Irish Grid: M 78523 39607 Lat / Long: 53.4064, -8.32365
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Weston.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ahascragh.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: See Below
1911: See Below
Overview of the townland.
There were a total of 4 houses in the townland of Weston in 1911 and 3 of those house were occupied with house 4 being empty but the landholder was listed as being Sir William H. Mahon. The occupied houses were all listed as being private dwellings and were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and houses 2 and 3 were 2nd class. House 1 had 30 rooms and 13 windows to the front, house 2 had 2 rooms and 2 windows and house 3 had 4 rooms and 2 windows to the front. There were a total of 17 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a workshop and 2 sheds. A total of 14 people were in the townland at that time, 7 males and 7 females with 3 being Church of Ireland and the rest all being Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick Burke.
The head of this household was George Gilbert Mahon (45) and he was single and lived in the house with 5 servants; Joseph Robinson (42), Anne Judge, (50), George Bond (29), Julia Walsh (41) and Lizzie Walsh (23). George Gilbert, Joseph and George Bond were Church of Ireland and the other members of the household were Roman Catholic. George Gilbert was born in Co. Westmeath, Joseph was born in Co. Tyrone, Anne was born in Co. Kilkenny, George Bond was born in Co. Tipperary, Julia was born in Co. Kildare and Lizzie was born in Kings County[i]. All of the household could read and write. George Gilbert was a justice of the peace, land owner and land agent, Joseph was a butler and domestic servant, Anne was a cook, domestic servant, George was a motor car driver and domestic servant, Julia was a housemaid domestic servant and Lizzie was a kitchen maid domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 30 rooms and they also had 2 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a turf house, a potato house, a workshop and a shed. The landholder was Sir William H. Mahon.
House 2: Staunton
Pat (57) was married to Mary (72) and had been for 32 years but had no children. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both spoke Irish and English but could not read. Pat was listed as being a rabbit trapper. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and the landholder was Sir William H. Mahon.
House 3: Ward
The widow Ellen (52) was the head of this household and she had been married for 32 years and had had 10 children with all of those surviving. She shared the house with 5 of her children, John (30), Patrick (21), Tessie (17), Thomas (14) and Kate (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic and all could read and write. Ellen was a farmer, John was a herd, Patrick was a farmer’s son and Thomas and Kate were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they also had stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Sir William H. Mahon.
Overview of the townland.
According to the 1901 census return there were a total of 5 houses in the townland but only 3 of those were occupied with houses 3 and 5 being empty but the landholder was Sir William Mahon Bart. All the occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. They were all 2nd class dwellings with house 1 having 18 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 2 had 4 rooms and 2 windows and house 4 had 2 rooms and 2 windows to the front. There were a total of 15 people in the townland at the time of this census; 7 males and 8 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Joseph Lawson.
House 1: Mahon / Judge / Morrissey
George G. Mahon (35) was the head of this household and he was single and shared the house with 2 servants; Anne Judge (40), a widow, and Kate Morrissey (31). George G. was Church of Ireland and was born in Co. Westmeath, Anne was a Roman Catholic and born in Co. Kilkenny and Kate was a Roman Catholic and was born in Dublin. All could read and write and George G. was a land agent and J.P., Anne was a cook domestic servant and Kate was a housemaid domestic servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling 18 rooms and the landholder was George G. Mahon J.P.
House 2: Ward
There were 11 members of this family in house 2 and the head was Patrick (54) and he was married to Ellen (41). They shared the house with 9 of their children; Michael (22), John (22), Peter P. (17), Mary (15), Patrick (12), Ellen (10), Jessie (7), Thomas (4) and Catherine (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic and, with the exception of Thomas and Catherine, they could all read and write. Patrick (54) was a shepherd, Michael and John were Shepherd’s sons, Peter P. was an agricultural labourer, Mary was a spinster and Patrick (12), Ellen (10) and Jessie were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling 4 rooms and the landholder was Sir William Mahon Bart.
House 3: Staunton
Mary (50) was the only person in this house at the time of this census and she was listed as being married but there was no mention of her husband in this entry. She was a Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. She spoke Irish and English, could not read and was listed as being a gatekeeper. The house was a 2nd class dwelling 2 rooms and the landholder was Sir William Mahon Bart.
Plot 1: John D. Mahon leased a house, offices and 270 acres and 12 perches of land from the Rev. Sir William V. R. Mahon Bart., for which he paid £174 annually for the land and £35for the buildings.
[i] Co. Offaly