Ticooly (Carr)

Tigh Cúile (Carr)

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 73685 44973

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Is the property of Lord Clonbrock who holds under a deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. all of which is under arable and pasture with exceptions of about 7 acres of wood. The houses in general are in good repair. It pays £2. 18. 5½.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in the eastern side of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel, bounded by Lecarhoo, Ballyvoneen, Loughaunbwee, Lughnagh and Bredagh townlands in same barony and by Ticooly O’Kelly in Barony of Tiaquin.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Ticooly (Carr).

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland.

There were a total of 3 houses in the townland of Ticooly (Carr) and 2 of those, houses 1 and 3, were occupied and all 3 houses were listed as being private dwellings. Houses 1 and 3 were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with house 1 having slate, iron or tiles for roofs and house 3 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and house 3 was a 2nd class. House 1 had 11 rooms and 6 rooms in the front and house 3 had 3 rooms and 6 windows in the front. There were a total of 16 out buildings in the townland, 6 stables, a coach house, 3 cow houses, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses and 2 barns. Seventeen people were in the townland at the time of the 1911 census, 6 males and 11 females. The enumerator was James P. Dalton.

 

House 1: Meehan

There were 13 members of this household and the head was Thomas (45) who had been married to Bridget (40) for 17 years and they had had 11 children, Annie (16), Maggie (14), Ellie (12), Michael (11), Mary (9), Bridget (8), Norah (7), Kathleen (5), Josephine (4), Julia (3) and James (7mths). They were Roman Catholic and Bridget (40) and Annie were born in England while all the others were born in Co. Galway. With the exception of Bridget (40), Kathleen, Josephine, Julia and James, they all spoke Irish and English. Apart from the 3 youngest children, they could all read and write. Thomas was a Herd, Bridget (40) was listed as being a wife and Maggie, Ellie, Michael, Mary, Bridget (8), Norah and Kathleen were scholars. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 11 rooms and they had 3 stables, a coach house, 3 cow houses, a piggery, a fowl house and a barn. The landholder was Patrick Hussion [sic].

 

House 2 was unoccupied

 

House 3: Mockler [sic]

John (72) was listed as the head of this family and was married to Mary (63) for 32 years and they had had 4 children and all had survived. They shared the house with 2 of their sons, Thomas (31) and John (23). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John (72) and Mary spoke Irish and English and Thomas spoke only English. John (62) could not read, Mary could read only and Thomas and John (23) could read and write. John (72) was a farmer, Thomas was a farm servant and John (23) was a carpenter. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a piggery, a fowl house and a barn. The landholder was John Mockler [sic]

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland.

The 1901 census shows that there were a total of 3 houses in the townland with 2 of those being occupied. House 2 was unoccupied but the landholder was William Hession. Both the occupied houses had stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had slate, iron or tiled roof with house 3 having thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing.  House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and house 3 was a 2nd class. House 1 had 6 rooms and 6 windows in the front and house 3 had 3 rooms and 3 windows. There were 13 out buildings in the townland, 3 stables, 3 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, 2 piggeries, a fowl house, a barn and a turf house. Thirteen people were in the townland at that time, 6 males and 7 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.

 

House 1: Meehan / Moran

The head of this household was Thomas (33) and he was married to Bridget (28) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Annie (6), Maggie (4), Ellie (2) and Michael (1) and also in the house at that time were a nephew, Tim Moran (13) and a niece, Maggie Moran (9). They were all Roman Catholic and Bridget and Annie were born in England while the others were all born in Co. Galway. Thomas could speak both Irish and English and Thomas, Bridget, Tim and Maggie Moran could read and write. Thomas was a shepherd, Maggie (4) and Ellie were shepherd’s daughters, Michael was a shepherd’s son and Annie, Tim and Maggie Moran were scholars. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 6 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a turf house. The landholder was William Hession.

 

House 2 was unoccupied

 

House 3: Mocklare [sic]

The head of the household in house 3 was John (50) and he was married to Mary (45) and they lived in the house with 3 of their children, Thomas (21), Katie (16) and John (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John (50) and Mary spoke Irish and English and John (50) could not read, Mary could read only and the children could read and write. John (50) was a farmer, Thomas was a farmer’s son, Katie was a farmer’s daughter and John (13) was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Mockler [sic].

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Lord Clonbrock was the immediate lessor in the townland of Ticooly (Carr) and he leased 3 tenements to the following: Michael and John Carr paid £93 for 213 acres, 2 roods and 19 perches of land and 10s for a herd’s house, John Carr paid £6 for a house and offices and John Moclare [sic] paid £3 5s for 7 acres, 2 roods and 5 perches of land and 15s for a house and office.

This page was added on 25/05/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *