Islands

Na hOileáin

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 68079 44521

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Michl. D. Bellew held by for ever. It contains a.r.p. all of which is under cultivation except about 35 acres of bog. Houses and roads are in middling good repair. Pays for Co. Cess £2. 1s. 2½d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in a western part of the parish, bounded by Greenville, Gollagh and Lehanagh townlands in this parish and barony of Tiaquin and by Bovinion in the parish of Moylough in Killian barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Islands.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There were 5 houses in the townland of Islands in 1911 and they were all occupied and were private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. House 3 was a 3rd class dwelling while all the others were 2nd class. House 3 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 1, 2 and 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 5 had 3 rooms and 4 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total of 18 out buildings in the townland consisting of a stable, 4 cow houses, 5 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 3 barns and 3 sheds. There were 21 people in the townland at the time of this census, 10 males and 11 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Moran.

 

House 1: Moore

Patrick (60) was the head of this family in the first house in Islands and he had been married to Margerat [sic] (70) for 33 years and they had had 3 children, of which 2 had survived. They shared the house with their son John (32). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick and Margerat [sic] spoke both Irish and English but none of the family could read. Patrick was a farmer and John was a farm labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a piggery. The landholder was Pat Moore.

 

House 2: Donohoe

The Head of this family was John (70) and he was married to Mary (67) and had been for 44 years and they had had 7 children and all of those children had survived. They shared the house with 2 of those children, Patrick (28) and Margaret (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both John and Mary spoke Irish and English. John could read only, Margaret could read and write and the other 2 could not read. John was a farmer and Patrick was a farmer’s son. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was John Donohoe.

 

House 3: Murray

Pat (35) was listed as being the head of this household and he had been married to Bridget (44) for 7 years but they had no children together. They shared the house with a daughter[i], Mary Anne (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Mary Anne could read and write. Pat was a farmer and Mary Anne was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Pat Murray.

 

House 4: Doyle / Feeney

There were 4 members of this household and the head was listed as being Patrick (80) and he had been married to Winifred (92) for 53 years and they had had 2 children but only 1 had survived. They shared the house with their son-in-law, John Feeney (55), who had been married to their daughter, Bridget (51) for 31 years and they had had 5 children, 4 of whom had survived. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Winifred spoke only Irish and the others spoke both Irish and English, but only John and Bridget could read and write. Both Patrick and John were listed as being farmers and Bridget was a housekeeper. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Pat Doyle.

 

House 5: Kilgannon / Collins / Fox

The head of the last house in Islands was Thomas (54) and he was married to Narah [sic] (50) and had been for 28 years and they had 10 children of which 8 had survived. They shared the house with 3 of their daughters, Bridget (16), Kathleen (8) and Sarah (6) and also in the house at that time were 2 servants, William Collins (52) and Joseph Fox (16). They were all Roman Catholic with all the Kilgannon family being born in Co. Galway, Joseph was born in Dublin City and there was no place of birth listed for William. Kathleen, Sarah and Joseph spoke only English and the others could all speak both Irish and English. William could not read, Sarah could read only and all the others could read and write. Thomas was an egg exported and farmer, Kathleen and Sarah were scholars and William and Joseph were farm labourers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Thomas Kilgannon.

 

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1901 census shows that there were 7 houses in the townland of Islands in 1901 with 6 of those being occupied. They were all listed as being private dwellings and houses 1 and 2 were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and the other houses were built of mud, wood or other perishable materials for walls and all had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 2 were 2nd class dwellings and the others were all 3rd class. House 5 had 2 rooms and 2 windows, houses 1, 3, 4and 6 had between 2 and 4 rooms and had 3 windows and house 2 had 3 rooms and 4 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were 14 out buildings consisting of 5 cow houses, a calf house, 3 piggeries, 4 barns and a shed. There were a total of 30 people in the townland, 15 each of males and females. The enumerator for the area was Const. John J. Smyth.

 

House 1: Moore

The head of the first house in Islands was Pat (49) and he was married to Margaret (59) and they lived in the house with 2 of their sons, John (22) and Michael (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but none of the family could read. Pat, John and Michael were agricultural labourers and Margaret was listed as being a wife. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Pat Moore.

 

House 2: Kilgannon / Sheridan

There were 10 members of this household and the head of that household was listed as being Thos (44) and he was married to Honoria (39) and they lived in the house with 7 of their children, Maria (15), Pat (14), James (11), Peter (8), Delia (6), Thos (3) and John Jae (1) and also in the house at that time was Honoria’s widowed mother, Ann Ellen Sheridan (71). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thos (44), Honoria, Maria, Pat, James, Peter and Delia spoke both Irish and English and Ann Ellen spoke only Irish. Thos and John Jae could not read and all the others could read and write. Thos was an egg exporter, Honoria was a wife, Maria, Pat, James, Peter, Delia and Thos were scholars, John Jae was an infant and Ann Ellen was a lodger. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a calf house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Thomas Kilgannon.

 

House 3: Collins

Thomas (55) was listed as the head of this family and he lived in the housed with his wife, Kate (31). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English, but only Kate could read and write. Thomas was a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house and a barn. The landholder was Thomas Collins.

 

House 4: Doyle / Feeney

The head of this household was Patrick (70) and he was married to Winnie (75) and they lived in the house with their daughter, Bridget Feeney, who was married but there was no mention of her husband on this entry. Also in the house were 4 grandchildren, Patrick Feeney (20), Mary Feeney (18), Maggie Feeney (16) and Bridget Feeney (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. With the exception of Bridget (10) they could all speak Irish and English. Patrick could read only, Winnie could not read and all the others could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, Bridget (40), Mary and Maggie were farmer’s daughters, Patrick (20) was a farmer’s son and Bridget (10) was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Patrick Doyle.

 

House 5: Raftery

The sole occupant of house 5 was Michael (50) and he was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke Irish and English, could not read and was listed as being a farmer and agricultural labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms. The landholder was Michael Raftery.

 

House 6: Donohoe

The last house in Islands was home to the Donohoe family and the head of the family was John (57) and he was married to Mary (50) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Ellen (23), Pat (19), Norah (17) and Maggie (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. Mary and Pat could not read, John could read only and the others could all read and write. John was a farmer, Ellen and Norah were farmer’s daughters and Maggie was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was John Donohoe.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Sir Christopher Bellew, BT leased a plantation of 2 roods and 12 perches from John F. Browne for 3s and John F. Browne had in fee (for himself) a plantation of 2 roods and 32 perches with an annual ratable valuation of 3s and also 33 acres, 3 roods and 35 perches of bog with an annual ratable valuation of 5s and Peter Tyrell leased 5 acres of land from John F. Browne for £1 5s. John Moore, James Kilginane [sic], Thomas Collins, Thomas Gavin, Mary Dunne and Michael Gavin jointly leased 36 acres and 1 rood of land from John F. Browne. John Moore paid £1 15s for his share of the land and 10s for a house, James Kilginane [sic] paid £2 18s for his share of the land and 11s for a house, Thomas Collins paid £2 18s for his share of the land and 11s for a house and office, Thomas Gavin paid £1 15s for land and 7s for a house, Mary Dunne and Michael Gavin each paid 17s for land and 7s for a house and Michael Tully leased 13 acres, 1 rood and 31 perches of land with a house and office from John F. Browne for which he paid £2 5s for the land and 12s for the buildings.

 

[i] Possibly from a previous marriage of Johns.

This page was added on 03/02/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *