Cartron

An Cartrún

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 72483 43388

 

Desciption:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property Michl. D. Bellew held by deed for ever. It contains 55 acres, 2 roods and 12 perches. It is a hilly country, of a middling quality. There are but 2 cabins on this townland and in bad repair. Pays for County Cess £3. 12s. 8½d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in the eastern side of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel bounded by Glebe and Eskerballycahil in same barony and by Caltra townland in the barony of Tiaquin.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Cartron.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. 

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    no records

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1911 census shows that there was only the 1 house in the townland. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 or 6 rooms and 5 windows in the front. The enumerator for the area was John Gallagher.

 

Cullen

The head of the only family in Cartron was the widow, Harriett (52) and she lived in the house with 7 of her children. Henrietta (27), Mary Teresa (26), Charles Joseph (20), James Martin (18), Julia Agnes (14), Bernard (14) and John (24). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from Henrietta, Mary Teresa and James Martin, they could all speak Irish and English. All the family could read and write. Harriett was listed as a farmer and James Martin, Julia Agnes, Bernard and John were scholars. They had 2 stables, 2 coach houses, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Harriett Cullen.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Andrew Joyce leased 55 acres, 1 rood and 26 perches of land from Patrick Kelly for £31.

 

 

This page was added on 01/11/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *