Irish Grid: M 82761 40024 Lat / Long: 53.4103, -8.25996
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Dalysgrove is the property of Peter Daly, Esq. It is flat and dry of middling quality. The County Cess is £2. 4. 6. It contains 408a. 0r. 16p. 8 acres of which are water.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Dalysgrove lies in the East of ths parish in the Barony of Killian, bounded by Curry, Cloonbonniv, Eddergool North, Knockaunrooa, Tummerlaan, Lissyegan Hodson, Lissyegan Mahon and Sraghlooghra townlands in said barony and on the N. East by River Suck which separated it from part of Breeole in the parish of Dysart, Barony of Athlone and County Roscommon.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Dalysgrove.
- Addergoole North
- Breeole West
- Lissyegan (Hodson)
- Lissyegan (Mahon)
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ahascragh.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: See below
1911: See below
Overview of the townland
There were a total of 3 houses in the townland of Dalysgrove at this time but only 1, house 1, was occupied although the landholder for all three was Mary Daly. All 3 were listed as being private dwellings. House 1 was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. The house was a 1st class dwelling, had 16 rooms and had 5 windows to the front. There were 15 out buildings, 6 stables, a harness room, a coach house, a cow house, a dairy, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house and a laundry. 5 people lived in the townland at that time, 1 male and 4 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick Burke.
House 1: Barbar / Kelly / Daly / Wilkinson
The head of this family was not listed in this entry, but Mary Daly was the landholder so was probably the head of the family but not in the house at the time of the census. Two daughters lived in the house, Louise (25) and Dora (21) and also in the house were 3 servants, John Kelly (17), Alice Wilkinson (19) and Hellina [sic] Barbar [sic] (20). All were Roman Catholic with Louise being born in Belgium, Dora and John were born in Co. Galway, Alice was born in England and Hellina [sic] was born in Queens County[i]. All could read and write and John was a groom, Alice was a cook and Hellina [sic] was a parlour maid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 16 rooms and they had 6 stables, a harness room, a coach house, a cow house, a dairy, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house and a laundry.
Overview of the townland.
There were a total of 3 houses in the townland and all were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 2 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and house 3 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and houses 2 and 3 were 3rd class. House 1 had 14 rooms and 11 windows to the front, house 2 had 1 room and 2 windows and house 3 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 16 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a dairy, 2 piggeries, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, 3 sheds, a store and a laundry. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Crotty [sic].
House 1: Daly / McDermott / Healy / Cruise
The head of this household was Peter J. Daly (61) and he was married to Mary Daly (49) and also in the house were a son, Albert P. Daly (11) and 3 servants, Teresa McDermott (25), Ellen Healy (24) and William Cruise (19). They were all Roman Catholics and Peter J. and Albert P. were born in Co. Galway, Mary was born in Belgium, Teresa and William were born in Co. Roscommon and Ellen was born in Co. Kildare. All could read and write and Peter J. was a farmer, Albert P. was a scholar, Teresa was a parlour maid domestic servant, Ellen was a cook domestic servant and William was a yardman domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling and they had 2 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a dairy, 2 piggeries, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a shed, a store and a laundry. The land holder was Peter Joseph Daly.
House 2: Cloonan
The head of this family was Stephen (31) who was married to Bridget (29) and they shared the house with their daughter Mary J. (1). They were all born in Kings Co.[ii] and were Roman Catholic. Both parents could read and write and Stephen was a coachman domestic servant and Mary J. was a coachman’s daughter. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and they had a shed. The land holder was Peter Joseph Daly.
House 3: McHugh
John (57) lived in this house with his wife, Anne (41) and their daughter Nora (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John spoke both Irish and English but could not read, Anne could read only and Nora could read and write. John was listed as being a general labourer and Nora was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a shed. The landholder was Peter Joseph Daly.
Plot 1: Francis D. Daly leased a house, offices and 396 acres, 3 roods and 6 perches of land from Peter P. Daly for which he paid £98 for the land and £32 for the buildings.
Plot 2: William Connolly paid £1 15s for 3 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches of land and 5s for a house to Francis D. Daly.
Plot 3: consisted of 8 acres of water.
[i] Co. Laois
[ii] Co. Offaly