquis de Saint Ruth’s hat’. This game invites you to examine the battlefield diorama and act as Saint Ruth and arrange battle troops using the model soldiers and map board;
Interactive Map Board activity
Educational Workbooks and a colouring/activity book are provided to engage and stimulate younger visitors. Associated teachers/group leader resource notes and support material (DVD) are also available;
- An ‘Education & Learning Zone’ provides traditional reading material relevant to the Battle of Aughrim, local history and local interest publications, colouring books, activity sheets and jigsaws;
Education & Learning Zone
- Fascinating educational events (summer lecture series and heritage week events) and guided tours of the Centre;
- Self-guided map outlining the key sites to enable visitors to tour the battlefield site (20–30 minutes drive or 2-hour walk), with guided tours provided during key events during the year;
- Display of the Martin Joyce Collection of artefacts;
- Information and brochures on a range of heritage, tourism and cultural activities, including the Hidden Heartlands area, Galway City and Connemara;
- Accessible reception area (includes a seating area, toilets, baby changing and wheelchair-accessible facilities) and is used to accommodate the summer lecture series and other events.