Ticooly (Kelly / O'Kelly)

Tigh Cúile (O'Kelly)

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 73331 46094

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Lord Clonbrock who holds it under a deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. ¼ of which of bog, the remainder arable and pasture and about 20 acres of wood. The houses and roads are in good repair. Pays for County Cess £2. 18. 5½.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies mostly in the N. East part of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin is bounded by Killosolan and Derrymore same barony and by Currafarry, Lecarhoo, Ticooly Carr, Bredagh, Eskerballycahil and Glebe in the Barony of Kilconnel, in this parish, and by Islands townland in the parish and Barony of Killian.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Ticooly (Kelly).

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

The 1911 census shows that there were a total of 5 houses with 4 of those being occupied. House 5 was unoccupied but the landholder was Hary [sic] Burns. The occupied houses were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1, 2 and 3 slate, iron or tiled roofs and house 4 had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and all the others were 2nd class. House 1 had 6 rooms and 9 windows in the front, house 2 had 3 rooms and 3 windows, house 3 had 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 4 had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were a total of 20 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 4 cow houses, a calf house, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 2 barns, a turf house, 2 sheds, a store and a forge. Eighteen people were in the townland at that time, 9 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was James P. Dalton.

 

House 1: Connolly / Lohan / Collins

The head of the first family in Ticooly (Kelly) was Martin (67) and he had been married to Mary (54) for 34 years and during that time they had had 11 years and 8 of those had survived. They shared the house with 3 of those children, Daniel (23), Madeline (22) and Terisa [sic] (19) and also in the house at that time were 3 servants, John Lohan (26), Michl Collins (24) and Thos Collins (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Martin, Mary and Madeline spoke Irish and English and all the household could read and write. Martin and Daniel were farmer’s and John, Michl and Thos were farm servants. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 6 rooms and they had a stable. a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn, a turf house, 2 sheds, a store and a forge. The landholder was Martin Connolly.

 

House 2: Nolan

The widow, Bridget 72 was listed as being the head of this family and she had been married for 42 years and had had 8 children, all of whom survived. She lived with her son, John (44). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget spoke Irish and English but only John could read and write. Bridget was a herd’s wife and John was a herd. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable. a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Martin Connolly.

 

House 3: Collins

Michael (67) was listed as the head of the family in house 3 and he had been married to Mary (43) for 28 years and had had 8 children, of which 7 had survived. They lived with 3 of those children, Anne (12), Mary (8) and Norah (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael could speak both Irish and English and the children could read and write. Michael was a labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a fowl house. The landholder was Martin Connolly.

 

House 4: Mullins

The head of the last household in Ticooly (Kelly) was the widow, Bridget (56), who had been married for 18 years and had had 2 children, Michael John (18) and Patrick Joseph (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget and Patrick Joseph could speak both Irish and English and all the family could read and write. Bridget was a dressmaker and the sons were both labourers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a fowl house. The landholder was Hary [sic] Burns.

 

1901 Census

There were 4 houses in the townland of Ticooly (Kelly) according to the 1901 census, 3 of those being occupied. House 4 was unoccupied but the landholder was listed as being Jane Bourns. The 3 occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 2 had slate, iron or tiled roofs while house 3 only had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling, house 2 was a 2nd class dwelling and house 3 was a 3rd class. House 1 had 15 rooms and 8 windows in the front, house 2 had 3 rooms and 3 windows and house 3 had 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 33 out buildings consisting of 4 stables, 3 coach houses, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, 2 piggeries, 4 fowl houses, a boiling house, 6 barns, a turf house, a potato, 3 sheds, a store, a forge and a laundry. There were a total of 15 people in the townland at that time, 7 males and 8 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.

 

House 1: Connolly / Kilgannon / Nolan

The head of this, the first family in Ticooly (Kelly), was Martin (57) who was married to Mary (46) and they shared the house with 5 of their children, Kathleen (20), Agnes (17), Daniel (13), Isa (10) and Angela (8) and also in the house at that time were a farm servant, John Kilgannon (17) and 3 shepherds, Thomas Nolan (60), John Nolan (30) and Thomas Nolan (22).  They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Martin, Mary, John (17), Thomas (60), John (30) and Thomas (22) could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. Martin was a farmer, Daniel. Isa and Angela were scholars, John Kilgannon was a farm labourer and Thomas (60), John (30) and Thomas (22) were shepherds. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 15 rooms and they had 2 stables, 2 coach houses a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, 4 fowl houses, a boiling house, 3 barns, a turf house, a potato house, 2 sheds, a store, a forge and a laundry. The landholder was Martin Connolly.

 

House 2: Nolan

Bridget (65) was listed as being the head of this family and she was listed as being married but there was no husband listed in this entry. Also in the house was her daughter, Anne (21). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget spoke Irish and English and Anne could read and write. Bridget was a shepherd’s wives and Anne was a shepherd’s daughter. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Martin Connolly.

 

House 3: McLoughlin

The head of the last house in Ticooly (Kelly) was Catherine (45) and she shared the house with her nephew, John (20). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Catherine could speak both Irish and English and John could read and write. Catherine was an unemployed cook domestic servant and John was a shepherd. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had 2 stables, a coach house and 2 barns. The landholder was Jane Bourns.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Lord Clonbrock was the immediate lessor in the townland of Ticooly (O’Kelly). He had in fee (for himself) a house, herd’s house and offices on 552 acres, 2 roods and 21 perches of land that had an annual ratable valuation of £185 for the land and £16 for the buildings. He leased 3 tenements to the following: Patrick Clarke leased 2 plots of land, the first of 1 acre and 2 roods for 14s and the second of 6 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches for 2s, William Burns paid £62 10s for 155 acres, 1 rood and 34 perches of land and £2 10s for a house and offices and finally, James Kelly paid 4s for 2 roods and 10 perches of land.

 

This page was added on 25/05/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *