Cooleeny, Na Cuilini, small corners or angles

Civil Parish of Kilreekil

Author: Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Cooleeny

Cooleeny is situated in the civil parish of Kilreekil. It lies in the southern part of the parish and is bounded by the townlands of Draght, Dartfield and Glanmian and by Carra, Abbeygormagan, Ballydavid and Ballynahistol in the parish of Kilcooly and by Ballydoogan in the parish of Kilmeen.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Cuilinidhe, Coolinny, Cooliny, Cooliney, Cooleny and Culliny.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land under the name ‘Coolinie’ was owned by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1641 and 1670.  It states there were 35 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 154 plantation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 7 houses in Cooleeny in 1901. There were 41 residents in total: 17 were male and 24 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. All were born in Co Galway except for 4. Alice Moore (37) was born in Co. Kilkenny. Mary Healy (22) was born in Co Kildare. Mary Doyle (19) was born in Co Wexford and Elisabeth Brennan (26) was born in Dublin City. The heads of the households were: John J Smyth, Elisabeth Brennan, William Kelly, Martin Forde, Michl Duane, Fanny Dillon and Anne Seail. The census taken on the 5th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. John J Smyth’s and Michael Duane’s house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 5 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

John Smyth (34) was a farmer. He was married to Clare (30). They had 5 children. Mary (5), Sylvia (5), Hilda (4), Clare (3) and Ismay (1) could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. Patrick Robbins (66) was recorded as a steward. John Killela (23) and Thomas Shiel (23) were recorded as grooms. Alice Moore (37) was a cook. Norah Larkin (21) was recorded as a kitchen maid. Mary Healy (22) was recorded as a house parlour maid. Mary Doyle (19) was recorded as a children’s maid and Kate Glynn (17) was recorded as a nursery maid. All 8 servants were single. Patrick and Thomas could speak Irish and English. The household lived in a 1st class house with 17 rooms and 20 front windows. There were 25 outhouses: 11 stables, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 2 piggeries, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling room, 1 barn, 1 turf house, 1 work shop and 1 shed. John J Smyth owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Elizabeth Brennan (26) was single. She was a nurse. She was born in Dublin City. She could read and write.

 

William Kelly (45) was a farmer. He was married to Ellen (36). They had 3 children: Michael (1), Patrick (3) and Mary (5). Mary was a scholar. Mary Moran (16) was a general servant domestic. John Martin (40) and Laurence Daly (70) were recorded as farm servants. Mary Moran and John Martin were single. Laurence was married. William, John and Laurence could speak Irish and English. Patrick, Michael and Laurence could not read. Mary (5) could read only. The rest of the household could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. William Kelly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Forde (80) was a farmer. He was married to Catherine (60). Their son Thomas (30) was single. Their son John (34) was married to Mary (26). Their son Martin was 3 months old. Catherine could not read. The other 4 adults could read and write. All the adults could speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Martin Forde owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michl Duane (63) worked as a farmer’s shepherd. He was married to Ellie (54). Their children: Patrick (31) and Fanny (22) were single. Michl could read. The rest of the family could read and write. Michl, Ellie and Patrick could speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michl Duane owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Fanny Dillon (65) was a widow. She was a farmer. She could speak Irish and English. Her daughter Margret (36) was single. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Fanny Dillon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Anne Seail (64) was a widow. She was a farmer. She could not read. Her son-in-law Michael Mulkern (30) was recorded as an agricultural labourer. He was married to Mary (23). They could read and write. Anne and Michael could speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Anne Seail owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Feeney (78) was recorded as an agricultural labourer. He was married to Bridget (62). She was recorded as a house keeper. They could not read. They could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 1 front window. John J Smyth owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 6 houses in Cooleeny in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited. It was owned by J. J Smyth. The other 5 houses had 38 residents in total: 22 were male and 16 were female. The heads of the households were: Michael Duane, William Kelly, John Coughlan, Michael Mulkerns and John Forde. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for William Casey (37). He was born in Co Longford. The census taken on the 8th of April 1911 shows the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Michael Duane’s and William Kelly’s roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Michael Duane (74) was a farmer and herd. He was married for 44 years to Ellen (69). She could speak Irish and English. They had 4 children with 2 living in 1911. Their son Pat (43) was married for 5 years to Delia (37). He was recorded as a shepherd. They had 3 children with 3 living in 1911: Michael (3), Mary (1) and Helen (4 months). William Casey (35) was single. He was recorded as a farm labourer. Michael (74), Ellen, Pat and Delia could read and write. The household lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michael Duane owned the land the house was situated on.

 

William Kelly (58) was a farmer. He was married for 16 years to Elly (49). They had 4 children: Patrick B (13), Michael J (11), Martin F (9) and Thomas W (6). Their niece Elly Kate Meara (15) was single. She was a domestic servant. Patt Fahey (35) was single. He was a farm labourer. He could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. They lived in a 1st class house with 7 rooms and 7 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 potato house. William Kelly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Coughlan (40) was a farmer. He was married for 9 years to Margret (48). Their niece Margret Quinn (13) was a scholar. All 3 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 1 cow house. John Coughlan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Mulkern (47) was a farmer. He was married for 10 years to Mary (38). They had 5 children with 5 living in 1911. Michael (9) and Thomas (7) were scholars. John (5), Mary (4) and James (2) could not read. Michael’s mother-in-law Nancy Seal (80) was a widow. She could read and spoke Irish and English. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf cow, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house. Michael Mulkern owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Forde (47) was a farmer. He was married for 11 years to Mary (35). They had 7 children with 7 living in 1911. Martin (10), Maria (9), Bridget (8) and P Joe (6) were scholars. Elizza (5), J Finton (3) and Michl (1) could not read. John’s brother Thos (39) was single. He could speak Irish. John’s mother Catherine (80) was a widow. She could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. John, Mary, Martin, Maria, Bridget and Catherine could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. John Forde owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

This page was added on 23/12/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *