Ballykilladea

Civil Parish of Killinny

Natalie Cyrkel / University of Galway / Galway County Heritage Office

Ballymacillade/ Bhaile Mhic Giolla Dhé

townland, town, homestead

Ballykilladea is situated in the east of the parish of Killinny, in the barony of Kiltartan. This barony was located in County Galway.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) recorded Farro O’Hine, a Catholic, as the landowner. The townland was recorded as ‘Balligilligagh.’ There were 22 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 45 of profitable land.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books recorded 2 forts and McDooagh’s Holy Well in Ballykilladea. The proprietor at the time was Patrick Egan, Esq., Gort. The middleman was Henry Lahiff, Esq., Gort. The land in which Henry occupied included cattle and sheep. The leases were of lives and years. The 2 leasing occupants were on a joint lease of 61 years for 16 shillings per acre per year. The county cess or tax was 2 shillings 9.5 pence, with no tithe. The soil was reported to be light, sandy, and gravel like. The usual crops were wheat, oats, and potatoes. The authority was Thomas Kimprey. The primary name was Kimprey.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

William Blair was the only occupant recorded in Ballykilladea in 1855. He owned 2 holdings: land (135 acres, 0 roods, 17 perches) and a herd’s house, offices, and land (0 acres, 2 roods, 0 perches). The value was £61-5-0. The total annual valuation of rateable property was  £61-5-0 for 135 acres, 2 roods, and 17 perches of house, offices, and land.

1901 Census

No results on the national archive website (06/02/2024).

1911 Census

No results on the national archive website (06/02/2024).

 

This page was added on 13/03/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.