Eskerballycahill

Eiscir Bhaile Uí Chathail

Roger Harrison

Eskerballycahill

Eskerballycahill / Eiscir Bhaile Uí Chathail                     Irish Grid: M 72742 42947

 

Author: Roger Harrison

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Lord French held by deed for it contains 359 acres, 3 roods and 7 perches. It is a flat country of a good quality the greater part of which is under sheep walk. Pays for County Cess £2. 19s. 4½d. including the Cess of the townland French Park.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in the eastern side of the parish in the barony of Kilconnel bounded by Lurgan, Lisslea, Cartron, Glebe and Bredagh in same barony and by Caltra and Ticooly O’Kelly in Tiaquin barony in this parish, by Lattoon in the parish of Ahascragh and barony of Kilconnel.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Eskerballycahill.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There was only the 1 house in Eskerballycahill in the 1911 census and it was listed as being a private dwelling. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a second class dwelling with 4 rooms and 4 windows. The enumerator for the area was John Gallagher.

 

House 1: Heavey [sic]

The head of the only family in Eskerballycahill was Patrick but there were no details about him in this census return. Also in the house were, his widowed mother, Mary (74), his son, Patrick (53), his daughter-in-law, Margaret (40), who had been married for 5 years and they had had 3 children, Mary Delia (4), William Patrick (3) and Kate (1) and also another one of Patrick’s sons, Thomas (50). They were all Roman Catholic and, apart from Patrick and Mary, they were all listed as being born in Co. Galway. Mary, Patrick (53) and Thomas spoke both Irish and English and the others, apart from Patrick (head) spoke only English. Thomas could read only and Patrick (53) and Margaret could read and write. Patrick (53) was a farmer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Lord Clonbrock [sic].

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There were just 2 houses in Eskerballycahill in 1901 and they were both listed as being private dwellings and were occupied. They both stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Both were 2nd class dwellings and had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were 6 out buildings, a stable, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries and a shed. Nine people were in the townland at that time, 5 males and 4 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.

 

House 1: Heavy

Mary (58), a widow, and she shared the house with 3 sons, Patrick (29), Thomas (27) and John (19) and also a niece, Kate (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English with the exception of Kate. With the exception of Mary, they could all read and write. Mary was a shepherd’s mother, Patrick and Thomas were Shepherds, John was a farm servant and Kate was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Lyons.

 

House 2: Bryan

The head of this family was Michael (55) and he was married to Bridget (62) and they lived in the house with a son, John (27) and a daughter, Annie (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both parents spoke Irish and English and the children spoke only English. Apart from Michael, they could all read and write. Michael was a butcher and farmer, John was an agricultural labourer and Annie was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Michael Bryan.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Lord Clonbrock [sic] was the immediate lessor in Eskerballycahill. Patrick Lyons leased 356 acres, 3 roods and 35 perches of land for £190 and a herd’s house for 12s, John Nee leased a house on 2 acres and 10 perches of land for 15s for the land and 10s for the house and John Madden, leased 4 acres and 3 roods of land for £1 5s.

 

 

 

 

This page was added on 03/04/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *