Killimor at the end of the 19th century
Killimor in the 1950s
The Town in 1894
In 1894 the commercial life of the town was recorded by Slater (Slater’s Directory) who named the people and their various trades.
Broderick Mrs, dress maker
Byrnes James, victualler
Campbell Winnie, dressmaker
Conroy John, victualler
Costello Thomas, licensed grocer
Delahunt Catherine, grocer
Duffy Thomas, baker
Flannery Michael, boot and shoe maker
Griffin Owen, licensed grocer
Hara Martin, carpenter
Haverty Patrick, weaver
Hoade Norah, dress maker
Horan Denis, tailor hardware merchant and postmaster
Keogh Jn., blacksmith & licensed grocer
Kilkenny Maria, delf dealer
Kirwan Eliza, licensed grocer
Larkin Patrick, general merchant
Lyons Mary A., draper
McCormack Patrick, carpenter
Madden James, saddler
Mathews John, licensed grocer
Meade Joseph, tailor
Molony Mary, general merchant
Muldoon John, boot & shoe maker & Licensed Grocer
Nolan James, miller
O’Hara Edward, licensed grocer
O’Meara John, draper, grocer
Sanders Mrs, dress maker
Sanders Patrick, tailor
Business People in 1901
In 1901 the business people included Patrick Bohan, a shopkeeper, aged thirty seven, Margaret Donohoe, a thirty three year old married shopkeeper and Mary Flood, a seventy four year old widow. There were three unmarried shopkeepers, Anne Larkin, a twenty five year old draper, Annie Lyons aged twenty eight years, and Lizzie Molony aged twenty four.
Sample of the 1901 Census
Other Occupations in 1901
A variety of occupations is mentioned such as: boot-maker, butcher, carpenter, clergyman, dressmaker, farmer, labourer, police constable, postman, servant, shop-assistant, smith, stonemason, tailor and teacher. One sixty nine year old person’s status was given as “washwoman”. Mary Finn’s occupation was recorded as “lodging/housekeeper”, and lodgers in her house named in the 1901 census were: Michael Martin, a 75 year old widower, Betty Martin, a widow aged 85 years, and Pat Connolly a 60 years old widower whose occupation was given as labourer. Mary Nevin also had a lodging house. Census records in 1901 show that a tailor named Peter Connaire aged thirty years, lodged with Mary Nevin as well as a cattle-driver named Martin Purcell aged sixty three years and a forty year old unmarried shoemaker named James Harte.
As well as the odd tailor, the town had an abundance of dressmakers at this time. According to the 1901 census records, Patrick Horan aged 36 years, was a tailor, and his sister, Mary, was a dressmaker. Ellen Broderick, wife of army pensioner Pat aged 60, also practised the art of dressmaking. Other dressmakers living with various families were: Mary Elizabeth Broderick aged 17 years, Nora Flood aged 30, Kate Hobbs aged 23 and Nora Hobbs aged 19. Three seamstresses resided with Annie Larkin, they were Annie Broderick aged 16, Annie Gallagher aged 23, from Roscommon, and eighteen year old Annie Greogan (sic) who came from King’s County. The number of people engaged in the clothing trade suggests that a large amount of business revolved around mending and patching old clothes, alterations, remaking of clothes to provide a new look, as well as the manufacture of new clothes. The trade of shoe-maker/boot-maker was also a very necessary facility. The name Flannery springs to mind. Other names listed in 1901, were John Muldoon aged 33 years, John Sheil aged 25 and his brother, Jerome aged 15, and James Harte aged 40 years who was born in Sligo. About ten families in the town employed servants. These servants ranged in age from twelve years to seventy two years.
The occasional musical interlude was provided in that era by an itinerant musician called Michael Curley aged 48, who was in Killimor on the night that the 1901 census was taken.
Business in 1911
The 1911 census shows only Margaret Donohoe as still being resident in Killimor, and occupying a private dwelling. James Dunne, born in Co. Tipperary, aged seventy one in 1901, and described as a police pensioner, does not appear on the 1911 census. Eliza Madden was a sixty five year old widow in 1901, and is not recorded in the 1911 census. William Walsh, an unmarried thirty seven year old draper’s assistant, was listed in the 1901 census but not in the 1911 records.
Some names in Killimor town as recorded in the 1911 Census. They include such family names as Campbell, Canniff, Carroll, Clarke, Cleary, Connaughton, Conroy, Counaire, Cunniffe, Curley, Delahunt, Donohoe, Duddy and Duffy.
Many of the family names recorded in the town in 1901 and 1911 are no longer in the area. Some, thankfully, are still to the good. They include Byrnes/Byrne, Cunniffe, Duffy, Kirwan, Matthews and O’Meara.
Local people, who had a sound knowledge of the place, helped to build up this picture of the houses and buildings as they were in the early decades of the 20th century. Some of these people are still hale and hearty, while others are imithe ar shlí na fírinne.
Houses and Buildings in Killimor North
Colgan’s: The house was built circa 1932. The next people to occupy the house were Paddy and Pearl McEvoy who opened a shop beside the dwelling house. Both shop and residence were later purchased by Brendan Concannon.
School: The “Old” Old School was officially opened on 7th January 1861. The Boys’ and Girls’ Schools were separate departments in the same building, until amalgamation took place circa 1970. The new school opened in December 1964.
Flannery’s: Michael Flannery and family are listed in both the 1901 and 1911 census. Michael’s occupation was given as bootmaker and he owned a private dwelling. It appears to have been a long house with two front entrances. Vincent Hanley now lives in the first house. The Brien family occupy the second house and run the post office there.
Robinson’s: Johnny Robinson was the headmaster in the local Boys’ School. After his time, the house was rented for many years by various sergeants serving in the Garda Siochána.
An aerial view of the “old” old school prior to demolition in 1963. Colgan’s house (now Concannon’s residence with Supermarket attached) is to the right. On the left are Flannery’s houses (now Hanley’s and Brien’s). Robinson’s house is on the extreme left and is unoccupied at present.
Ryan’s: The building housed the Post Office for many years. It was owned afterwards by Thomas Melody (teacher), then by Eamonn Hannon (accountant during the operation of Tynagh Mines). It is now the property of Brendan Concannon.
Matthews’s: There were two houses here. The old thatched house was burned down in May 1944, the other house was owned and occupied by the Matthews family and contained a public house for many years. Aggie Matthews and her husband Padraig Burns now occupy the house.
Michael Wynne, who was a sergeant in the R.I.C, and his family occupied this house in the early 20th century. After they moved on, the house was rented to Garda Murphy and family. It was bought by Paddy Monahan (Derrew and USA), then bought by Beesie Heade who ran the Post Office there for many years, assuming the position of post mistress after the retirement of Joe and Nora Ryan. The house was later owned by Thomas O’Hara who was a nephew of Beesie Heade. He subsequently sold it to Eddie Lynch and it is now the property of Jimmy Coen, Derrew.
Kelly’s: The house was built by Timmy Kelly, and later bought by Michael Tyrrell (Chemist), then by Jimmy Coen (Derrew). Part of the house is now used as a diner and fast food outlet.
Old Houses: There were two old houses where the Community Centre is now situated. One was occupied by Meegans. Owen Meegan, who originally came from Fintona, Co. Tyrone, moved to Killimor in 1929. He was an experienced miller and took up work in Ballycahill Mill. Local sources recall his love for Woodbine cigarettes and his interest in football where, when playing, he hoped to “snatch a point”! The family remained in Killimor until 1939 when they moved to Ballyduff, Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny. Owen died on the 28th December 1946.
Liza Bernard lived in the other thatched house. She is registered in both the 1901 and 1911 census as owning a private dwelling. The story goes that she loved reading books about romance and murder! The Community Centre served as a cinema before being revamped and reconstructed.
The Barracks: According to both the 1901 and the 1911 census this was originally a dwelling house with nine rooms and owned by the Rudden family. Matthew Rudden was an RIC pensioner and his daughter, Clarry Rudden, married John Taylor, an auctioneer, in Portumna. The building was then used as a barracks by the Garda Siochána until the construction of the new barracks. It was then bought by members of the Cunniffe family.
Cooney’s: This house was originally Delahunt’s. The name William Delahunt appears in Griffith’s Valuation, 1848-1864. Catherine Delahunt is named in the 1901 census as being a shopkeeper/widow. James Cooney from Portumna married Lucy Delahunt who, according to the 1911 census, owned a public house in Killimor. After the demise of James Cooney and his wife, the premises was occupied by a Mr. McCluskey who was a chemist. Later on Michael Tyrell also had a chemist’s business there. When Michael Tyrell moved, Tommy Cunniffe from Hearnesbrook bought the premises and opened a public house. The next owner of the public house was Jimmy Hardiman from Mullagh. It is now owned by Brendan and Marie O’Dowd.
Foley’s: Tom and Ann Hardiman now occupy this house which was originally owned by a family of Foleys.
Griffin’s Public House: This business was owned by Mrs. Julia Griffin and after her demise became the property of her nephew John Cunniffe.
Miss Meara’s: This lady had a shop between Cunniffes and Kirwans. She was named as Bridget Meara, aged 56 in the 1901 census. However the 1911 census shows that she owned a private two-roomed dwelling with five out-offices.
Miss Kirwan’s: Eliza Kirwan, in her mid 50s, was a widow and shop keeper according to the 1901 census. She owned a shop and a ten-roomed private dwelling. By the time the 1911 census was recorded the name had changed to John Kirwan. It later traded under the name Kirwan Bros. The premises is now “Kirwan’s Central Bar”, so the name Kirwan is retained.
Keane’s: Paddy Keane was a butcher and lived across the road in a house facing Kirwan’s.
Another house: Another small house was situated beside Paddy Keane’s. It was occupied by Jamesie Haverty, who, according to local sources, was a weaver. James was thirty six years of age according to the 1901 census and lived with his mother Mary, aged eighty two years.
Soughley’s: The Soughley family home was on the next site. The family were “old residenters”. Michael Sughley (sic) was listed on the south side of Killimor in Griffith’s Valuation. Francis Soughley was forty years old at the time of the 1901 census, and is again listed in the 1911 census. Sadly, no one of that name now lives in Killimor.
Killimor Culture & Heritage Centre now stands on the grounds of the old Soughley homestead.
Hobbs’s: According to the 1901 census the house next to Soughleys was occupied by Bridget Hobbs, her sister Mary Anne Sullivan and her brother Benjamin Sullivan. Local sources say that a man named Mike Larkin had a shop there (and sold a large amount of chamber pots!). Michael Larkin, aged forty years and described as a grocer, is listed in the 1901 census. He had a house of his own and possibly rented the shop space from Mrs. Hobbs.
Later on, Tom Treacy rented half this house from the owners, took over the shop and also started a carpentry business there. After the Treacys moved on to a new premises, Kal Moran had a drapery and grocery business there. Also living there was Kal’s sister Rita, who was married to Joe Hanney. Eugene Concannon now owns and lives on the premises.
Two Houses: One house faced east. It is not clear who occupied this house before Mr. and Mrs. Mattimoe – policeman and teacher respectively. Being widowed, Mrs. Mattimoe later married Austin O’Toole, and went to live in Hearnesbrook. The house was later lived in by Timmy Madden, from Garryad and his wife Kathleen Hynes, who was a dressmaker. Colm Nevin, from Tiernascragh, carried out his saddlery business in that house for some years.
The second house faced south and was lived in by the local blacksmith, John Carr and family, and it was later occupied by Mick Griffin. Both of the above houses were demolished many years ago.
Treacy’s: Tom Treacy was a shop-keeper and undertaker. The Treacy family moved to this new location in 1932, built on a site bought from Mrs. Hobbs. The premises was built by Tom Treacy and Tommy Lyons, Ramore (uncle of Johnny) and was roofed by Tom Heade, Slateford. The now disused store beside the premises was owned by Carrolls at one stage. The 1901 census lists Michael Carroll, an unmarried farmer aged sixty, and his sister Bridget, aged fifty, as living in Killimor town. Only Bridget is recorded in the 1911 census which indicated that she owned a private dwelling.
Nolan’s: Daniel Nolan occupied this house circa 1901. The census denotes that he lived in a private dwelling, with his sister Bridget, and a fifteen year old servant named Eliza Kennedy, from Tipperary. Daniel Nolan is again listed in the 1911 census as owning a seven roomed private dwelling with twelve out-offices. William Brien (senior) and his wife Katie Hardiman, from Killeen, subsequently raised their family there. The house still belongs to the Brien family.
Duffy’s Excel Warehouse: At the turn of the century this premises was owned by Pat Gibbs who came from Kilconnell. He is not mentioned in the 1901 census but the 1911 records indicate that Patrick Gibbs owned a public house in Killimor town. It was bought by Michael Duffy (Eugene’s grandfather) and in time was extended as far as the archway. The premises contained a grocery, public house and drapery business. In the late 1990s, Geraldine Neville/Duffy (R.I.P) opened a very successful pharmacy business on the premises. The establishment is now run by Eugene Duffy.
Duffy’s Private House: The house was built on a site given to Michael Duffy (Eugene’s grandfather) by his cousin Miss Duffy. Michael, and his wife Marian Connors, raised their family there. Their daughter Florrie, who ran the drapery business, lived in that house until her death. It is now owned and occupied by Eugene and his family.
Next House: Michael Duffy, according to his son Alfie, bought this particular house from a man named Lawlor. He rented it for many years to the Tooher family whose father was a member of the Garda Síochána. It was destroyed by fire in February 1967. Having been rebuilt, it was occupied by Alfie and Kitty Duffy (née Blehein), now both deceased.
Next House: Again this site was bought and the house was built by Michael Duffy. Thomas Felle and family rented the house and lived there circa 1911. Thomas Felle appears on the 1911 census as living in a private three roomed dwelling. Afterwards the house was rented out to the Garda Síochána before being occupied by Dermot and Mary Duffy and family, (Eugene’s parents).
The Curate’s House: Catholic curates in the parish occupied this house for many years. They then lived in Tiernascragh in purpose-built new accommodation. The house was eventually demolished and community houses are now built on the site.
Holohan’s: A family of Holohans resided in the house, which was situated on the far side of the pedestrian avenue leading to the church, in the space beside Porter’s house. A Mary Holohan is named, in both the 1901 and 1911 census, as living in this three-roomed private dwelling. The house was demolished many years ago.
Porter’s: Tom Porter, originally from Tynagh, and his wife Nellie Whelan from Derradda, built this house. Jack Whelan and his brother Brendan (brothers of Nellie) had a garage, a bicycle shop and two petrol pumps beside Porter’s house.
Whelan’s: Jack Whelan, at one stage County Secretary of the Gaelic Athletic Association, and his wife, Annie Porter from Oldthort, Portumna, built the house and reared their family there. It is still occupied by members of the Whelan family.
Houses and Buildings in Killimor South
Notley’s: The house was built in the early 1950s by Robert and Bridget Notley on a site bought from Horsemans.
Hanney’s Garage: The garage business was run for many years by Jimmy, Mattie and Brendie Hanney. The premises is now used by Nigel Hanney for his window/door business.
Holy Trinity Church: In order to serve the number of Protestants in the Parish at that time, Trinity Church was constructed. It is situated on the N65 road between Portumna and Loughrea at the end of the village of Killimor, and in its day was one of the smallest and most picturesque in the Diocese, being a Chapel-of-Ease to Eyrecourt church. An archaeological survey of the site was carried out on 11th April 1984, by a lady named Deirdre Guerin. In her introduction she writes:
This site consists of a church, Trinity Church, which is rectangular in shape, aligned E-W, with a chancel at its W end and a modern extension on its N side. There is a pointed doorway in the W wall with a round window above it. There are stained glass windows in both the N and S walls. This was the old protestant church of Killimor and is now used as a sub office for the Bank of Ireland.
In her recommendations she intimates that the church required no further archaeological work and that it may have been built for, and used by the local gentry, especially those who occupied the nearby Hearnesbrook House.
Bank of Ireland closed their sub-office in the building circa 1988. The Church building was also used as a venue for participants in Fleadh Cheoil, Co. na Gaillimhe, in the years 1987, 1988 and 1993.
The Representative Church Body eventually sold the premises to Brendan Lynch on 23rd November 1992.
Connaire’s: Martin Connaire came from the Derrybrien area and was a blacksmith. His daughter, Aggie, married Martin Scott from Clontuskert, who was a carpenter. The house was bought and reconstructed by Brendan Lynch.
Duffy’s Corner House: The premises was formerly Costello’s who ran a shop there. It was owned afterwards by Miss Catherine Duffy. The building was inherited by Michael Duffy and housed a grocery and bar. It is now a private dwelling and occupied by Aidan and Eileen Duffy. Tradition says that the name over Miss Duffy’s shop was the same height as the top of the spire on the Protestant Church in Portumna!
Duddy’s: The Duddy family had a shop in this premises which was previously occupied by Sparlings. John Duddy, aged thirty seven years, is described as a shop keeper in the 1901 census, and as occupying a shop with eight rooms in the 1911 census. The family later moved to Portumna and M.A. Brody acquired the building. It is now the property of Eugene Duffy.
The Parish Hall: This community building was situated beside Brody’s (now Duffy’s). Dances, plays and concerts were held there. Auctions also took place there. According to The hall held the sub-office of the Hibernian Bank, Portumna, for some years, and court cases were also heard there. It was eventually bought by the Brody family.
We know the hall was there in 1917 because permission was sought by the A.O.H. from Sinn Féin for its use.
Other Houses: There were at least two small houses beside the parish hall. Local sources say that a lady, called Kate Broderick, occupied one of the houses. However, her name does not appear on either the 1901 or 1911 census. Griffith’s Valuation shows that a Martin Broderick lived in Main St. (South Side) circa 1855, but it is not known if he was connected to Kate. A family of Conroys is believed to have occupied the second house. The 1901 census lists a sixty year old widow, named Bridget McDermott, as the head of the household. Other occupants of the house were her widowed sister, Mary Conroy, her nephews, John, Thomas and Christy Conroy and her niece Anne Conroy.
Mason’s: Dr. Anne Mason, the local G.P., her husband Bertie and their family lived in this premises and it once housed a pharmacy. It was previously occupied by the local midwife, Nurse McDonnell and her family. Dr. Mason’s brother was Fr. Michael Griffin, originally from Gurteen, Ballinasloe, who was found murdered in a bog in Barna in 1920 during the Black and Tan period. The house was eventually sold and the last owner was the late Jack Concannon.
Gibbs’s: Pat Gibbs who lived in this house, originally owned Duffy’s of Excel Warehouse. His wife was Madden from New Line, Tiernascragh. The house was later bought and occupied by Tommy and Mollie Leahy (née Donoghue) and is now owned by Pakie O’Hara.
Old RIC Barracks: The building housed the Royal Irish Constabulary, and according to local information was later bought or rented by two Miss Kearys from Portumna, who ran a shop there. It was then bought by Paddy Geoghegan (from Hearnesbrook and known as “Watty”), who had a butcher’s shop there. He rented part of the premises to Beesie Heade, who had the Post Office there, before moving up to Wynne’s house. The house is now owned and occupied by Pakie O’Hara.
