Glenmeen, An Gleann Min, smooth glen or valley

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Glenmeen

Glenmeen is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil. It lies in the south eastern part of the parish and is bounded by Coolinny, Dartfield and Wallscourt in the parish of Kilreekil and Carheenlubber in the parish of Abbeygormagan.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spelling of this townland: Glanmine, Glean Min, Gleanmyn and Glanin.

 

Down Survey Map shows that this land under the names ‘Lissenuskie and Glanmeen’ was owned by Sir Richard Blake, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Robert Blake, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 7 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 102 plantation acres of profitable land and 102 plantation acres of forfeited.

 

Census 1901

There was only 1 house in Glenmeen in 1901. The census taken on the 5th of April 1901 shows it was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built of stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. There were 4 residents in total: 2 male and 2 female.

 

Patrick Fahy (67) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Bridget (65). Their children Mary (29) and James (28) were single. They could read and write.  Patrick and Bridget spoke Irish and English. They could not read. All the family were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michael Fahy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

There were 2 houses in Glenmeen in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited which was owned by Mrs Fahey. The census taken on the 8th of April 1911 show the other house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. There were 8 residents in total: 3 were male and 3 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway.

 

Pat Fahey (80) was a widower. He had been married for 50 years. He had 6 children with 2 living in 1911. He and his son James (37) worked as shepherds. James was married for 4 years to Anne (25). They had 3 children with 2 living in 1911: Bridget Mary (3) and Ellen Kate (2). Thomas McGlynn (18) was single. He was recorded as a farm labourer. Patrick and Ellen Kate could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. Patrick and Anne spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 calf house.  Mrs Fahy owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 21/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *