Civil Parish of Kilcolgan

Joseph Ennis |University of Galway |Galway County Heritage Office

Situation: The standard name of the townland was Parkbaun with the Irish name being Pairc Ban. Other names given were Parkbaus from the High Constable for the Barony.  The townland was at the north of the parish. It was bounded by Killeely Parish on the north, Lissiagranshy on the east, Lissiagranshy and Gurtrova on the south and Parkaloughaun on the west.


O’Donovan survey book

The proprietor was J. Bodkin of Annagh with the agent being Dennis Bodkin of Annagh. It was held for grazing sheep and had little in the way of tillage. There are two tenants with rent being sixteen shillings and twenty one pence per acre with a lease. Neither of the tenants lived on the land. On the north boundary were a few houses and the ruins of Lavallyconner castle.

Down survey

The name of the townland in the survey was Kilcolgan. The owner in 1641 and 1670 was the earl of Clanrickard who was protestant.

Griffith Valuation

Map reference one was Thomas Tully. This was the herd’s house. Office and land. This was 121 acres, 1 rood and 7 acres. This was worth 62 pounds and 15 shillings and the landlord was Robert Bodkin.

This page was added on 30/04/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.