LETTERMORE

Carricklegaun Bridge
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Curvilinear Causeway
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage

Lettermore

Leitir Móir (Gaeilge)

meaning of Irish place name:

mór– great, big

leitir (also: leitreach)- hillside

Historical description:

Gazetteer of Ireland, Vol. II, 1843-44, p. 663.

LETTERMORE, an island in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, co. Galway, Connaught. It screen much of the south side of Kilkerran bay,- or, in a sense, lies in the mouth of that bay; and is separated by narrow sounds from Innisbtravin on the north, Annaghvaan on the north-east, the main-land on the east, Garomna on the south, Innisbarra on the south-west, and Innisghaun on the west. Its length westward, is 3 ¼ miles; its extreme breadth is 2; and its highest ground has an altitude above sea-level of 388 feet. On its south coast is a coast-guard station.

LINKS

Place name:

http://www.logainm.ie

Genealogy:

Griffith’s Valuation Lettermore

Census Search 1841/1851 Lettermore

History:

http://places.galwaylibrary.ie

http://www.duchas.ie

Heritage:

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie

 

This page was added on 24/02/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *