Graiguenavaddoge

Gráig na bhFeadóg

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 71494 44650

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Graiguenavaddoge is the property of Michl. D. Bellew held by deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. all of which is of good quality and in a good state of cultivation except about 25 acres of bog which is in the N. West part of it. Pays for Co. Cess £0. 19s. 9¾d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Graiguenavaddoge is situated in a western part of this parish in the Barony of Tiaquin, bounded by Killosolan and Caltra townlands in same barony and by Glebe in the barony of Kilconnel.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Graiguenavaddoge.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1901 census shows that there were a total of 6 houses in the townland and that they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. Houses 1 and 3 were 3rd class dwellings and the other 4 were 2nd class. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with houses 4 and 5 having slate, iron or tiled roofs and the others all having only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 3 had 4 rooms and no windows in the front, house 1 had 3 rooms and 1 window, houses 2, 5 and 6 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 4 had 3 rooms and 5 windows. There were 29 out buildings consisting of 7 stables, 6 cow houses, 6 piggeries, 5 barns, a workshop and 4 sheds. There were 44 people in the townland at the time of this census, 27 males and 17 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.

 

House 1: Gilmore

The head of the first house in the townland was Michael (44) and he was married to Maria (35) and they shared the house with 9 of their children, Mary Anne (19), Patrick (17), Martin (15), Nonie (13), Bridget (12), John (10), Matt (8), Michl (6) and Laurence (3). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There was nothing entered under the language heading so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Apart from Michl and Laurence, they could all read and write. Michael was a farmer, Maria was a farmer’s wife, Mary Anne was a farmer’s daughter, Patrick and Martin were farmer’s sons and Nonie, Bridget, John, Matt and Michl were scholars. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had 2 stables, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Michael Gilmore.

 

House 2: Gilmore

John (45) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Honoria (37) and they lived in the house with 8 of their children, Mary (16), Patrick (14), Katie (13), Julia (11), Martin (9), Thomas (8), John (6) and Matt (4). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There was nothing entered under the language heading so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Matt could not read, John (6) could read only and the others could all read and write. John (45) was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s daughter, Patrick and Matt were farmer’s sons and the other children were all scholars. The house they lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was John Gilmore.

 

House 3: Kilmartin

The head of this household was Thomas (50) and he was married to Mary (40) and they lived in the house with their son, Martin (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas and Mary spoke both Irish and English and Martin spoke only English. They could all read and write. Thomas was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s wife and Martin was a farmer’s son. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Thomas Kilmartin.

 

House 4: Barrett

Michael (40) was the head of this family in house 4 and he was married to Anne (48) and they shared the house with 7 of their children, James (23), Mary (21), Patrick (20,) John (18), Bridget (16), Katie (13) and Edward (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael, Anne, James and Patrick spoke Irish and English. Michael could not read but all the others could read and write. Michael was a carpenter and farmer, James and John were farmer’s sons, Mary and Bridget were farmer’s daughters, Patrick was a carpenter and Katie and Edward were scholars. The house they lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn, a workshop and a shed. The landholder was Michael Barrett.

 

House 5: Coffey

The head of this family was the widow, Ellen (65) and she shared the house with 2 of her children, Patrick (35) and Ellen (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. Ellen (65) could read only and Patrick and Ellen (28) could read and write. Ellen (65) was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s son and Ellen (28) was a farmer’s daughter. The house they lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Ellen Coffey.

 

House 6: Gavin / Clarke

The last house in the townland had, as its head, Andrew (63) and he was married to Bridget (50) and they lived in the house with Andrew’s step daughter, Hannah Clarke (21) and three of their sons, Thomas (19), Andrew (16) and John (12). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Andrew (65) and Bridget spoke Irish and English and the others all spoke only English. Apart from Andrew (65), they could all read and write. Andrew (65) was a farmer, Hannah was a farmer’s daughter, Thomas was a farmer’s son and Andrew (16) and John were scholars. The house they lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Andrew Gavin.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1911 census shows that there were 6 houses in the townland and that they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 3 had slate, iron or tiled roofs while the others only had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 6 was a 3rd class dwelling while all the others were 2nd class. House 6 had 4 rooms but only 1 window, houses 2, 4 and 5 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows, houses 3 had 4 rooms and 5 windows and house 1 had 6 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were a total of 44 out buildings consisting, 11 stables, 10 cow houses, 2 calf houses, 6 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 6 barns, a workshop and 6 sheds. There were a total of 45 people, 24 males and 21 females. The enumerator was J.P. Dalton.

 

House 1: Gavin / Clarke

The head of the first household was the widower, Andrew (70) and he had had 3 children, all of whom had survived, and he shared the house with his son, Thomas (30), who had been married to Mary (33) for 1 year but had no children at that time. Also in the house were another son, Andrew (27) and a step daughter, Hannah Clarke (32). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Andrew (70) could speak Irish and English, but he could not read while all the others could read and write. Andrew (70) was a farmer and Thomas and Andrew (27) were farmer’s sons. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 6 rooms and they had 3 stables, 2 cow houses, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Andrew Gavin.

 

House 2: Coffey / Leonard

Patrick (48) was the head of this family and he had been married to Jane (35) for 6 years and they had had 4 children and all had survived. They shared the house with Patrick’s sister, Ellen (34), their children, Michael John (5), Josephine (4), May (10mths) and Nellie (10mths). Also in the house at that time were nephews, Patrick Leonard (16) and Michael Leonard (11) and niece, Mary Anne Leonard (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick (48), Jane and Ellen all spoke Irish and English. Michael John, Josephine, May and Nellie could not read, but all the others could read and write. Patrick was a farmer and Mary Anne and Michael were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had 3 stables, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Patrick Coffey.

 

House 3: Barrett / Delaney

Michael (72) was the head of this family in house 3 and he had been married to Anne (60) for 40 years and they had had 9 children and 8 of those had survived. They shared the house with 4 of those children, Patrick (32) Edward (20), Bridget (26), Katie (23) and also a nephew, Michael John Delaney (3). They were all Roman Catholic but only Michael was listed as having a place of birth, Co. Galway. Michael, Anne and Patrick spoke Irish and English and the others all spoke only English. With the exception of young Michael John Delaney, they could all read and write. Michael and Patrick were carpenters and Edward was a farmer. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn, a workshop and a shed. The landholder was Michael Barrett.

 

House 4: Sweeney

Martin (38) was the head of the family and he had been married to Magret [sic] (36) for 3 years and they had 2 children, Celia Mary (2) and Catherin (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Martin could speak Irish and English. Martin and Magret could read and write. Martin was a farmer. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Martin Sweeney.

 

House 5: Gilmore

The head of the Gilmore family in house 5 was John (60) and he had been married to Hanora (49) for 29 years and they had had 11 children and all of those had survived but the census has John listed as having 13 children, so that could indicate that he had 2 children form a previous marriage. The shared the house with 9 of their children, Mary (26), Maggie (24), Julia (19), Martin (18), Thomas (16), Johnny (14), Matt (12), Michael (10) and Norah (8). They were all listed as being Roman Catholic but only John had a place of birth listed and that was Co. Galway. John and Hanora spoke both Irish and English and Mary was listed as speaking only English. All of the family could read and write. John was listed as a farmer, Hanora was listed as a wife and Johnny, Matt, Michael and Norah were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, 2 cow houses, a piggery, a barn and 2 sheds. The landholder was John Gilmore.

 

House 6: Gilmore

The head of the last house in Graiguenavaddoge [sic] was Michael (55) and he had been married to Moria [sic] (47) for 29 years and they had had 11 children but only 9 had survived. They lived in the house with 6 of those children, Patrick (27), Matthew (17), Michael (15), Laurence (13), Joseph (9) and Norah (23). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from Norah, they all spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. Michael (55) was a farmer and all the children were listed as being labourers. The house they all lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had 2 stables, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Michael Gilmore.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Sir Christopher Bellew Bt. was the main immediate lessor in the townland of Graiguenavaddoge. Patrick Rabbitt leased 7 acres and 21 perches of land for £3 16s and also a second tenement, a house and offices on 13 acres, 3 roods and 33 perches of land for £3 15s foe the land and 8s for the buildings. Edward Keane leased three tenements, 8 acres, 1 rood and 20 perches of land for £5, a house and offices on 7 acres, 3 roods and 10 perches of land for £5 15s for the land and £1 4s for the buildings and also 23 acres, 3 roods and 31 perches of bog for £3 8s. Edward Keane had a vacant house with an annual ratable valuation of £1 1s. Patrick Kelly leased 2 plots of land, the first being of 8 acres for £5 2s, and the second was of 14 acres, 3 roods and 27 perches for £2 10s. Simon Costelloe leased a house and offices on 7 acres, 1 rood and 17 perches of land for £5 5s for the land and £1 2s for the buildings and also a separate plot of land of 15 acres and 15 perches for £2 12s. Peter Laff [sic] leased 2 plots of land, the first of 7 acres, 2 roods and 7 perches for £5 5s, the second of 17 acres, 3 roods and 21 perches for £2 9s and also a house for 8s annually. Thomas Mitchell leased 2 plots of land, the first was of & acres and 3 roods for £5 10s and the second was of 17 acres, 3 roods and 35 perches for £2 18s and he also had a house and offices along with a garden of 1 rood and 25 perches for which he paid 3s for the garden and 15s for the buildings.

 

1670 Down Survey

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Graganevedoge. The 1670 owner was Sir Henry Slingsby. There were 3 plantation actress of unprofitable land, 63 plantation acres of profitable land and 68 plantation acres were forfeited.

 

This page was added on 01/11/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *