Civil Parish of Kilcolgan

Joseph Ennis |University of Galway |Galway County Heritage Office

Description: The standard name of the townland was Lisnagranshy with the Irish name being Lios na Grainsighe. The townland was bounded on the north by Killeen Parish, Ardrahan on the east and west and Gurtrova and Parkbaun on the west.


O’Donavon Field Name Book

The proprietor was Rd. Ralbourn of Stip. Magistrate, and the agent was Mathew F. St. George. It was held as a sheep walk by two tenants Mr Persse of Moy castle and Mr Stadden of Loughrea. It had good grazing land.

Down survey

The named used for the townland was Kilcolgan. With the owner in 1641 and 1670 was the earl of Clanrickard who was protestant. No further information was given.

1911 census

There was one individual living in the region in 1911. There were three houses in the townland however only the first was inhabited. The walls were made of stone or brick and the roof of slate or iron. There are two rooms and three windows, and it was a second class house. The land was owned by the head of family inhabiting the house. There was two farm buildings with a stable and a cow house.

Patrick Geoghegan (55) was the head of family of house one, he was a widower. He lived alone and worked as a farmer. He could read and write and speak Irish and English. He was a roman catholic and was born in Galway.

Griffith Valuation

Map reference one was Burton Persse. The land was 182 acres, 1 rood and 23 perches. This was worth 105 pound and was owned Rep. Richard Rathbourne.

This page was added on 08/04/2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.