Ballintubber East, Baile an Tobair Thoir, town of the well

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Ballantubber East

Ballintubber East lies partly in the north eastern part of the parish and is bounded by Ballanlaur, Newgrove, Ballantubber West and Glanaskehy in the parish of Kilreekil and by Eastwell in the parish of Killallaghtan in the barony of Kilconnell.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give 2 other spellings of this townland: Ballintobber and Ballintober East.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Carrowentubber’ was owned by Laughlin Donnellan, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Art Geoghegan, a catholic in 1670. It states there were 74 plantation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 6 houses in Ballintubber East. There were 26 residents in total: 17 were male and 9 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Burns, Michael Sheridan, William Connell, Bernard Monaghan, Patrick Tarpy and Mary Kennedy. The census taken on the 6th and 8th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

John Burns (63) worked as a farm labourer. He was married to Ellen (53).  Their sons: Michael (25), William (21) and Laurence (16) were single. They were recorded as farm labourers. William and Laurence could read. The rest of the family could not read. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 1 front window and 1 outhouse. Anne Mannion of Newgrove owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Sheridan (72) was a widower. He worked as a farmer and tailor. His sons: Thomas (39) and Peter (21) were single. Thomas was recorded as a tailor. Peter was recorded as a farm labourer. They could read and write. Michael could not read. He could speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 4 front windows and 3 outhouses. Michael Sheridan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

William Connell (32) was a farmer. Listed were his sisters: Mary (48) and Anne (41). Anne was recorded as a housekeeper. All 3 were single. They could read and write. The family lived in a 3rd  class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 2 outhouses. William Connell owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bernard Monaghan (54) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (52). They could speak Irish and English. Their daughter Bridget (22) was single. Their sons Bartholomew (16) and Thomas (14) were scholars. Bernard’s brother Patrick (56) was single. He was recorded as a R.I.C pensioner. Bernard and Mary could read. The rest of the family could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. Bernard Monaghan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Tarpy (30) was a farmer. Listed were his 4 siblings: William (28), Bridget (24), Michael (20) and Mary (16). The entire family were unmarried. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. Patrick Tarpy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Kennedy (60) was a widow. She was a farmer. She could speak Irish and English. She had 3 unmarried children: Patrick (32), John (20) and Bridget (16).  John was a scholar. Mary could read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 3 outhouses. Mary Kennedy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 6 houses in Ballintubber in 1911. There were 19 residents in total: 13 were male and 6 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Thomas Sheridan, William Connell, Bryan Monahan, Patrick Tarpey, Mary Kennedy and John Burnes. The census taken on the 6th of April 1911 shows the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material except for John Burnes’s house. His roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Thomas Sheridan (47) was a tailor and farmer. He was married for 9 years to Delia (38). They had 3 children with 2 living in 1911. Julia (5) and Mary B (3) could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. Michael Larkin (35) was single. He was recorded as a farm labourer. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. Thomas Sheridan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

William Connell (40) was single. He was recorded as a farmer and labourer. He could read and write. He lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 cow house. William Connell owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bryan Monahan (66) was a widower. He was a farmer. He could speak Irish and English. His sons Bartly (26) and Thomas (24) and his brother Patrick (68) were single. Patrick was recorded as a R.I.C pensioner. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Bryan Monahan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Tarpey (45) and his sister Bridget (35) were single. They were farmers. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Patrick Tarpey owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Kennedy (70) was a widow. She had 7 children with 6 living in 1911. Her son Patrick (41) and her daughter Bridget (27) were single. They could read, write and spoke English. Mary and Patrick were farmers. Mary could speak Irish and English. She could not read. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Mary Kennedy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Burnes (73) was a widower. His 3 sons: Michael (40), William (30) and Lawrence (26) were single. All 4 were recorded as labourers. John and Lawrence could not read. Michael and William could read. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 shed. John Burnes owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 22/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *