Meanus, Meanas, mines or meadhnus, central land

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Meanus

 

Meanus is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil. It forms part of the eastern side of the parish and is bounded by Glanmeen, Wallscourt and Laeharoonagappogue. It is also bounded by Garryboghala and Carheentubber in the parish of Abbeygormagan.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Mianus, Menus, Meanes and Manus.

 

Down Survey Map shows this townland under the name ‘Meanes’ was owned by Sir Richard Blake, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Robert Black, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 86 plantation acres of profitable land and 86 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

There was 1 house in Meanus in 1901. The census taken on the 3rd of April 1901 show it was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with perishable material. The head of the household was John Barrett.

John Barrett (62) was a widower. His sons Pat (37) and John (29) were single. All 3 men were recorded as herds. Their cousin Mary Casey (70) was an unmarried housekeeper. She could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. John (62) and Pat could speak Irish and English. The entire family were Roman Catholics. They were born in Co Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. John Ohilips of New Inn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 3 houses in Meanus in 1911. There were 11 residents in total: 6 were male and 5 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: William Barrett, John Maguire and William Monaghan. The census taken on the 13th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. William Barrett’s house roof was made with perishable material. The other 2 roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

William Barrett (44) was a farmer. He could speak Irish and English. He was married for 3 years to M.A (30). They had 2 children: Julia (2) and Patrick (1). William’s brother Patrick (49) was single. The 3 adults could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. William Barrett owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Maguire (65) was a farmer. He was married for 28 years to Maria (55). Their nephew John O’Hara (15) was single. All 3 occupants could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. John Maguire owned the land the house was situated on.

 

William Monohan (42) was a farmer. He was married for 1 year to Brigid (29). Visitor Annie Kelly (26) was single. Brigid could speak English. William could speak Irish and English. All 3 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery. William Monaghan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

 

This page was added on 17/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *