Irish Grid: M 70010 43300
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Lisnagree is the property of Michl. D. Bellew held by deed for. It contains 216 acres, 1 rood and 33 perches. all of which is under cultivation. Houses and roads are in good repair. Pays for County Cess £1. 2s. 3½d.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Lisnagree is situated in a western part of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin bounded by Greenville,Caltra, Caltra Pallis and Course townlands in the same barony.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Lisnagree.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Lisnagree.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: Full Census records are available See below.
1911: Full Census records are available See below.
Overview of the townland.
There were only 2 houses in the townland of Lisnagree in 1901 and they were both occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were both built of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had a slate, iron or tiled roof while house 2 only had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Both houses were 2nd class houses. House 1 had 7 rooms and 5 windows in the front and house 2 had 4 rooms and 3 windows. There were 8 out buildings between the 2 houses consisting of, 3 stables, a coach house, 2 cow houses, a barn and a shed. There were a total of 9 people in the townland at that time, 6 males and 3 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.
The head of this family was Michael R. (65) and he was married to Elen [sic] (55) and they shared the house with Their son, Thomas (20) and 2 servants, Pat Dannil [sic] (21) and Tom Misgal [sic] (23). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, with the exception of Tom, who only spoke English. They could all read and write. Michael R. and Thomas were farmers and Pat and Tom were farm servants. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 7 rooms and they also had 2 stables. a coach house, a cow house and a shed. The landholder was Michael Cahill.
The widow Bridget was the head of this family and she shared the house with her son, Pat (28), who was married to Maria (23) and also in the house was another son, Mark (22). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except for Maria. They could all read and write. Bridget was a shepherd’s mother, Pat was a shepherd, Maria was a shepherd’s wife and Mark was a shepherd’s brother. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house and a barn. The landholder was Martin Connolly.
Overview of the townland
There were 2 houses in the townland in 1911, both being occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were both constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing and house 2 had a slate, iron or tiled roof. Both houses were 2nd class dwellings. House 1 had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 2 had 6 rooms and 5 windows in the front. There were a total of 12 out buildings and they consisted of 3 stables, 3 cow houses, a calf house, 2 piggeries, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. There were 10 people in the townland, 5 males and 5 females. The enumerator for the area was James P. Dalton.
The sole occupant of this house was Patrick (38), who was married for 10 years and had had 7 children but there was no mention of his wife in this entry. He was a Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. He was a herd, could read and write and spoke both Irish and English. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and he had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Martin Connolly.
The head of this family was the widow, Ellen (68), who had been married for 45 years and had had 7 children and all had survived. She lived in the house with her son, Patrick (44), her daughter-in-law, Delia (32) who had been married for 10 years and had had 3 children. Also in the house were 4 grandchildren, Michael Joe (6), Mary (3), Helen (2mths) and Alfred Jennings (5) and also 2 servants, Willie Byrne (17) and Michael Ruane (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic, except for Alfred who was born in Co. Roscommon. Apart from Helen, all of the household could speak both Irish and English. Ellen, Patrick, Delia and Michael Joe could all read and write. Ellen and Patrick were farmers, Delia, Michael Joe and Alfred were scholars, Willie was a domestic and Michael was a labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 6 rooms and they had 3 stables, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Ellen Cahill.
John F. Browne leased a herd’s house and offices on 197 acres of land from Sir Christopher Bellew Bt. for £130 for the land and £1 10s for the buildings, John Ferguson leased 2 land plots from John H. Blakeney, the first of 1 rood for 3s and the second of 10 perches for 1s. Patrick Ferguson leased 20 perches of land from John H. Blakeney for 2s and John Madden leased a house and offices on 19 acres, 2 roods and 17 perches of land from Sir Christopher Bellew Bt. for £13 10s for the land and £5 for the buildings.
The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Cartronkeele, Lisnagappagh & Lissnisk. The 1641 (pre Cromwell) owner was Teige Reogh Kelly, a Catholic and in 1670 (post Cromwell) the owner was the Protestant, Erasmus Spillane. There were 158 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 147 plantation acres of profitable land and that land was forfeited.