Ballinlaur is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekill. It lies on the eastern part of the parish and is bounded by Cloonmian, Newgrove and Ballantubber East. It is also bounded by Ballydonnellan West in the parish of Killaloughtan.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Beal Atha na Lar, Ballanlaur, Ballinalawer and Bealanalara.
Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Bellanclare’ was owned by Sir Richard Blake, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Robert Blake, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 3 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 90 plantation acres of profitable land.
There were 2 houses in Ballinlaur in 1901. There were 10 residents in total: 3 were male and 7 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Bridget Regan and John Murray. The census taken on the 6th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Bridget Regan’s roof was made with perishable material. John Murray’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
Bridget Regan (62) was a widow. She was a farmer. She could speak Irish and English. Her son Thomas (36) was single. He was recorded as a labourer. They could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 cow house and 1 fowl house. Bridget Regan owned the land the house was situated on.
John Murray (50) could speak Irish and English. He and his nephew James Clarke (19) were recorded as shepherds. He had 6 nieces, all with the surname Clarke. Mary Anne (30), Bridget (28), Essie (27) and Ellen (25) had no occupations recorded for them. Julia (24) and Kate (20) were recorded as dressmakers. The entire family were unmarried. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed. George Kerr Mahon of Ballydonnelllan owned the land John Murray’s house was situated on.
There were 2 houses in Ballinlaur in 1911. I house was uninhabited. It was owned by Kate Regan. It was a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. The censes taken on the 13th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. James Clarke’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Kate Regan’s roof was made with perishable material.
James Clarke (37) was a farmer. Listed were his 5 sisters: Bridget (57), Tessie (50), Ellie (49), Julie (45) and Kate (40). Kate was recorded as a seamstress. Their uncle John Murray was 75 years old. The entire household were single. All residents were Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. James, Bridget and Tessie could write. Julie and Kate could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house. James Clarke owned the land the house was situated on.