Connaughton’s: According to the 1911 census, John Connaughton had a public house in Killimor, and the family of seven occupied six rooms in the building. The Byrne family subsequently bought the business from Connaughtons, and ran a grocery and butcher’s business there for many years. Byrne’s private house and the Credit Union office are now there.
Pender’s: William Pender, who served in the RIC, lived there. His name appears on the 1911 census, and his signature as an enumerator is on Form B. 1 for Killimor town His daughter, Ivy, married Vincent Walsh. They had one son, Vincent, who emigrated. The house is now owned and occupied by Pat and Ita Cormican.
Forge Yard: This area was owned by members of the Hanney family (garage) and the building at the front was used as a showroom for radios and other goods. In later years it was rented by Joe Farragher (Headstones). The building is now unoccupied.
Next Building: This is the building where Michael Duffy of Excel Warehouse started his business. It is now owned by Eddie Lynch, who runs a garage and car sales business there.
Kelly’s: A man named Thomas Kelly occupied a house in Main Street, Killimore, circa 1855 according to Griffith’s Valuation. Any connection to Timothy Kelly, who lived in Killimor in 1911, could not be established. Timothy Kelly had a bakery and shop in this building. A baker, named Thomas Duffy, is listed in the commercial section of Slater’s Directory, but it is not certain that he lived in these premises. According to local information, Tim Kelly was a cattle dealer and had a car hire business. The house, at one stage, contained the local dispensary. It was later owned by Tom Porter and is now occupied and owned by Mrs. Mary Brien (widow of Thomas) and her family.
Hough’s: John Hough, aged sixty years in 1911, was described in the census as occupying a shop and private dwelling. Information from the 1911 census listed him as owning a public house. His son Michael continued the business. In later years Michael’s sister, Agnes, and a lady named Miss Grace, lived there. The latter was supposed to be a lady-in-waiting to some important person! On fair days, rates were collected on the premises by John Hobbs, who was a rate-collector from Kiltormer. The public house was subsequently bought by Joe and Nancy Murray. The building was recently demolished a new house was constructed on the site.
Boyle’s: John Joe and Annie Boyle had a very successful tailoring and dressmaking business in the house next to Hough’s. The local dispensary was moved to this premises and it also contained the library for many years. The house was later owned by Patsy and Carmel Shiel, who were renowned members of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann. The building was reconstructed and now houses a restaurant.
Miss Stewart’s: This lady’s house was situated between Boyle’s and O’Meara’s. Miss Stewart supposedly came back from America and lived there for some years. Death records list a Margurita (sic) Stewart, who died 28th June, 1940, and is buried in Killimor cemetery. Apart from that, nothing is known about Miss Stewart only that Alfie Duffy remembered delivering a paper and a half hundred weight of coal to her every Saturday, when he was a young boy. The house was demolished several years ago.
O’Meara’s: Local sources think that this premises was once owned by Pelleys. Griffith’s Valuation indicates that a Michael Pelly lived in Main Street, Killimor, circa 1855. In 1901, John O’Meara, aged forty one, occupied a private dwelling and shop in Killimor town. According to the family, O’Mearas started their business at the rear of Fitzpatrick’s, but transferred “O’Meara’s” to new premises after the Big Wind in 1902, trading under the name P.V. O’Meara. They ran a public house, grocery and the post office. The Court House was at the end of O’Meara’s (Stewart’s end) and had a separate valuation and a separate entrance. This premises is now owned by Seán Treacy and his family.
The Weigh-Bridge: The weigh-bridge was situated on the side-walk between O’Meara’s and Fitzpatrick’s. Cattle, pigs, and loads of hay and corn, were weighed there during fairs and markets.
Frankie and Kathleen Fitzpatrick’s Bungalow: This is one of the newer houses in the town. It was built on a vacant site belonging to Fitzpatricks. It is now occupied by Patsy Murray, (son of May Fitzpatrick and Jimmy Murray) and his wife, Evelyn.
