French Park

Civil Parish of Kilcolgan

Joseph Ennis |University of Galway |Galway County Heritage Office

Situation: The standard name of the townland was Frenchpark with the Irish name being Pairc an Frangcaig. It was bounded on the north by Culdooish, the east by Carraghadhu, the south by Killeenevara and the west by Muggaunagh and Culdooish.


O’Donavon Field Name Books.

There was very little arable land being mostly limestone rocks. The eastern boundary was the centre of a lough called Loughfingall.  Frenchpark was at the south of the parish.

Down survey.

The name used for the townland was Killcornan. The owner was 1641 was Edmund Bourke who was catholic and in 1670 was Ulick Bourke who was also catholic. There was 606 planation acres and 576 acres of unprofitable land. There was 606 acres of forfeited land.

Griffith Valuation

Map reference one was Michael L. Blake. This refers to the land and water. The land was 152 acres, 1 rood and 11 perches. The water was 10 acres, 3 roods and 24 perches. This was worth 13 pounds. He owned the land.

This page was added on 25/04/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.