Irish Grid: M 81518 38370 Lat / Long: 53.3954, -8.27855
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
This townland contains a. r. p. (567 acres and 33 perches), about the ¼ of which is bog, the remainder arable and pasture, about 100 acres flat and wet, the remainder of a good quality. It is the property of Sir Ross Mahon, held by deed for ever and pays £11. 0. 0. County Cess including Gowla.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Eglish is situated in a central part of this parish bounded by the townlands of Kilcrin, Knockaunrooa, Eddregool North, Cool, Ervalagh, Eeghter and Castlegar East. It is in the barony of Killian.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Eglish.
- Addergoole North
- Addergoole West
- Castlegar East
- Castlegar West
- Ervallagh Eighter
Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ahascragh.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: See below
1911: See below
Overview of the townland
There were 2 houses in the townland of Eglish in 1911 but only house 1 was occupied at the time of the census. House 1 was a private dwelling and house 2 was the Eglish National School and the landholder was Sir W. M. H. Mahon. House 1 was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 6 rooms and 4 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steading return (form B.2) shows that there were a total of 3 out buildings, a stable, a coach house and a cow house. The enumerator for the area was Constable Patrick Burke.
House 1: O Conghaile / Ní Chonghaile / O Domhnalláin
Séamus O Conghaile (33) was listed as the head of the family and he was married to Phroinsias Ní Chonghaile (27) and also in the house at that time was a servant, Mícheál O Domhnalláin (72). They were all Roman Catholic and could speak both Irish and English. They were all born in Co. Galway and Séamus and Phroinsias could read and write and Mícheál could not read. Séamus was listed as being a national school teacher and Mícheál was a long time servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with a stable, a coach house and a cow house. The landholder was James Connolly.
Overview of the townland.
There were 2 buildings in the townland of Eglish in 1901 of which house 1 was a private dwelling and house 2 was the Eglish National School and unoccupied at that time. The landholder for the school was Sir William H. Mahon. House 1 was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows to the front. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Crotty.
House 1: Leonard
The head of the only family in Eglish was the widower, Hugh (70), who lived in the house with 2 of his sons, Bernard (31) and John (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Hugh spoke both Irish and English but could not read while Bernard and John could read and write. High was a retired farmer, Bernard was a farmer and John was listed as being a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling and the land holder was Hugh Leonard.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847 – 1864)
The immediate lessor for all tenements in Eglish was the Rev. Sir William V. R. Mahon Bart.
Plot 1: Charles Filgate [sic] leased a herd’s house, offices and 302 acres, 2 roods and 24 perches of land for which he paid £218 for the land and £2 for the buildings annually.
Plot 2: Bryan Leonard paid £9 15s for 33 acres, 2 roods and 38 perches of land and £1 10s for a house and offices.
Plot 3: Thomas Curley paid £12 10s for 39 acres, 2 roods and 39 perches of land.
Plot 4: Thomas Kennedy leased 14 acres, 3 roods and 11 perches of land for £4 5s.
Plot 5A: The Rev. Sir William V. R. Mahon Bart. had, in fee (for himself), 59 acres and 4 perches of bog that had an annual ratable valuation of 10s.
Plot 5B: The Rev. Sir William V. R. Mahon Bart. had, in fee (for himself), 117 acres, 1 rood and 21 perches of bog that had an annual ratable valuation of £1 10s.
Add a comment about this page