Fitzpatrick’s: The premises contained a public house. Patrick Fitzpatrick was a stone-mason who carved many headstones in the yard behind the premises. The first sliotar (hurling ball) was made in this public house. The property is now owned and occupied by Michael and Anne Nevin.
Lawlor’s: A family of Lawlors lived in this house at one stage. The 1911 census readings show that a Michael Lawlor lived in a six-room private dwelling in Killimor town. Afterwards, it was occupied by Michael O’Meara, who came from Eglish in Tipperary, and his family. Mattie and Bridgie Hanney reared their family here. The house is now owned and occupied by Jimmy and Maura Hanney.
Larkin’s/P.C. Curley’s: This was the homestead of the Larkin Family. Paddy Larkin achieved fame because of the “Killimor Rules” of hurling. P.C. Curley, from Kiltormer, married Bridget Larkin. The building was once a hotel of note, with commercial travellers, cattle dealers and others lodging there. It also housed a fine drapery shop, millinery, grocery and bar. It is now demolished. Brendan and Ailish Nevin’s house is on the site.
John Carr’s Forge: The forge was situated in P.C. Curley’s yard. John Carr came originally from Tipperary. In later years, his son, Brendie Carr, modernised the forge and started welding and doing general repairs to tractors and machinery. He ceased work there in the late 1970s. Only the shell of the building now remains.
Glynn’s: Martin Hara, Heathlawn, married into Glynn’s. His wife died and he subsequently married Kate Malone, Derradda. The house changed hands many times down through the years. The housing estates, in Valley Park and in St. Joseph’s Park, are built on the land which belonged to the house.
Connors’s: Catherine Connor, a fifty-five year old widow, is listed in the 1901 census, and the 1911 census indicates that she occupied a six-room private dwelling. Her son, Johnny Connors and his family occupied this house which was situated in the hollow opposite the old school. Local sources say that there was a pub on these premises at one stage. Johnny Connors was a plumber by trade, and his was the first house in Killimor to have running water, Johnny having devised his own water system.
Johnny Connors also owned the smaller house on the same site which he rented out. Colm Nevin continued his saddlery business there, and it was subsequently bought by Jimmy Reilly, whose family lived there until moving to St. Joseph’s Park. Both of these houses were recently demolished.
“The Burnt House”: This house was situated where the Health Centre now stands. It was also called “The Light House”. It is said there was a candle always lighting in the window facing the town. It is thought that it was owned by Patrick Clarke (Tom’s father, Moate) but this could not be verified.
The Saw–Mills: The business was situated between “The Burnt House” and what is now Carol Hanney-Gilmore’s house. It was owned and worked by Patrick Clarke, who sawed timber for hire, and supplied egg-cases to Brodys, Duffys, Murphys of Loughrea and Twibills of Ahascragh. Patrick moved to Moate in the 1920s, and worked the saw-mill there at Balnadarry Cross until circa 1940. He also had a horse-drawn hearse and an old horse-powered thresher. He did the threshing for Mackay in Hearnesbrook Demesne, and this took two to three weeks. He later got a Hornsby oil engine which was driven on paraffin. This engine had a six horse-power brake. Mackay had one with a seven horse-power brake – this engine was seen at Eyrecourt Vintage Rally in 2002, modified and in good condition. During “Rationing” Patrick Clarke got a permit for an oil supply of about forty gallons a month, to work the engines for the saw-mills.
House on the Hill: The house originally belonged to Johnny Connors. He rented it out to Miss Flood, who was Principal of the Girls’ School in the early 1900s, and subsequently to a Garda family named Crofton. It was bought by Bernie and Bernadette Hanney and now belongs to Carol Hanney-Gilmore.
Muldoon’s: According to the 1911 census Tom Muldoon occupied a four-room private dwelling in Garrynasillagh. He was a stone-mason of note, and reared his family in this dwelling. The house was later occupied by Jimmy and Annie Whelan, and subsequently by Eamonn Cunningham. It is now called the “Gable End” and owned and occupied by Leslie Kenny.