Irish Grid: M 81981 31056 Lat / Long: 53.3297, -8.27118
DED: Ballinasloe (Rural)
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
This townland contains a. r. p. (141 acres, 0 roods, 23 perches) about 2/5 of which is bog the remainder under cultivation of a good quality. Houses and roads are in good repair. It is the property of the Earl Clancarty. Held by deed for ever. Pays £1.1.3 County Cess.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Is situated in a central part of the parish bounded by Kilcloony, Iskerroe, Garbaly ?, Knocknagraine and ? townlands.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Tobergrellan.
- Garbally Demesne (Rural)
- Garbally Demesne (Urban)
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Kilcloony.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: Full Census records are available See below.
1911: Full Census records are available See below.
Overview of the townland
There was just 1 house in the townland of Tobergrellan in 1911 and it was occupied and listed as being a private dwelling. It was a 2nd class dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It had 4 rooms and 3 windows to the front. The enumerator for the area was Const. Timothy Kellerher.
House 1: Mars
The sole occupant of this house was the widow, Eliza (58). She was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Fermanagh. She could read and write and was listed as being a housekeeper. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and it had a stable and a piggery. The landholder was the Earl of Clancarty.
Overview of the townland.
There were just 2 houses in the townland in 1901 and they were both occupied and listed as being private dwellings. Both houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. Both were 2nd class dwellings and house 1 had 5 rooms and 3 windows while house 2 had 6 rooms and 5 windows to the front. The enumerator for the area was Daniel Currane.
House 1: Omar
The sole occupant of this house was Henery [sic] (53) who was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke both Irish and English, could read and write and was listed as being a stud groom. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and the landholder was Henery [sic] Omar.
House 2: Birmingham / Campion
There were 11 members of this household and the head was listed as being William C. (42), who was married to Nora (37) and they shared the house with 8 of their children, Margaret (17), Michael (15), Martin (13), William (13), Nora (12), Joseph (8), Jane (5) and Gerald (1) and also in the house at that time was a cousin, Anne Campion (80). Anne was a Methodist while all the others were Roman Catholic. William C., Joseph, Jane and Gerald were born in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, Norah (37) was born in Scarriff, Co. Clare, Margaret and Michael were born in Portumna, Co. Galway, Martin, William and Nora (12) were born in Kilconnell, Co, Galway and Anne was born in Aughrim, Co. Galway. With the exception of the 2 youngest children, all could read and write. William C. was an engine driver, Margaret was a housekeeper, Michael was an agricultural labourer, Martin, William, Nora (12) and Joseph were scholars and Anne had no employment. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 6 rooms and the landholder was William Birmingham.
Plot 1: The Earl of Clancarty had in fee (for himself) had 82 acres, 3 roods and 34 perches of land that had an annual ratable valuation of £23 10s.
Plot 1a: Joseph North leased a house with a garden of 2 roods and 25 perches and offices from the Earl of Clancarty for 15s for the garden and £4 for the buildings.