Killinny West

Civil Parish of Killinny

Natalie Cyrkel / University of Galway / Galway County Heritage Office

Cill Eithne Thiar

Cell church

In County Galway in the barony of Kiltartan is the parish of Killinny. In the southern region of this parish is the townland Killinny West.

The Down Survey Map under the name ‘Killinny,’ recorded 266 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 188 of profitable land, and 188 of forfeited land. Robert Linch (Catholic) was the owner in 1641 (pre Cromwell) and Robert Baron Trimleston Barnewell (Catholic) was the owner in 1670 (post Cromwell).

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books highlighted alternative spellings used: Cill Eithne, Kiliney, Killinhy, Kilhenny, Killenny West. A. Lynch, Esq., Squareaven, Dublin was the proprietor, and there was no agent. There were 10 occupying tenants paying the yearly rent of 100 pounds [irish currency][sic]. The county cess or tax was 2 shillings 9.5 pence per acre and the tithe was withheld by the tenantry. The soil in Killinny West was characterised by sandy, rocky, and stony. Wheat, oats, and potatoes were the main crop grown. There was a Roman Catholic school of 33 boys and 15 girls, it was established in 1838 and financed by scholars. The primary family names were Gready and Higgins. The listed authority was Thomas Connelly. 

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

In the civil parish of Killinny, in the townland of Killinny West, James Stanley was the primary landowner in 1855, with the exception of a few small landowners. The following occupants all were tenants of James Stanley. Thos. [sic] Shaughnessy, Peter Larkin, Patrick Hynes, James Grady, and Michael Grady Jun. all leased a divided plot of land with an area of 10-1-27. Thos, Peter, and Patrick paid £0-6-0 and James and Michael paid £0-3-0. Joseph Burke was leasing 3 holdings: land (10-3-13), land (40-3-15), and a house and land (4-1-5). These holdings had a recorded value of £6-5-0. Gilbert Ford’s holdings were as follows: land (15-2-8), land (21-0-28), land (29-3-15), and a house and land (12-1-28). The value of these holdings was estimated to be £11-15-0. Michael Grady Sen. and Honoria Grady leased 2 holdings of house and land (10-3-14) and 1 holding of land (24-0-36). The values were £3-3-0 and £3-2-0. Thos. [sic] Shaughnessy and Peter Larkin leased land (76-2-26) and a holding of land and a house and land, the combined area of the holdings was 23-0-6. These values were £5-17-0 and £6-7-0. Gilbert Forde, Joseph Burke, Michael Grady Sen., and Honoria Grady all leased 2 holdings of land, divided into: one 8 acres, 1 roods, 29 parches, and another of 9 acres, 2 roods, and 0 parches. Each individual paid £1-1-0. Michael Grady Jun. was also leasing from James, he was leasing a holding of a house, offices, and land with an area of 26-3-27. The value was £10-0-0. James Grady had the same holding with an area of 25-1-24 and a value of £10-10-0. Together James Grady and Michael Grady Jun. leased a holding of land (113-0-24) worth £3-10-0. James Grady, Michael Grady Jun., and Patrick Hynes leased 2 holdings of land and a house and land with the area of 10-3-5. The last holding was land with an area of 49-2-13. The holdings of land were each £3-10-0 and the house and land was £4-0-0. Bridget Cullen was recorded to be leasing a house and garden from Peter Larkin. The area was 0 acres, 1 rood, and 20 perches. The value of the holding was £0-10-0. Honoria Ryan was listed as a tenant for a house and small garden owned by James Grady, Michael Grady Jun., and Patrick Hynes. The area was not recorded, the value was listed to be £0-5-0

The total annual valuation of rateable property paid overall in Killinny West was £77-12-0 for 533 acres, 0 roods, and 39 perches of house, offices, and land.

 

1901 Census

In 1901, 8 households of  37 people lived in Killinny West. There were 16 males and 21 females. All inhabitants were Roman Catholic. Houses were made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of the houses were made of thatch, wood, or other perishable material. All of the houses were built as private dwellings. The houses were 2nd, 3rd, or 4th class.  It is noted that there was no out-offices and farm steadings return form in the 1901 census for this townland, therefore the details of the out-offices and farm steadings is unknown.

Joseph Burke (50) was a farmer married to Mary Burke (50). The couple lived in a 2nd class house with their five unmarried children, Delia Burke (20), Michl [sic] Burke (18), Patrick Burke (12), Mary Burke (11), and Julia Burke (9). They also lived with a lodger, Catherine Ballinger (85), who was a widowed wool spinner. Delia and Michl farmer’s sons/ daughters, Patrick, Mary, and Julia were scholars. There was no occupation listed for Mary. All were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. Joseph could only read, the rest of the Burkes were able to read and write. Catherine Ballinger could not read nor write. All individuals in the household spoke Irish and English. The 2nd class house had 3 front windows, 3 rooms, and 4 out-offices and farm- steadings. Joseph owned the land on which his house was situated.

James Forde (53) was a farmer who lived with his wife, Anne Forde (35). The two lived with their six unmarried children in a 2nd class home. The children were, Mary Forde (18), Patrick Forde (14), Thomas Forde (11), Anne Forde (5), Norah Forde (2), and Jane Forde (8 months). The only occupations listed were Patrick, Thomas, and Anne as scholars. All Forde family members were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. James, Norah and Jane were unable to read, the rest of the family was able to read and write. Irish and English were listed for the whole family, with the exception of Anne, Norah, and Jane. The family of eight lived in a 2nd class which had 3 front windows, 3 rooms, and 4 out-offices and farm- steadings. James Forde owned the land on which his house was situated.

Patrick Forde (40) was a farmer who lived with his wife Jane Forde (60) and their unmarried daughter, Mary Anne Forde (13). Jane was a farmer’s wife and Mary Anne was a scholar. All three were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. Mary Anne was the only one who could read and write. All Fordes spoke Irish and English. The family of three resided in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows, 3 rooms, and 5 out-offices and farm- steadings. Patrick owned the land on which his house was situated.

Michl Grady (84) was a widower and farmer. He lived with his son, James Grady (50), James’s wife, Ann Grady (45), and Michl’s granddaughter, Mary Whelan (2) in a 2nd class house. At the time the census was recorded, a visitor, Sarah Spellman (18) was living with the family. Like his father, James was a farmer, Ann was a farmer’s wife. There was no occupation listed for Sarah Spellman. All were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic, with the exception of Mary, who had no birthplace listed. Michl [sic] and James could not read, Ann and Sarah could read and write. All individuals in the household spoke Irish and English, with no language listed for Mary (2). The 2nd class house had 3 front windows, 3 rooms, and 4 out-offices and farm- steadings. Michl owned the land on which his house was situated.

Patrick Grady (75) was a widow who lived alone. Patrick was a farmer born in County Galway. He spoke Irish and English and was unable to read nor write. Patrick identified as Roman Catholic. Patrick lived in a 1 room, 4th class house on land owned by James Forde. The house had no front facing windows or out-offices or farm- steadings. 

Bartly Hynes (65) was a farmer who lived with his wife, Mary Hynes (54). The two lived with their six unmarried children, Thos Hynes (29), John Hynes (27), Ellen Hynes  (25), Mary Hynes (23), Michael Hynes (16), and Peter Hynes (12). John, Ellen, Mary, and Michael were farmer’s sons/ daughters. There was no fixed employment listed for Thos [sic]. Peter was a scholar. All Hynes family members were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. All eight family members were able to read and write, with the exception of Mary (54). Irish and English were listed for the whole family, with the exception of Mary (54), who only spoke Irish. The Hynes family lived in a 2nd class which had 3 front windows, 3 rooms, and 5 out-offices and farm- steadings. Bartly owned the land on which his house was situated.

Catherine Grady (60) was a widow who lived alone. She was a thread spinner born in County Galway. Catherine spoke Irish and English and was unable to read nor write. Catherine identified as Roman Catholic. Her home was a 3rd class house on land owned by Michl [sic] Grady. The house had 1 room, 1 front facing window and no out-offices or farm- steadings. 

 

1911 Census

Killinny West in 1911 consisted of 7 households of 33 inhabitants. There were 17 males and 16 females. All inhabitants were Roman Catholic. Houses were made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of the houses were made of thatch, wood, or other perishable material. All of the houses were built as private dwellings. The eighth building was Killiney [sic] N. [National] School [sic], made of stone, brick, or concrete, and the roof made of slate, iron, or tiles. The school was not inhabited. The household heads were Joseph Burke, James Forde, Patrick Forde, Anne Grady, Patrick Larkin, and Bridget O’Dea.

Joseph Burke (66) was a widower and a farmer. Joseph lived with his four unmarried children, Michael Burke (28), Patrick Burke (22), Mary Burke (19), and Julia Burke (18). In the house was also Joseph’s granddaughter, Mary Anne Shiel (3). All of the children were farmer’s sons/ daughters, Mary Anne was a scholar. All were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. All of the Burkes were able to read and write, except Joseph could only read, and Mary Anne could not read nor write. Only Joseph and Michael had Irish and English listed as languages. The Burke home was a 2nd class house with 3 front windows, 3 rooms, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn. Joseph owned the land on which his house was situated.

James Forde (65) was a widowed farmer who lived with his 8 unmarried children in a 2nd class home. The children were, Thomas Forde (22), Annie Forde (16), Honor Forde (15), Jane Forde (11), Gilbert Forde (10), Michael Forde (8), Bridget Forde (7), and Margret Forde (5). All of the children’s occupations were as scholars, with the exception of Annie, who was a farmer’s daughter. All Forde family members were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. All were able to read and write, except James, Bridget, and Margret. Only James had Irish and English listed. The family of 9 lived in a 2nd class, 3 bedroom house which had 3 front windows. On the Forde’s land was 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 barn. James Forde was the land owner.

Patrick Forde (35) was a farmer who lived with his wife of 2 years, Mary Anne Forde (23) and their unmarried son, John Joe Forde (11 months), and a boarder, John Walsh (7). John Joe was the only child from this marriage as of 1911. John Joe and John were scholars. All were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic, except Patrick who was born in County Clare. All individuals in the home could read and write, with the exception of John Joe. There were no language specifications recorded. The family resided in a 2nd class home with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The property consisted of 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn. Patrick Forde owned the land on which his house was situated.

Anne Grady (55) was a widower. She lived with her nieces and nephews, Michael Spelman (19), Bridget Whelan (14), and Mary Whelan (12) in a 2nd class house. Michael was an agricultural labourer, Bridget and Mary were scholars. There was no occupation listed for Anne Grady. All were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. All family members could read and write. Only Anne had Irish and English listed. The 2nd class, 3 bedroom house had 3 front windows. On the land was 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 barn. Anne Grady was the landowner.

Patrick Larkin (58) was a single farmer who lived with his sister Ellen Larkin (45). There was no occupation listed for Ellen. Both were born in County Galway and identified as Roman Catholic. Ellen could read and write, Patrick could not. The Larkins were able to speak Irish and English. The siblings lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows, 3 rooms, 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn. Patrick owned the land on which his house was situated.

Bridget O’Dea (78) was a widower in 1911. She lived with her unmarried son, Owen O’Dea (49) who was a book maker, documented as “deaf and dumb.” Bridget also lived with her grandson, John Joe Mulkerrin (14), a scholar born in the state of Connecticut, USA. Owen and John Joe could read and write, Bridget could not. Bridget was the only one with Irish and English listed. All three identified as Roman Catholic, Owen and Bridget were born in County Galway. The family lived in a 3 bedroom, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. There was 1 coach house and 1 piggery. The land was owned by Anne Grady.

Bartlmead (Bartholomew) Ó hEidhin (Hynes) 1  (73) was a farmer married to Maire (Mary) ne hidhin bean (Hynes) (70). The couple was married for 45 years as of 1911, and had 7 children still living of the 9 born. The pair lived with their son, Seaghán (John) Ó hEidhin (Hynes)(39), and his wife of 2 years, Brigid (Bridget) ni hEidhin (Hynes)(37), and their son, Páidín (Padraig) Ó hEidhin (Hynes)(1). Padraig was the only child of John and Bridget’s marriage as of 1911. John was also recorded as a farmer. All of the Hynes family identified as Roman Catholic. Bartholomew, John, and Padraig were born in County Galway. Mary and Bridget were born in County Clare. Bartholomew, John, and Bridget could read and write, Mary and Padraig could not read. Irish and English were listed for Bartholomew, John, and Brigid, only Irish was listed for Mary. There was no language listed for Padraig. The family resided in a 2nd class house of 3 rooms, 4 front windows, 2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn. Bartholomew Hynes owned the property on which his house and farm steadings were situated. 

1 It is noted that this family’s censuses information was recorded in Irish. For reading purposes, the English translation of the names is provided.

This page was added on 13/03/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.