Irish Grid: M 68708 41975
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Is the property of Cornelius O’Kelly held by deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. all of which is flat and dry and of good quality. The houses and roads are in good repair. Pays for County Cess £4. 15s. 10s.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Lies in the S. West of the parish is bounded by Course, Rathbaun and Castleblakeney townlands in this parish, in the barony of Tiaquin and by Creggaun in the parish of Balymacward in said barony.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Gortavally.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Killosolan.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: There are no records of anyone living in Gortavally in 1901
1911: Full Census records are available See below.
Overview of the townland
There was only the 1 house in the townland in 1911 and it was occupied and listed as being a private dwelling. It was constructed of stone. brick or concrete and had a roof of thatch, wood or other perishable materials. It had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. The enumerator was John Gallagher.
House 1: Caulter
Husband and wife, Thomas (66) and Winafred (67) lived in this house and they had been married for 32 years and had had 6 children and 4 of those children had survived. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English and Thomas could read and write. Thomas was listed as being a blacksmith. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a cow house, piggery and a forge. The landholder was Richard Cotter.
Michael Nolan leased 5 acres, 2 roods and 29 perches of land from John H. Blakeney for £4 5s, Thomas Qualter [sic] leased a house and forge from Michael Nolan for 5s, Thomas Ormsby and John Potter jointly leased 9 acres, 1 rood and 26 perches of land from John H. Blakeney and Mary Petty for which they each paid £3 12s and John Potter leased 2 tenements, the first being 10 acres, 2 roods and 6 perches of land from John H. Blakeny for £3 5s and the second was land of 1acre and 6 perches from Thomas Ormsby for 15s. Michael Regan leased a house and 3 roods and 22 perches of land from Mary Petty for 10s for the land and 10s for the house, Thomas Bourke leased 4 acres, 3 roods and 25 perches of land from Thomas Ormsby and Mary Petty for £2 10s and Mary Downey leased a house from Thomas Bourke for 5s.