Ballylee

Civil Parish of Kilthomas

Natalie Cyrkel / University of Galway / Galway County Heritage Office

Photo by Peterswell National School

Ballylee

Baile Uí Laoigh / townland / town / homestead

Ballylee was situated in the western area of the parish, in the barony of Kiltartan. Ballylee was bound by townlands Drimmore Hill and Ballynabucky. 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provided the two other alternative spellings, Baile Ui Laogh and Ballilee. The land was owned by Mr. Gregory, the rent was £1 per acre.  Ballylee was described as arable land, half tilled, and narrow. The county cess or tax was 10.5 pence. 

The Down Survey Map under ‘Ballilee’ listed Ulick Burke, Earl of Clanricard (Catholic), as the landowner in 1641 (pre-Cromwell). The landowner in 1670 (post Cromwell) was Earl of Clanrickard (Protestant). There were 9 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 668 acres of profitable land.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to this source, William H. Gregory owned all the land. All individuals leased holdings of only land, except Thomas Griffin, who leased a holding of house, office, and land with an area of 19 acres, 2 perches, 10 roods and a value of £12-0-0. William Carty leased land with an area of 8 acres, 2 perches, 14 roods for £1-5-0. John Mullen  leased land with an area of 2 acres, 2 perches, 20 roods for £0-15-0. Patrick Connell leased 2 holdings of land with an area of 24 acres, 3 perches, 5 roods and another of 1 acre, 1 rood, and 16 perches for £8-5-0.  John Healy leased land with an area of 4 acres, 0 perches, 0 roods for £1-5-0. Mark Lally leased land with an area of 10 acres, 3 perches, 39 roods for £3-5-0. John Burke  leased land with an area of 8 acres, 0 perches, 27 roods for £3-0-0. Thomas Fahy  leased land with an area of 2 acres, 0 perches, 0 roods for £1-0-0.

The total annual valuation of rateable property paid overall in Ballylahy was  £89-9-0 for 154 acres, 0 roods, and 24 perches of house, offices, and land.

1901 Census 

There were 10 households of 41 inhabitants in 1901, 17 males and 24 females. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in County Galway, with the exception of Sarah Spelman. The houses were built as private dwellings. The roofs were made of wood, thatch, or other perishable material. The walls were made of stone, brick, or concrete. One of the houses was uninhabited, owned by Thos. [sic] Forde.

Margaret Burke (60) was a widowed farmer who lived with her son John Burke (36) and his wife Mary Burke (28). John was also a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s wife. Margaret and John spoke Irish and English. Mary and John could read and write, Margaret could not read. The house was a 4 bedroom, 2nd class house, with 3 front windows. There was 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn, and 1 shed. Margaret owned the land.

James Cunningham (48) was a farmer who lived with his wife, Elizabeth Cunningham (38). The pair lived with their son, John Cunningham (13) and their 10 daughters: Elizabeth (17), Sarah (16), Hannah (12), Margaret (11), Bridget (10), Ellen (8), Julia (6), Kate (4), Anne (3)  and their 1 year old daughter1.  Elizabeth (17), Sarah, John, Hannah, and Margaret were all scholars and could read and write. James and Elizabeth (38) could also read and write. The remaining children could not read. Irish and English were only listed for James. The Cunningham family lived in a 2nd class, 2 room house with 4 front windows. There was 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, and 1 piggery. James was the landowner. 

John Cusack (80) was a widowed farmer who lived with his two unmarried sons, John Cusack (50) and Fergus Cusack (40). The sons were listed as farmer’s sons. All spoke Irish and English and could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 bedrooms and 3 front windows. On the property was 1 stable, 1 cow house, and 1 piggery. John (80) was the landowner.

Edward Healy (66) was a farmer who lived with his wife Mary Healy (52). The pair lived with their unmarried children, Thomas (35), Ellen (16), and John (15). Thomas and Ellen were listed as farmer’s son/ daughter and John was a scholar. Edward, Ellen, and John could read and write, Mary and Thomas could not read. Irish and English were listed for Edward, Mary, and Ellen. The Healy family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 bedrooms and 3 front windows. There was 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 barn. Edward was the landowner.

Martin Lally (63)  was a farmer married to Mary Lally (60). The couple lived with their 2 unmarried sons, Martin Lally (20) and Mark Lally (16). Mark and Martin were listed as farmer’s sons. Martin (63), Martin (20), and Mark could read and write. Irish and English were only listed for Martin (63) and Mary. The Lally’s lived in a 3 bedroom, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. They had 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn, and 1 shed. Martin Lally owned the land on which his house was situated. 

Michael Mc Tigue (72) was a widowed farmer and miller who lived with his unmarried brother John Mc Tigue (60). John was a farm servant, it was noted he was deaf and dumb. Only Michael could read and write, and had Irish and English listed. The brothers lived in a 2nd class house of 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There was 1 stable, 1 turf house, and 1 corn mill.  Michael was the landowner.

Bridget Mulkerin (60) was a widowed herd who lived alone. She could not read and spoke Irish and English. She lived in a 1 bedroom, 3rd class home with 1 front window. There were no out offices or farm steadings. Bridget owned the property.

John Mullins (58) was a farmer who lived with his wife Maria (50), his unmarried brother Patrick Mullins (60), and their daughters: Norah (19), Kate (17), Ellen (12), Margaret (11), and Eliza (8). Patrick was a farm servant, Norah was a farmer’s daughter, and the rest of the daughters were scholars. All family members could read and write. Only John, Maria, and Patrick had Irish and English listed as languages. The family home was a 2nd class house of 3 rooms and 3 front windows. On the property was 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 turf house, and 1 piggery. John owned the land on which his house was situated. 

Patrick Spelman (88) was a retired farmer who lived with his wife Sarah Spelman (75). Sarah was born in Queens County. Both were able to read and write, Patrick had Irish and English listed. The couple lived in a 2nd class, 3 bedroom house with 3 front windows. There were no out offices or farm steadings. Joe Cunningham owned the land on which Patrick’s house was situated.

1911 Census

In 1911, in the townland of Ballylee, there were 3 households of 10 males and 10 females documented. There were 2 Enumerator’s Abstract forms and 2 House and Building Return forms, therefore it is unclear the exact numbers of inhabitants and houses. According to the first House and Building Return form, there are 5 buildings, 3 of which were inhabited homes, 1 uninhabited building, and 1 uninhabited castle. According to the other form, there are 3 buildings, only 1 of which is inhabited. One Enumerator’s Abstract recorded  4 dwellings of 8 males and 12 females. The other Enumerator’s Abstract recorded  3 dwellings of 10 males and 10 females. All residents were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic, unless stated otherwise. The houses were built as private dwellings. The roofs were made of wood, thatch, or other perishable material. The walls were made of stone, brick, or concrete.

John Burke (48)  was a farmer married to Mary Burke (38). As of 1911, the pair were married 11 years with all surviving 5 children. The couple lived with John’s widowed mother, Margaret Burke (71), and their children: Martin Burke (10), Delia Burke (8), John Burke (6), Patrick Burke (5), and Connor Burke (1). Martin and Delia were listed as scholars. All family members were able to read and write, except Connor. John (48), Mary, Margaret, and Martin all had Irish and English listed under languages. The remaining children had only English. The Burke home was a 2nd class, 4 bedroom house with 3 front windows. There was 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 shed. John owned the land. 

James Cunningham (59) was a farmer who lived with his wife, Elizabeth Cunningham (48). As of 1911, the two were married for 28 years and produced 14 children, all of which were still alive at the time of the census. The pair lived with their children: John Cunningham (28), Margaret (21), Julia (18), Catherine (14), Anne (13), Thresa (11), Bernard (the age listed is unclear), and James (5). Julia, Catherine, Anne, Thresa, and Bernard were all scholars. The entire family could read and write, with the exception of James (5). Irish and English were only listed for James (59). The Cunningham family lived in a 2nd class, 2 room house with 4 front windows. There was 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 coach house, 1 calf house, 1 barn,  and 1 piggery. James was the landowner. 

John Cusack (64) was a farmer who lived with his wife of 9 years, Clara Cusack (55). John spoke Irish and English and could not read, Clara could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 bedrooms and 3 front windows. On the property was 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 barn, and 1 piggery. John was the landowner.

Andrew Quinn  (42) was a farmer who lived with his wife of 1 year, Nora Quinn (29). They lived with their only child, Mary Quinn (1). They also lived with Nora’s mother, Maria Mullins  (59), her sisters Maragret Mullins (21) and Lizzie Mullins (17) and Nora’s uncle, Patrick Mullins (76). Additionally, there was a domestic farm servant, John Delaney (57) who was born in County Mayo. Maria was a widow who was married 30 years and bore 6 children, 5 of which were still alive in 1911. Patrick was a general labourer and Lizzie was a scholar. All household members could read and write, except Mary. Only Andrew and Patrick had Irish and English listed as languages. The family home was a 2nd class house of 6 rooms and 3 front windows. On the property was 1 stable, 1 calf house, 2 piggeries, and 1 barn. Andrew owned the land on which his house was situated. 

Edward Healy (76) was a farmer who lived with his wife Mary Healy (67). The couple was married 46 years and had all 9 children living as of 1911. The pair lived with their unmarried children, Thomas (44), Ellen (26), and John (35). The couple also lived with their granddaughter, Mary Deviney (4). Thomas and John were listed as farmer’s sons. Edward, Ellen, and John could read and write, Mary and Thomas could not read. Irish and English were listed for Edward, Mary, and Ellen. The Healy family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 bedrooms and 3 front windows. There was 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 barn. Edward was the landowner.

Martin Lally (73) was a farmer married to farmer Mary Lally (70). Mary and Martin were married 50 years and had all 7 children still surviving as of 1911. The couple lived with their son, Martin Lally (33), his wife Kate Lally (30) and their two children, Maria Lally (3) and Delia Lally (20).  Martin (33) was a farmer. Martin (73), Martin (33), and Kate (30) could read and write. Mary, Maria, and Delia could not read nor write. Irish and English were only listed for Martin (73), Martin (33) and Mary. The Lally’s lived in a 4 bedroom, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. They had 1 shed, 1 cow house, and 1 barn. Martin Lally owned the land on which his house was situated. 

 

 1It appears the name of the youngest child is smudged in the Household Return form, therefore the name is unknown.

This page was added on 12/05/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.