The Fair Green is now a large open space, but was totally covered by the lake until it was reclaimed in the 19th century. Fairs, where cattle, sheep and pigs were sold, were held here. The Bridewell, a holding area for prisoners before court appearance, was once located on the Fair Green and was demolished in 1969. The Courthouse is now the only building on the Green. Built from limestone in 1821, it continues to serve the town and district.
15. FAIR GREEN AND COURTHOUSE