Cloonpee (Cloonfee)

Cluain Pí

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 72488 40547

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Michl. D. Bellew held by deed for ever. It contains 126 acres, 3 roods and 17 perches. Pays for County Cess £3. 12s. 8½d. including the townland Cartron.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the S. East of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin, is bounded by Ballantleva and Creggaunagroagh in same barony and by Lurgan in the barony of Kilconnel, in this parish, by Pallas in the parish of Fohanagh and barony of Kilconnel.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Cloonpee.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland.

The 1911 census shows that there were 3 houses in the Cloonpee at that time and that they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 2nd class dwelling and houses 2 and 3 were 3rd class, with house 1 having between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows, house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and no windows and house 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 10 outbuildings consisting of 3 stables, 3 cow houses, 2 piggeries, a shed and a mill. There were a total of 23 people in the townland and they consisted of 14 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was James P. Dalton.

 

House 1: Tyrrell

The head of this family in house 1 was Peter (53) and he had been married to Celia (53) for 25 years and they had had 10 children and all had survived. Nine of those children lived with them and they were, Martin (24), James (23), Bridget (21), Mary Ellen (17), Julia (15), Peter Joseph (13), Celia (10), Patrick (8) and Thomas Francis (5). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Celia (10), Patrick and Thomas Francis spoke only English and the others all spoke both Irish and English. Apart from Thomas Francis, they could all read and write. Peter was a miller, Martin was a mill assistant, James was a farmer and Mary Ellen, Julia, Peter Joseph, Celia (10) and Patrick were scholars. The house that they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had 2 stables, a cow house, a piggery, a shed and a mill. The landholder was Peter Tyrrell.

 

House 2: Dooley / Greely                            

The head of this family was Martin (68) and he was listed as being married but there was no wife mentioned in this entry. He lived in the house with 4 of his children, Michael (27), Martin (20), Mary Anne (16) and Delia (12) and also in the house at that time was Martin’s sister, Cathrin [sic] Greely (72), who was a widow. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic, with the exception of Catherin [sic], who was born in Co. Roscommon. Only Martin (68) was listed as being able to speak both Irish and English. With the exception of Martin and Catherin [sic] they could all read and write.  Martin (68) was a farmer and Michael and Martin (20) were labourers. The house that they all lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Martin Dooley.

 

House 3: Kelly

Patrick (59) was the head of the last family in Cloonpee and he was married to Cathrin [sic] and had been for 25 years and they had had 6 children and all had survived. They shared the house with 4 of their sons, John (21), Richard (17), Peter (12) and Patrick (7). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, with the exception of Patrick (7). Patrick (59) and Patrick 7 could not read but the others could all read and write. Patrick (59) was a farmer, John and Richard were labourers and Peter and Patrick (7) were scholars. The house that they all lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow. The landholder was Patrick Kelly.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland.

The 1901 census shows that there were 4 houses in the townland at that time and they were all occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 2 was a 4th class dwelling while the other 3 were 3rd class. House 2 had 1 rooms and no windows, house 3 had 1 room and 1 window in the front and houses 1 and 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 9 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, 3 cow houses, a piggery, a barn, a mill and a kiln. There were 25 people listed as being in the townland at that time, 15 males and 10 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McLeann [sic].

 

House 1: Kelly / Booth                                 

The widower, John Booth (82) was the head of the first family in Cloonpee and he shared the house with his son-in-law, Patrick (45), his daughter Catherine (42) and 4 grandchildren, John (12), Norah (10), Richard (7) and Peter (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John (82), Patrick and Catherine spoke both Irish and English. Patrick and Norah could read only and Catherine and John (12) could read and write, the others could not read. John (82) was a farmer, Patrick was a farm servant, Catherine was a farmer’s daughter and John (12), Norah and Richard were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was John Booth.

 

House 2: Dooley

Martin (55) was the head of this family and he was married to Ellen (45) and they lived in the house with 5 of their children, Michael (14), Ellen (14), Stephen (11), Martin (9) and Mary Anne (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Martin (55) and Ellen (45) could speak Irish and English. Martin (55) and Mary Anne could not read, Martin (9) could read only and all the others could read and write. Martin (55) was a farmer, Michael was an agricultural Labourer and the other children were all scholars. The house they all lived in was a 4th class dwelling with 1 room and they had a cow house and a barn. The landholder was Martin Dooley.

 

House 3: Greeley

Catherine (60), a widow, was the only occupant of house 3. She was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Roscommon. She could not read. The house she lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room. The landholder was Martin Dooley.

 

House 4: Tyrrell / Dooley                            

The head of the last house in Cloonpee was Peter (45), who was married to Sarah (35) and they shared the house with 7 of their children and they were, Martin (14), James (13), Bridget (11), John (9), Mary (7), Julia (5) and Peter (3) and also in the house at that time as a servant, John Dooley (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Julia, Peter (3) and John (20) spoke only Irish and the others all spoke Irish and English. Apart from Julia and Peter, they could all read and write. Peter was a miller and farmer, Martin, James, Bridget, John (9) and Mary were scholars, Julia was a farmer’s daughter, Peter was a farmer’s son and John Dooley was a farmer servant. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had 2 stables, a cow house, a piggery, a mill and a kiln. The landholder was Peter Tyrrell.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Sir Christopher Bellew BT was the immediate lessor in this townland and he leased 4 tenements to 4 different tenants. Thomas McQuire leased 5 acres of land for £1 15s, a house, offices, a corn mill and a tuck-mill on 16 acres and 2 roods and land for £6 for the land and 11s for the buildings and also 10 acres, 3 roods and 22 perches of bog for 12s. Richard Tyrrell leased a house and offices on 25 acres, 2 roods and 17 perches of land for £6 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings. Martin Greally and John Dooley jointly leased houses on  16 acres and 15 perches of land for which they each paid £3 for the land and Richard paid 19s for his house and John paid 6s for his. Thomas McQuire, Richard Tyrrell, John Dooley and Martin Greally jointly leased 40 acres, 2 roods and 29 perches of bog for which Thomas and Richard paid £2 3s each and Martin and John paid £1 1s each.

 

This page was added on 01/11/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *