Mackney (Urban)

Meacnaigh

Roger Harrison

Mackney

Irish Grid: M 82957 29043

 

DED: Ballinasloe Urban

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

This Parish contains a. r. p. about 1,500 acres of which is bog. It contains a very large and beautiful Demesne with a large house the seat of the Right Honble. Earl Clancarty. About 400 acres of wood in this Demesne. Houses and roads in general are in good repair.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in the eastern side of the County Galway in the barony of Cloonmacnoon, bounded by the parishes of Clontooskert, Kilgerril and Ahascragh in said barony and by Aughrim parish in the Barony of Kilconnel, by the River Suck

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Mackney.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Kilcloony.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland.

There were 4 houses in Mackney (Urban) in 1911 and 3 of those were occupied, with house 4 being empty but the landholder was listed as being the Earl of Clancarty. The 3 occupied houses were listed as being private dwellings and were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 2 was a 1st class dwelling while houses 1 and 3 were 2nd class. House 1 had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 3 had 4 rooms and 3 windows and house 2 had 10 rooms and 5 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total of 28 out buildings, 7 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 5 cow houses, 2 calf houses, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, 5 sheds and a store. There were a total 14 people in the townland at that time, 4 males and 10 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. John G. Harte.

 

House 1: Whelan

The head of this family was listed as being Joseph (36) who had been married to Mary (30) ford 9 years and they had had 4 children, Jennie (7), Kathleen (6), Mary (4) and Bridget (1). All were Roman Catholic and Joseph, Mary (36) and Kathleen were born in Co. Westmeath, Jennie was born in Co. Dublin, Mary (4) was born in Co. Meath and Bridget was born in Co. Galway. None of the family could read and Joseph was a gardener while the children were all scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a shed. The landholder was B. W. Persse.

 

House 2: Persse / Iles / O Connor / Gaynor

The head of this household was Burton Walter Persse (56) and he shared the house with Frances Iles (53), Bridget O Connor (27) and Lizzie Gaynor (34). Burton Walter was Church of Ireland, Frances was Church of England and Bridget and Lizzie were Roman Catholic and they were all born in Co. Galway. They could read and write and Burton Walter was a gentleman farm, Frances was a housekeeper, Bridget was a housemaid and Lizzie was a cook domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 10 rooms and they also had 7 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 5 cow houses, 2 cow houses, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, 4 sheds and a store. The landholder was B. W. Persse.

 

House 3: Campbell

John was the head of the last house in Mackney and he had been married to Mary (35) for 14 years during which time they had had 2 children, Michael (14) and Mary Elizabeth (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John and Mary spoke only English while Michael and Mary Elizabeth spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. John was a domestic servant, groom and valet and the children were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms. The landholder was B. W. Persse.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 5 houses in the townland of Mackney (Urban) in 1901 and they were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. Houses 1 and 3 were 1st class dwellings and houses 2, 4 and 5 were 2nd class dwellings. House 1 had 16 rooms and 8 windows in the front, house 3 had 11 rooms and 5 windows in the front and the other 3 houses had 2 rooms and 2 windows. There were a total of 17 people in the townland at that time, 6 males and 11 females. The enumerator for the area was Andrew U. Mooney.

 

House 1: Gascoyne / Smithson / Probat [sic] / Kendrick / Scott / Darcy

All in this house were single people with Annie Gascoyne (60) being listed as the head of the household and she shared the house with a servant butler, Robert Smithson, a ladies maid, Rosalie Probat [sic], a cook, Nora Kendrick (42), a housemaid, Hannah Scot (30) and a Kitchen maid, Bridget Darcy (20). Annie, Robert and Hannah were members of the Irish Church, Rosalie was a member of the National Church and Nora and Bridget were Roman Catholic. Annie was born in Tuam, Co. Galway, Robert was born in Tipperary, Rosalie was born in Lausanne, Switzerland, Nora was born in Great Fethard, Co. Tipperary, Hannah was born in George Cross and Bridget was born in Co. Galway. All the household could read and write. Annie was listed as being employed, Robert was a butler, Rosalie was a ladies maid, Nora was a cook, Hannah was a housemaid and Bridget was a kitchen maid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 16. The landholder was Anne Gascoyne.

 

House 2: McCormick

Richard (27) lived in this house with his wife, Rosalie (28). Both were Roman Catholic and Richard was born in Co. Down while Rosalie was born in Co. Antrim. They could both read and write and Richard was listed as being a coachman domestic servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms. The landholder was Anne Gascoyne.

 

House 3: Connolly

The sole occupant of this house was Norah (28) who was a Roman Catholic and born in Galway. She could speak both Irish and English but could not read and was listed as being a housekeeper domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 11 rooms. The landholder was George Crozier.

 

House 4: Cohen

Patrick (46) lived in this house with his wife, Annie (41) and they were both Roman Catholic and Patrick was born in Galway while Annie was born in Roscommon. Patrick spoke Irish and English but neither could read. Patrick was a shepherd. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and the landholder was Anne Gascoyne.

 

House 5: Magill

The head of the last house in Mackney (Urban) was William (30) and he was married to Jane (29) and they lived in the house with 4 of their children, Janie Elizabeth (9), William Samuel (8), Mary Isabel (7) and Henry John Graham (3). They were all members of the Irish Church and William and Jane were born in Co. Cavan, Janie Elizabeth and William Samuel were born in Co. Wicklow and Mary Isabel and Henry John Graham were born in Co. Donegal. William and Jane could read and write and William was a gardener domestic servant and the children were all scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and the landholder was Anne Gascoyne.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Note: Griffith’s Valuation lists Mackney as a whole, not as individual townlands, Urban and Rural.

Plot 1: Henry Gascoyne leased a house and offices on 45 acres and 36 perches of land from the Earl of Clancarty for which he paid £30 10s for the land and £36 for the buildings.

Plot 2: The Earl of Clancarty had, in fee, a plantation of 2 acres and 6 perches with an annual ratable valuation of £1 10s.

Plot 3: Thomas Gill leased a house and offices on 8 acres, 1 rood and 37 perches of land from the Earl of Clancarty for £7 5s for the land and £11 for the buildings.

Plot 4(A): William H. Burke leased a house and offices on 26 acres, 2 roods and 24 perches of land for £16 15s for the land and £7 for the buildings.

Plot 4(B) William H. Burke paid £4 10s for 5 acres, 3 roods and 32 perches of land to the Earl of Clancarty.

Plot 5: William H. Burke paid £11 15s for 18 acres, 2 roods and 24 perches of land and £4 for a house and offices to the Earl of Clancarty.

Plot 6: Patrick Curley leased a house and office on 9 acres, 3 roods and 37 perches of land for £6 for the land and £1 10s for the buildings from the Earl of Clancarty.

Plot 7: William Charles leased a house with 5 acres, 3 roods and 20 perches of land from the Earl of Clancarty for £3 10s for the land and £1 5s for the house.

Plot 8: John Clayton leased a house on 9 acres, 3 roods and 15 perches of land from the Earl of Clancarty for £6 10s for the land and £1 5s for the house.

Plot 9: Thomas Heritage paid £4 15s for 7 acres and 3 roods of land and £2 15s for a house and offices to the Earl of Clancarty.

Plot 10: James Comer leased 3 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches of land from the Earl of Clancarty for £1 15s annually.

Plot 11: John Joseph paid £13 for 24 acres, 1 rood and 36 perches of land and £1 10s for a house and offices to the Earl of Clancarty.

Plot 12: Patrick O’Malley paid £19 15s for 30 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land and £8 10s for a house and buildings to the Earl of Clancarty.

This page was added on 29/09/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *