Doon, An Dún, a dun or fort

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Doon

Doon is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil. It lies mostly in the centre of the parish with part of it forming the north western part. It is bounded by Newgrove, Carnaan, Lackaroonagoppague, Wallscourt, Cahernagair in the parish of Kilreekil and Carra in the parish of Killaan.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give no other spelling of this townland.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Moore’ was owned by Matthew Ffrench, a catholic in 1670. It states there were 131 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 60 plantation acres of profitable land and 60 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 10 houses in Doon in 1901. There were 48 residents in total: 29 were male and 19 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the household were: Thomas Farrell, James Reedy, Martin Broderick, Michael Broderick, Michael Nelson, Patrick Regan, John Raftery, Michael Hardiman, William Dwyer and John Deely. The census taken on the 5th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick Regan’s and John Raftery’s roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 8 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Thomas Farrell (65) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (60). They could read. Their sons, Patrick (33), John (31) and James (26) were single. They had no occupations recorded. They could read and write. The entire family could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Thomas Farrell owned the land the house was situated on.

 

James Reedy (52) was a widower. He was a farmer. His son James (24) was single. They could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed. James Reedy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Broderick (45) was a farmer. He was married to Anne (35). Their children: Bridget (4), Mary (3), Joseph (2) and Patrick (2 months) could not read. Martin’s brother Laurence (50) was single. He worked as a carpenter. The 3 adults could read and write. Martin and Laurence could speak Irish and English. The family lives in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Martin Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Broderick (55) was a farmer. He was married to Alice (44). They had 7 children. Patrick (26), Bridget (22), Mary (21) and Martin (14) were single. Maggie (12) and Michael (10) were scholars. Their daughter Kate Keane (20) was married. Their grandson Francis Keane (8 months) could not read. Alice could read. The rest of the family could read and write. Michael (55), Alice and Patrick could speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Michael Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Nelson (53) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (50). They could speak Irish and English. They had 3 unmarried children: Mary (20), Patrick (19) and Martin (16). The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Michael Nelson owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Regan (60) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Margaret (56). They could speak Irish and English. Their children John (33), Francis (15), Mary (22) and Margaret (18) were single. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. Charles O’Farrell of Dalyston owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Raftery (42) was a farmer. He was married to Kate (26). Their children, Patrick (4), Michael (3), Mary (2) and Catherine (8 months) could not read. John’s brother Patrick (32) was recorded as a farmer. Michael Hardiman (21) was recorded as a farm servant. They were both single. Michael (21) could not read. John, Kate and Patrick (32) could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 stable and 1 cow house. John Raftery owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Hardiman (56) was a widower. He worked as an agricultural labourer. He could speak Irish and English. He could not read. He lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 shed. Michael Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

William Dwyer (43) was unmarried. He was recorded as a farmer, pensioner and ex constable from the R.I.C Constabulary. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 stable and 1 cow house. William Dwyer owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Deely (51) was a married man. He was a farmer. He could read and write. His sister Mary Rowe (67) was a widow. She was recorded as a farm servant. She could read only. They both could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn. John Deely owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

Census 1911

 

There were 20 houses in Doon in 1911. One house was uninhabited. It was owned by the estate commissioners. The other 19 houses had 85 residents in total: 49 were male and 36 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Burke, Patrick Monaghan, John Farrell, Patrick Gannon, Patrick Raftery, Patrick Regan, Patrick Regan, John Farrell, Martin Brien, Mary Kane, John Kane, Thomas Farrell, James Reidy, Martin Broderick, Michael Broderick, Michael Nelson, William Dwyer, John Raftery and John Deeley. The census taken on the 10th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. 8 roofs were made with perishable material. The other 12 roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

John Burke (61) was a farmer. He was married for 27 years to Catherine (51). They could speak Irish and English. They had 13 children with 12 living in 1911. Listed were 7 unmarried children. Bridget (24), Margaret (21), Patrick (19), John (15), William (11), Ellen (8) and James (6) could speak English. John’s grandson Joseph (2) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. John Burke owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Monaghan (47) was single. He was a farmer. He could read and write. He lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 calf house. Patrick Monaghan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Farrell (44) and his wife Margaret (27) were farmers. They were married for 5 years. They could read and write. Their children Mary Anne (4) and Patrick (2) could not read. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 calf house.  John Farrell owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Gannon (75) was a farmer. He was married for 40 years to Mary (75). They could speak Irish and English. They had 6 children with 5 living in 1911. Their son Pat (35) was a farmer. He was married for 1 year to Cate (35). The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Patrick Gannon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Raftery (40) was a farmer. He was married for 1 year to Bridget (27). They could read and write. Their son John was 3 months old. Their niece Kate (11) could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 calf house. Patrick Raftery owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Regan (35) was a farmer. He was married for 1 year to Ellie (29). They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. Patrick Regan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Regan (73) was a farmer. He was a widower. He could speak Irish and English. He had 4 unmarried children. John (45), Michael (40), Mary (32) and Margaret (28) could speak English. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Patrick Regan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Farrell (40) was single. He was a farmer. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 5 front windows and 1 piggery. John Farrell owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Breen (83) was single. He was a farmer. His sister Hanoria Murphy (76) was a widow. She had been married for 40 years. She had 3 children with 2 living in 1911. Her son James (30) was a farmer. He was married for 3 years to Catherine (27). They could read and write. They had 2 daughters: Mary Anne (2) and Maria (1). Martin could not read. Hanoria could read only. They both could speak Irish and English. James, Catherine and Mary Anne could speak English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 calf house. Martin Brien owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Keane (56) was a farmer. She was a widow. She could speak Irish and English. She had been married for 24 years. She had 4 children with 2 living in 1911. Sarah (20) and Patt (19) were single. They could speak English. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 calf house. Mary Keane owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Kane (47) was a farmer. He was a widower. His daughter Mary (2) could not read. Ellen Coy (15) was single. She was recorded as a domestic servant. John and Ellen could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 calf house. John Kane owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Farrell (77) was a farmer. He was a widower. He had been married for 46 years. He had 5 children with 4 living in 1911. His son Patrick (45) was single. His son James (35) was a farmer. He was married for 2 years to Margaret (29). They could read, write and speak English. Thomas could speak Irish and English. Patrick could speak English. They could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Thomas Farrell owned the land the house was situated on.

 

James Reidy (71) was a farmer. He was a widower. He could read and write. He lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 calf house and 1 piggery. John Reidy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Broderick (54) and his brother Laurence (67) were farmers. They could speak Irish. Laurence was single. Martin was married for 15 years to Anne (50). She was recorded as a farmer’s wife. They had 7 living children. Bridget (14), Mary E (13), Patrick (12), Joseph (10), John (9), Martin A (7) and Laurence (6) were scholars. The entire family could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Martin Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Broderick (69) was a farmer. He could speak Irish. He was married for 39 years to Elle (65). They had 10 children with 7 living in 1911. Their children Bridget (34), Martin (25) and Michael (22) were single. Their niece Kate (30) was also single. Their nephew Francis Kane (11) was a school boy. The entire family could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf and 1 piggery. Michael Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Nelson (68) was a farmer. He was married for 37 years to Mary (73). They had 5 children with 4 living in 1911. Their sons: Patt (32) and Martin (28) were single. Their daughter Mary (33) was married for 1 year to Patt Broderick (37). Their daughter Mary Teresa was 9 months old. Michael could read. The rest of the family could read and write. Michael, Mary and Patt Broderick could speak Irish and English. Patt, Martin and Mary could speak English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Michael Nelson owned the land the house was situated on.

 

William Dwyer (55) was a farmer and pensioner from R I C. He was married for 10 years to Bridget (43). They had 2 children with 2 living in 1911. John Richard (6) was a scholar. William Patrick (2) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. William and John Richard could speak Irish and English. Bridget and William Patrick could speak English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house. William Dwyer owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Raftery (52) was a farmer. He was a widower. He had 8 children with 8 living in 1911. Patt (15), Michael (14), Mary (13), Bridget (12) and Edward (7) were scholars. Annie (5) and Ellana (2) could not read or write. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. John Raftery owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Deeley (68) was a farmer. He was a married man. He could not read. He lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. John Deeley owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 20/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *