Derrymore

Doire Mór

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 73837 47605

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Lord Ffrench who holds it under a deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. about 55 acres of which is arable of good quality, the remainder bog. The houses are in good repair. It pays £2. 19. 4. Co. Cess.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the north of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin, is bounded by Ticooly O’Kelly in said barony and by Currafarry in the Barony of Kilconnel in this parish, by Islands in the parish of Killian and by Eskermurry, Cloonabricken and Currabane in the parish of Killeroran in Killian Barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Derrymore.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 5 houses in the townland of Derrymore and all were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. Houses 1 and 3 were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs while houses 2, 4 and 5 had only mud, wood or other perishable materials for walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 3 were 2nd class dwellings and the others were all 3rd class. Houses 2, 4 and 5 had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 1 had 4 rooms and 4 windows and house 3 had 5 rooms and 5 windows. There were 21 out-buildings in Derrymore at that time consisting of 3 stables, 5 cow houses, a calf house, 5 piggeries, 4 barns and 3 sheds. Twenty-nine people lived in the townland at that time, 12 males and 17 females. The enumerator for the townland was Const. Patrick Clements.

 

House 1: Delaney

The head of the first family in Derrymore was Patrick (51) and he was married to Margaret (47) and had been for 23 years and in that time they had had 10 children and 9 of those had survived. They shared the house with 8 of their children, Thomas (21), Joe (19), Patrick (17), Mary Kate (15), Annie (11), John Joe (9), Margaret Agness [sic] (6) and Dora Josephine (4). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick (51), Mary Kate and Annie spoke Irish and English. Apart from the 2 youngest children, they could all read and write. Patrick (51) was a farmer, Thomas, Joe and Patrick (17) were listed as being farmer’s sons and Mary Kate, Annie, John Joe and Margaret Agness [sic] were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Patrick Delaney.

 

House 2: Kelly

There were 8 members of this family and the head was John (58) and he lived in the house with his wife of 26 years, Mary (56) and they had had 8 children, all of whom had survived. They shared the house with 6 of those children, Patrick (22), Margaret (19), Sarah (16), John (15), Kate (12) and Annie (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John (58) and Mary spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. John (58) was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s son and John (15), Kate and Annie were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was John Kelly.

 

House 3: Murray

Lawrence (70) was listed as the head of this family and he had been married to Mary (50) for 29 years and in which time they had had 4 children and 3 of those had survived. They lived in the house with 3 of those children, Thomas (28), Kate (24) and Bridget (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both parents spoke Irish and English and all, apart from Lawrence, could read and write. Lawrence was a farmer and Thomas was a farmer’s son. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Lawrence Murray.

 

House 4: Nee / Kennedy

The widow, Catherine (70) was listed as the head of this household and she lived in the house with her daughter, Ellen Kennedy (32) who had been married to Dan Kennedy (45) for 4 years and they had 1 child, Mary Kennedy (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Catherine spoke Irish and English and Ellen and Dan could read and write. Catherine was a farmer and Dan was a farm labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Catherine Nee.

 

House 5: Quinn

The head of the last family in Derrymore was William (40) and he had been married to Mary (35) for 4 years but had no children. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. William could speak both Irish and English while Mary spoke only English and both could read and write. William was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and had a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was William Quinn.

 

1901 census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 6 houses in the townland of Derrymore and all were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. Houses 1 and 2 were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 3-6 had only mud, wood or other perishable materials for walls. House 1 had a slate, iron or tiled roof while the others had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 2nd class dwelling and the other houses were all 3rd class. House 1 had 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and the others all had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there a total of 13 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, 6 cow houses, 3 piggeries, a fowl house and a barn. There were a total of 33 people in the townland at the time of the census, 14 males and 19 females. The enumerator was Const. Michael Kelly.

 

House 1: Delaney

Patrick (36) was the head of the first family in Derrymore and he was married to Margaret (33) and they shared the house with 6 of their children, Denis (12), Thomas (10), Joseph (8), Pat (6), Mary Kate (4) and Annie (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. The parents could speak Irish and English while the children spoke only English. With the exception of Pat, Mary Kate and Annie, they could all read and write. Patrick and Margaret were listed as being farmers. And all the children, except Annie, were listed as attending school. The house was a 2nd class with 4 rooms and had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Patrick Delaney.

 

House 2: Kelly

The head of this household was the widower, Patrick (83), who lived in the house with his son, John (46), daughter-in-law, Mary (36) and 7 grandchildren, Bridget (16), Ellen (14), Patrick (11), Margret (8), Sarah (7), John (5) and Catherine (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, John and Mary spoke Irish and English and the grandchildren all spoke English. Patrick (83), John (5) and Catherine could not read, Sarah could read only and all the others could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, John (46) was a farmer’s son, Mary was a farmer’s daughter-in-law, Bridget. Ellen, Patrick, Margret and Sarah were scholars and John (5) was receiving instruction at home. The house was a 3rd class with 3 rooms and had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Patrick Kelly.

 

House 3: Murray

Lawrence (50) was the head of this Murray family and he was married to Mary (35) and they lived in the house with 3 of their children, Thomas (18), Katie (16) and Bridget (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all, apart from Lawrence, could read and write. Lawrence was a farmer, Thomas was a farmer’s son, Katie was a farmer’s daughter and Bridget was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class with 2 rooms and had a cow house and a fowl house. The landholder was Lawrence Murray.

 

House 4: Quinn / Murray

The head of the family in house 4 was James (50) and he was married to Catherine (40) and they lived with Catherine’s widowed mother, Bridget Murray (60) and their daughter, Mary (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Catherine could read only and Mary could read and write. James was a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s mother-in-law and Mary was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 3rd class with 2 rooms and had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was James Quinn.

 

House 5: Nee

There were 4 members of this family with John (66) being the head and he lived in the house with his wife, Catherine (56) and 2 of their daughters, Katie (24) and Ellie (22). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and both children could read and write. Both John and Catherine were listed as being farmers, and Katie and Ellie were farmer’s daughters. The house was a 3rd class with 2 rooms and had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Nee

 

House 6: Laff [sic]

Husband and wife, Thomas (75) and Catherine (67) lived in the last house in Derrymore and they were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but could not read. Thomas was a farmer. The house was a 3rd class with 2 rooms and had a cow house. The landholder was Thomas Laff [sic].

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864)

Lord Clonbrock was the immediate lessor in the townland and leased tenements to the following: Peter Kelly, Patrick Kelly, Patrick Manion [sic], Thomas Nee and John Murray jointly leased 368 acres, 3 roods and 2 perches of land and each had a house and offices. Peter Kelly paid £9 16s for his part of the land and 15s for the buildings, Patrick Kelly paid £2 13s for his part of the land and 10s for the buildings and Patrick Manion [sic] paid £3 10s for land and 12s for his buildings. Thomas Nee paid £4 10s for land and 13s for buildings and John Murray paid £8 1s for land and 15s for his buildings. Ellen Nee Leased 1 acre, 3 roods and 10 perches of land with a house for 18s for the land and 5s for the house.

This page was added on 06/05/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *