Ballintubber West, Baile an Tobair Thiar, town of the well

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Ballintubber West

Ballintubber west is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil. It lies in the northern part of the parish and is bounded by the townlands of Glanaskehy, Ballantubber East and Newgrove and by Carra in the parish of Killaan.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spelling of this townland: Ballintober West and Ballintobber.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Carrowetubber’ was owned by Sir Richard Blake, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Robert Blake, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 102 plantation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

In 1901, there was one house situated in Ballintubber west with 6 males and 5 females.

 

Denis Brien (79) was a widower. He could speak Irish and English. He and his son Daniel (42) worked as shepherds. Daniel was married to Bridget (37). They had 7 children. Patk F (12), John F (10), Mary E (9), Anneie (8) and Michl J (7) were scholars. Bridget C (5) and Margaret F (1) could not read. Michl J could read. The rest of the household could read and write. James Bell (24) was single. He was recorded as a general servant. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 barn and 1 shed. The house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. R H Johnston of Bawnboy Co Cavan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

In 1911, one household was recorded in which the family included 4 males and 4 females.

 

Daniel Brien (57) worked as a shepherd. He was married for 24 years to Bridget (50). They had 8 children with 6 living in 1911. Patrick (22) was single. He was recorded as a shepherd. John (19), Mary (19), Annie (17), Michael (16) and Margaret (11) were scholars. They could read, write and spoke English. They were Roman Catholic and were born in Co Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. The census taken on the 3rd of April 1911 state the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. A.W. Johnston owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

 

This page was added on 22/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *