Glanaskehy, Gleann na Sceiche, valley of the thorn or bush

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD).

Glanaskehy

Glanaskehy lies in the northern end of the parish. It is bounded by the townlands of Ballantubber East and Ballantubber West in the parish of Kilreekil, by Carra, Raugloss, Treenbaun and Tuskeyland in the parish of Killaan and by Ballynabilla and Eastwell in the parish of Killallaghtan.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Glennaskehy, Glean na Sgeithi, Glanniskehy, Glanskehy and Glanskea.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Glanisheeg’ was owned by Thomas Bodkin, a protestant in 1641. It was owned by Samuell Ffoxon, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 12 plantation acres of profitable land and 12 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 2 houses in Glanaskehy in 1901. There were 24 residents in total: 18 were male and 6 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Michael Monaghan and Patrick Brien. The census taken on the 8th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick Brien’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Michael Monaghan’s roof was made with perishable material.

 

Michael Monaghan (50) was a farmer. He was married to Ellen (45). She was recorded as a housekeeper. They had 9 children. Mary Anne (15), John (14), Patrick (12), Michael (11) and Agnes (9) were scholars. The 4 youngest were: Thomas (7), William (5), James (3) and Joseph (2). Michael’s brother John (66) worked as a labourer. Their sister Ellen (47) worked as a domestic servant. They were both single. Michael (50), John (66) and Ellen (47) could speak Irish and English. Mary Anne, John (14), Patrick, Michael (11) and Agnes could read and write. The rest of the family could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Michael Monaghan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Brien (50) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Margaret (39). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 8 children.  Bridget (15), Denis (13), Daniel (11) and John (9) were scholars. Patrick (6), Joseph (4), William (2) and Thomas (1) could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. Michael Conniffe (22) was single. He was recorded as a general servant. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 stable and 1 cow house. John Smyth owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 2 houses in Glanaskehy in 1911. There were 23 residents in total: 16 were male and 7 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Patrick Brien and Michael Monaghan. The census taken on the 13th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick Brien’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Michael Monaghan roof was made with perishable material.

 

Patrick Brien (60) worked as a shepherd. He was married for 26 years to Margaret (48). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 10 children with 10 living in 1911. Bridget (24), Denis (23), Daniel (21), John (19) and Patrick (17) were single. William (13), Thomas (11) and Mary (9) were scholars. Brendan (6) could not read or write. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. John Smyth owned the land the house was built on.

 

Michael Monaghan (70) worked as a farmer. He was married for 27 years to Ellen M (56). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 11 children with 9 living in 1911. Mary Anne (25), John (23), Patrick (21), Michael (19), Agnes (17), Thomas (15), William (13), James (11) and Joseph (9) could read and write. Michael’s sister Ellen (73) was single. They could speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery.  Michael Monaghan owned the land the house was built on.

 

 

This page was added on 21/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *