Ardberreen is situated in the civil parish of Killoran, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Springfield and Englishtown, on the east by part of Walshtown, on the west by part of Gortevoher and on the south by Gortevoher and Walshtown.
O’Donovan’s Field Name book provides another spelling of this townland; Adberreen.
Down Survey map under the name ‘Clonloghane’ shows that this land was owned in 1641 by Bryan McDonnell O’Madden a catholic. It was owned in 1670 by Edward Eyres, a catholic and Sir James Cuffe, a protestant. It specifies that there were 63 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 408 plantation acres of profitable land and 408 acres of forfeited land.
There was only 1 house in Ardberreen in 1901. There were 9 residents in total: 3 were male and 6 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was Margaret Manning. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 shows her house was built as a private dwelling. The house roof was made of perishable material. The walls were built of stone, brick or concrete.
Margaret Manning (80) was a widow. She was a farmer. She spoke Irish and English. Listed were her daughter, her son and her daughter in law. Kate (25) was single. She was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. Patrick (42) was married. He was recorded as a farmer’s son. Mary (39) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter in law. Margaret had 5 grandchildren. Bridget (16) was recorded as a farmer’s granddaughter. Mary (14), Marcella (11) and Joseph (10) were scholars. Patt was 3 years old. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front window and 5 outhouses. Margaret Manning owned the land her house was situated on.
There was only 1 house in Ardberreen in 1911. There were 6 residents in total: 3 were male and 3 were female. The head of the household was Patrick Manning. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 6th of April 1911 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built of stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with perishable material.
Patrick Manning (55) was a farmer. He was married for 30 years to Mary (54). They had 8 children with 6 living in 1911. Listed were their 4 unmarried children. Joseph (20) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Mary (25) and Marcella (22) had no occupations recorded for them. Patrick (13) was a scholar. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. Patrick Manning owned the land the house was situated on.