19. Oranmore Castle
Turning back towards Oranmore, the view includes Oranmore Castle. The strategic position of Oranmore, combined with its position on the easten shore of Galway Bay, led to the construction of a tower-house in about 1206 by William de Burgh. The present owner’s grandmother bought it in a ruinous condition and restored the roof and some of the grounds. The annex to the castle was, in part, built with stone rescued from the demolition of the Church of Ireland church. The castle is open by appointment, for further information see www.oranmorecastle.com.