Emlagh, Imleach, a holm or land bordering on a lake

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Emlagh

Emlagh is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil, barony of Leitrim Co Galway. It lies south west of the centre of the parish and is bounded by Droght, Kilboght, Carumagarry, Wallscourt and Dartfield.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Emleach, Imlagh, Emelach and Emlaght.

 

Down Survey Map shows Sir Richard Blake, a catholic owned the land in 1641and Robert Blake, a protestant owned it in 1670. It states there were 12 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 136 plantation acres of profitable land and 136 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

No records were found for Emlagh in the 1901 or 1911 census.

 

This page was added on 21/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *