Loughrea is regarded as dating from 1236, when Loughrea Castle was built by the Anglo-
Norman, Richard de Burgo. However, there is evidence of earlier settlement with the
remains of several sites and monuments in the area, including ringforts, souterrains,
enclosures and crannógs. The town was forti ed due to its strategic location. Its defences consisted of a town wall and a moat to the north, east and west, with the lake acting as a natural defence to the south.
This walking tour of Loughrea, comprising twenty-one heritage sites, starts at St Brendan’s Cathedral, Barrack Street, and nishes on Main Street/Dunkellin Street. Each site is speci ed by its coordinates and shown by point of interest and on the map below.
This digital trail is merely an information guide and does not act in any way as an invitation to any person to enter onto any of the properties listed in this digital trail. While every care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the compilation of this digital trail, neither the project steering committee, the editorial team, or the owners of the properties listed in the digital trail can accept responsibility for errors, omissions or inaccuracies. All information is received and published in good faith. All liabilities for loss, disappointment, negligence or any other damage caused by the reliance on information contained in this digital trail, or in the event of bankruptcy or liquidation of any organisation, company, individual or rm mentioned, or in the event of any organisation, company, individual or firm ceasing to trade, is hereby excluded.
Loughrea Heritage Trail PDF