Irish Grid: M 79719 31499 Lat / Long: 53.3336, -8.30515
DED: Ballinasloe Rural
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
This townland contains a. r. p. (303 acres, 2 roods and 11 perches) about ½ of which is bog, the remainder arable and pasture of good quality. Houses and roads in good repair. It is the property of Dudley Persse, Esqr. Pays £8.10.8½ County Cess, included with Killeen.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Lies at the N. West boundary of the parish, is bounded by Kilcloony, Killeen, Knockroe, Brackernagh Persse, Knockloss and Ballynamockagh in this parish, by Kilmalow, Leanafin and Killinemon in the parish of Kilgerril and Barony of Cloonmacnoon.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Perssepark.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Kilcloony.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: Full Census records are available See below.
1911: Full Census records are available See below.
Overview of Townland.
There were a total of 4 houses in the townland of Perssepark but only 2 were occupied, houses 1 and 2. The landholder of the unoccupied houses was the M.G.W. Railway Company. Both the occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with house 1 having only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing while house 2 had a slate, iron or tiled roof. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling and house 2 was a 1st class. House 1 had 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 2 had 12 rooms and 8 windows to the front. There were 10 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, a coach house, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries, a fowl house and a barn. Seven people lived in the townland at that time, 3 males and 4 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Timothy Kelleher.
House 1: Carroll
The head of the family in house 1 was Frank (74) who had been married to Anne (70) for 4 years and during that marriage they had had 9 children with 8 of those surviving until that time. They shared the house with 2 of those children, Bridget (42) and Frank (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic and only Anne and Frank (28) could read and write. Frank (74) was a shepherd and Frank (28) was a shepherd’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Algernon Persse.
House 2: Kelly
Henry C. (48) lived in this house with his sisters, Lizzie (46) and Margaret (44). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic and all could read and write. Henry C. was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 12 rooms and they had 3 stables, a coach house, a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Henry C. Kelly.
Overview of the townland
There were just 2 houses in Perssepark in 1901 and both were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. Both houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing while house 2 only had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 had 16 rooms and 8 windows to the front while house 2 had 2 rooms and 2 windows. The enumerator for the area was Daniel Currane.
House 1: Kelly / Cane / Gibson
The widower, Wm. J. (80) was the head of this household and he shared the house with 3 of his children M. C. K. (30), Elizabeth (28) and Margret (25) and 2 servants, Patrick Cane (30) and Mary L. Gibson (25). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic E. R. They all spoke only English and could read and write. Wm J. was a farmer, M. C. K. was a farmer’s son, Elizabeth and Margret were farmer’s daughters and Patrick and Mary were general servants. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 16 rooms and the landholder was William Kelly.
House 2: Carroll
The head of this family was Frances (63) and he was married to Anne (58) and they shared the house with 3 of their children, Bridget (30), Ellen (20) and Frances (18). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic E. R. and all, apart from Frances (63), could read and write. Frances (63) was a herdsman, Bridget and Ellen were housekeepers and Frances (18) was an agricultural labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and the landholder was Algernon Persse.
Plot 1A: William Masters leased 152 acres, 3 roods and 26 perches of land from Dudley Persse for £12 15s.
Plot 1Ba: William Masters leased a herd’s house and 113 acres, 1 rood and 36 perches of land from Dudley Persse for £54 10s for the land and £1 for the herd’s house.
Plot 2A: William Persse leased 4 acres and 23 perches of land from Dudley Persse for £1 15s.
Plot 2Ba: William Persse paid £21 for 22 acres, 3 roods and 30 perches and £10 for a house and offices to Dudley Persse.
Plot 3: Henry Beausire [sic], Sec. M. G. W. Railway Company had in fee (for themselves) 348 linear perches of railway with a total area of 9 acres, 3 roods and 36 perches that had an annual ratable valuation of £43 10s.