Carnaun, An Carnán, a heap

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Carnaun

Carnaun is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil. It lies east north east of the centre of the parish and is bounded by the townlands of Laearhoonagoppague, Doon and Newgrove. It is also bounded by Cloonmain in the parish of Killoran.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Carnan, Carnaan, Cornanmore,Carnanmore, Carnanemore, Carnane and Carna.

 

Down Survey Map show this land under the name’Clurhan’ was owned by John Blake, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Dominick Browne, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 20 plantation acres of unprofitable land. There were 68 plantation acres of profitable land and 68 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 4 houses in Carnaun in 1901. There were 16 residents in total: 7 were male and 9 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the household were: Patrick Broderick/Thomas Finn, Anna Connaughton, Michael Madden and Laurence Deely. The census taken on the 11th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Patrick Broderick (26) worked as a shepherd. He could speak Irish and English. He was married to Kate (21). They could read and write. Their children: Selia (2) and Bridget (2 months) could not read. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michael Fahy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Finn (54) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Bridget (46). They could speak Irish and English. Their son Michael (9) was a scholar. Bridget and Michael could read and write. Thomas could not read. Their home had 1 room. Michael Fahy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Anna Connaughton (60) was a widow. She was a farmer. She had 3 unmarried children. John (38) and Ellen (21) had no occupations recorded. Maggie (17) was a scholar. The entire family could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Anna Connaughton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Madden (44) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (34). Their son John was 1 year old. Michael’s mother Mary (86) was a widow. She could speak Irish and English. John and Mary could not read. Michael and Bridget could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Michael Madden owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Laurence Deely (65) was a widower. He was a farmer. He could speak Irish and English. He could not read. He lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 1 shed. Laurence Deely owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 4 houses in Carnaun in 1911. 1 house with 4 rooms and 4 front windows was uninhabited. 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn was recorded on this site. It was owned by Thomas Monaghan. The other 3 houses had 14 residents in total: 7 were male and 7 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the household were: Michael Madden, Anna Connaughton and Thomas Finn. The census taken on the 5th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs was made with perishable material.

 

Michael Madden (54) was a farmer. He was married for 12 years to Bridget (46). They had 4 children with 4 living in 1911. John (11), Ellen (9) and Michael (8) were scholars. Mary (4) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Michael Madden owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Anna Connaughton (69) was a widow. She was a farmer. he had been married 49 years. She had 10 children with 9 living in 1911. Her daughter Margret (24), her niece Margret Dolan (10) and her nephew Joseph Brien (15) could read and write. Anna could read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. Anna Connaughton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Finn (70) worked as a herd. He was married for 36 years to Bridget (60). They had 6 children with 6 living in 1911. Their sons Martin (23) and Michael (20) were single. Thomas could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. Thomas Finn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 22/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *