Castleffrench

An Clochar

Roger Harrison

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Lord Ffrench who holds under a deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. all of which is under the Demesne of Lord Ffrench with exception of about 10 acres to the N. East. It contains about 65 acres of wood. The road bounding it on the W. and N. West in good repair. It pays £17. 12. 3. Co. Cess.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the N. East of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel is bounded by Ballyvoneen and Lissnaclossagh in this parish and by Castleffrench West in the parish of Ahascragh in Kilconnel Barony, by Cornannanty and Cornannanty Beg in the parish of Killeroran and Castle Ffrench East in the parish of Ahascragh in Killian barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Castleffrench.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 4 houses in Castleffrench and all were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all built with stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 3 was a 1st class dwelling and the other 3 houses were all 2nd class. House 4 had 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front, house 1 had 5 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 2 had 5 rooms and 5 windows and house 3 had 7 rooms and 16 windows in the front. They were 27 outbuildings consisting of 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 4 cow houses, 2 calf houses, a dairy, 4 piggeries, 3 fowl houses, 2 barns, a turf house, a workshop and 4 sheds. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 25 people in the townland, 11 males and 14 females with 4 males and 4 females being Church of Ireland and the rest being Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Constable Patrick Clement.

 

House 1: Taylor

The widow, Mary (66) was the head of the first family in Castleffrench and she lived in the house with her son, William (40) and daughter, Deborah (35). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could all read and write and William was a farmer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was William Taylor.

 

House 2: Mannion / Kilduff

The head of this household was John (73) and he had been married to Catherine (68) for 44 years and they had had 8 children and 5 of those had survived. They shared the house with their son, Thomas (38) and he had been married to Elizabeth (30) for 1 year and they had 1 child, Mary Kate (5mths), Also in the house were another son, Joseph (22) and a grandson, James Kilduff (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Catherine and Elizabeth could speak both Irish and English and, apart from John and baby Mary Kate, they could all read and write. John was a herd, Thomas and Joseph were agricultural labourers and James was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house, and a shed. The landholder was Fred W. Legg.

 

House 3: Legg / Bauvard [sic] / Bigger / Magill / Kelly / Kelleher / Seale

There were 11 members of this household and the head of the family was Fred K. W. (54) and he was married to Edith Olivier (48) and had been for 14 years and had had 5 children with 3 of those surviving, Dorothy M. C. (13), Eileen Kate (10) and Arthur F. (9). Also in the house at that time were 4 servants, Minnie Bauvard [sic] (21), Thomas Kelly (30), Ellen Kelleher (27) and Sarah Seale (25) and 2 visitors, Henry J. Bigger (40) and James P. Magill (42). Thomas, Ellen and Sarah were Roman Catholic and all the others were Church of Ireland. Fred K. W., Edith Olivia and Minnie were born in England, Dorothy M. C., Eileen Kate, Arthur F., Ellen and Sarah were born in Co. Galway, Henry J. was born in Co. Down, James P. was born in Co. Kerry and Thomas was born in Co. Meath. All could read and write. Fred K. W. was a farmer, the 3 Legg children were scholars, Minnie was a servant, Henry J. and James P. were land commissioners, Thomas was a coachman, Ellen was a cook and servant and Sarah was a housemaid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 7 rooms and had a stable, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn, a turf house, a workshop and a shed. The landholder was Fred W. Legg.

 

House 4: Ellis

The head of the last house in Castleffrench was the widow Margaret (70) and she lived in the house with her son, John (37) who had been married to Anne (70) for 2 years and they had 1 child, Margaret Anne (4mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Margaret could speak both Irish and English and only John could read and write. Margaret was a lodge keeper and John was an agricultural labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and had a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Fred W. Legg.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the Townland.

There were 4 houses in the townland of Castleffrench and they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed with stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling with the other 3 being 2nd class. House 2 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 3 and 4 had 4 and 5 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 1 had 20 rooms and 10 windows in the front. There were 26 out buildings, 4 stables, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, 3 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, a boiling house, 2 barns, 3 turf houses, a potato house, 2 sheds and a laundry. There were a total of 24 people in the townland at the time of this census, 8 males and 16 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick Barrett.

 

House 1: Legg / Blake / Kilduff

The head of the first household in Castleffrench was Fredk [sic] Wm (44) and he was married to Edith Olivia (39) and they lived in the house with 2 of their children, Dorothy Mgt [sic] C. (4) and Eileen Kate (5mths), Fred’s widowed mother, Mary (71), his sister, Eliza Mgt [sic], a niece, Katie Eliza Blake (19) and 3 servants, Anne Kilduff (45), Anne Kilduff (27) and Patrick Kilduff (21). Anne (45), Anne (27) and Patrick were Roman Catholic, Mary, Eliza Mgt [sic] and Katie Eliza were Church of England and the others were Church of Ireland. Fredk [sic] Wm, Edith Olivia, Mary, Eliza Mgt [sic] and Katie Eliza were born in England and the others were all born in Co. Galway. Anne (27) could read only and, apart from the 2 young children, the others could all read and write. Fredk [sic] was a land agent, Anne (45) was a cook, Anne (27) was a housemaid and Patrick was a Gardener. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 20 rooms and they had 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a shed and a laundry. The landholder was Daniel Churcher [sic].

 

House 2: Ellis

There were 2 members of the Ellis family in house 2, Margaret (60), a widow, and her son John (27). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both could read and write and Margaret was a gatekeeper and John was a farm labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a fowl house. The landholder was Daniel Churcher [sic].

 

House 3: Mannion

John (65) was the head of this family and he was married to Catherine (60) and they shared the house with 3 of their children, Thomas (22), Katie (15) and Joseph (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Catherine and Thomas spoke Irish and English and all, apart from John, could read and write. John was a herd, Thomas was a farm servant, Katie was a herd’s daughter and Joseph was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery, a turf house and a shed. The landholder was Daniel Churcher [sic].

 

House 4: Taylor

There were 7 members of the Taylor family in the last house in Castleffrench and the head of that family was Richd [sic] (70) and he was married to Mary (56) and they lived in the house with 5 of their children, William (30), Deborah (26), Catherine (24), Susan (21) and Annie (16), They were all Roman Catholic with Richd [sic] was born in Co. Limerick, Mary and William were born in Co. Roscommon and the others were all born in Co. Galway. They could all read and write. Richd [sic] was a farmer, William was a labourer, Deborah and Catherine were seamstress’, Susan was a milliner and Annie was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a barn and a turf house. The landholder was Richard Taylor.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

William Kilgannon leased 275 acres, 2 roods and 24 perches of land from James Thorngate for £182 annually and James Thornton had 16 acres, 3 roods and 18 perches of land with an annual ratable valuation of £6 10s and also a house, offices and gate lodge on 151 acres and 12 perches of land that had an annual ratable valuation of £85 for the land and £40 for the buildings.

This page was added on 03/03/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *