Drought, Drochta, dew

Civil Parish of Kilreekill

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Drought

Drought is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekill. It lies in the southern part of the parish and is bounded by Kilboght, Emla, Dartfield and Coolinny. It is also bounded by Bally and Kilmeen in the parish of Kilmeen.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Drucht, Draught, Droght, Dhrucht and Droughty.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Droughtie’was owned by Robert Blake, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 104 plantation acres of unprofitable land. There were 187 plantation acres of profitable land and 187 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 5 houses in Drought in 1901. 1 house was uninhabited. It was owned by James North Hardy. The other 4 houses had 17 residents in total: 9 were male and 8 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Michael Larkin, Michael Quinn, John Manton and Mary Forde. The census taken on the 3rd of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone brick or concrete.  Michael Larkin’s house roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. The other roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Michael Larkin (60) was a shepherd. He could speak Irish and English. He could not read. He was married to Anne (56). Their son Michael (23) was single. Anne and Michael (23) could read and write. The family lived in a 1st class house with 12 rooms and 7 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed. John North Hardy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Quinn (60) worked as a farm labourer. He was married to Bridget (41). They had 2 unmarried children. Patrick (25) was recorded as a farm labourer. Mary (20) was a scholar. Bridget could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 fowl house. James North Hardy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Manton (67) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (65). They could speak Irish and English. They had 3 unmarried children: Thomas (26), John J (22) and Delia (24).  Visitor Mary Anne Hardiman (10) was a scholar. The entire household could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 2 sheds. John Manton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Forde (64) was a widow. She could read. Her sons Patrick (34) and Denis (28) were recorded as shepherds. Denis was single. Patrick was married to Anne (35). He could not read. Denis and Anne could read and write. Mary and Anne could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 barn and 1 shed. James North Hardy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 5 houses in Drought in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited. The other 4 houses had 18 residents in total: 11 were male and 7 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Manton, Patrick Forde, Michael Quinn and Michael Larkin. The census taken on the 8th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Michael Larkin’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. The other roofs were made with perishable material.

 

John Manton (78) was a farmer. He was married for 46 years to Bridget (78). They could speak Irish and English. They had 6 children with 6 living in 1911. Their son John James (33) and their granddaughter Bridget Teresa Hardiman (23) were both single. The entire family could read and write. John James and Bridget Teresa spoke English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 9 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. John Manton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Forde (78) was a widow. She had been married for 45 years. She had 8 children with 8 living in 1911. Her sons Martin (40) and Denis (37) were single. Her son Patrick (47) was married for 10 years to Anne (42). Mary, Patrick and Anne were farmers. Mary’s niece Mary was 9 years old. Mary (78) and Anne could speak Irish and English. Patrick could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. The lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Patrick Forde owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Quinn (75) was a farmer. He was married for 37 years to Bridget (67). She could speak Irish and English. They had 3 children with 2 living in 1911. Patrick (35) and Mary (31) were single. Bridget could read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. Michael Quinn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Larkin (78) was a widower. He was a farmer. He could speak Irish and English. His sons Patrick (38) and Michael (27) were single. His grandson Michael Donohue was 8 years old. Michael (78) and Patrick could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 1st class house with 7 rooms and 7 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Michael Larkin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 21/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *