Glebe

An Ghléib

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 72394 44212

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of the Rev. Mr. Doyle. It is a hilly country of a good quality and all of which is called Glebe land. The houses and roads are in good repair. Pays for County Cess £1. 12s. 4d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in a central part of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel bounded by Cartron and Eskerballycahil townlands in same barony, by Caltra, Graignavadddogue, Killosolan and Ticooly O’Kelly in the barony of Tiaquin.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Glebe.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There were 5 houses in the townland of Glebe at the time of this census and 4 of those were occupied, with house 5 unoccupied, but the landholder was John Clarke. They were all listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 3 had slate, iron or tiled roofs, while houses 2 and 4 had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 2 and 3 were 2nd class dwellings and house 4 was a 3rd class dwelling. House 1 had between 10 and 12 rooms and 13 windows in the front, house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 3 had 5 or 6 rooms and 5 windows in the front and house 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 13 out buildings, a stable, a coach house, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, 2 piggeries, a fowl house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house and a shed. There were a total of 20 people in the townland at that time, 8 males and 12 females. 2 males and 4 females were Protestant, 1 female was a Methodist and the others were all Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Gallagher.

 

House 1: Bourns / Pattyson [sic]/ Kenny / Kelly

The head of the first family in Glebe was Henry John (43) and he had been married to Esther Josephine (30) for 5 years and they had had 4 children and all had survived. They lived in the house with those 4 children and they were, Ada Jane (4), Josephine Clare (3) (this name was crossed out), May (2) and William Cornwall (11mths). Also in the house at that time were Henry John’s mother, Jane (77), a governess, Emma Pattyson [sic] (20), a nurse, Nora Kenny (50), who had been married for 21years, and a servant Bridget Kelly (18). They were all born in Co. Galway and Emma was a Methodist, Nora and Bridget were Roman Catholics and all the Bourns family were Church of Ireland. Apart from the Bourns children, they could all read and write. Henry John was listed as being a farmer and Ada Jane was a scholar. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 10 and 12 rooms and they also had a stable, a coach house, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a fowl house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house and a shed. The landholder was Henry J. Bourns.

 

House 2: Geraghty / Barrett

Patrick (70) was listed as being the head of this household and he was married to Mary (73) and had been for 40 years and in that time they had had 6 children and 4 of those had survived. They shared the house with their son Thomas (26), their daughter, Jane Barrett (34), who had been married for 8 years and had had 3 children but her husband was not mentioned in this entry. Also in the house were the 3 children, listed as “daughters of Barrett”, Mary J. Barrett (8), Susie Barrett (6) and Delia Barrett (1). They were all Roman Catholic with Patrick, Thomas, Susie and Delia were born in Co. Galway and Mary J. was born in England. Apart from Delia, all of the family could speak both Irish and English and read and write. Patrick was a civil bill officer, Thomas was a herd and Mary J. and Susie were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Clarke.

 

House 3: Geraghty

The widower, Patrick (37) was listed as the head of this household and he lived in the house with 2 of his sons, Patrick (11) and John (7). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick (37) spoke both Irish and English and the sons spoke only English. They could all read and write. Patrick (37) was a labourer and Patrick (11) and John were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 or 6 rooms and they had a piggery. The landholder was John Clarke.

 

House 4: Burns

John (39) was the sole occupant of the last house in Glebe and he was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He could not read and was listed as being a labourer. The house he lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Henry J. Bourns.

 

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1901 census shows that there were 3 houses in the townland of Glebe and that they were all occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 2 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing and houses 1 and 3 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling, house 2 was a 1st class dwelling and house 3 was a 2nd class. House 1 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front, house 2 had between 7 and 9 rooms and 13 windows in the front and house 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 15 out buildings and they consisted of 2 stables, 2 coach houses, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, 2 piggeries, a fowl house, 2 barns, a potato house and a shed. The townland had 10 residents at the time of the census, 5 males and 5 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.

 

House 1: Burns

The sole occupant of house 1 was Bridget (65), who was a widow. She was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. She spoke both Irish and English, could not read and was an unemployed domestic servant. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was Jane Bourns.

 

House 2: Bourns / Lynch

The widow, Jane (68) was the head of this family and she shared the house with her 2 sons, William F. (35) and Henry (33) and also a servant Kate Lynch (19). They were all born in Co. Galway and all the Bourns’ were Church of Ireland and Kate was a Roman Catholic. They could all read and write. Jane and Henry were farmers, William F. was a farmer and grozier [sic] and Kate was a servant maid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 7 and 9 rooms and they also had 2 stables, a coach house, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn, a potato house and a shed. The landholder was Jane Bourns.

 

House 3: Geraghty

The head of the last house in Glebe was Patrick (55) and he was married to Mary (60) and they lived in the house with 3 of their children, Patt (26), Jane E. (23) and Thomas (15). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. Patrick was a civil bill officer, Patt was a shepherd and Thomas was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a coach house, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was John Clarke.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

The Rev. John Molloy leased a house, offices and a herd’s house on 125 acres, 2 roods and 4 perches of land from the Ecclesiastical Commrs.[sic] for £63 for the land and £10 for the buildings. John Callaghan leased a house on 3 roods and 10 perches of land from the Rev. John Molloy for 10s for the land and 10s for the house and also he leased 2 acres and 5 perches of land for £1. John Byrne leased 1 acre and 5 perches of land from the Rev. John Molloy for 10s and also a house on 2 acres, 3 roods and 26 perches of land for £1 10s for the land and 12s for the house.

 

 

This page was added on 01/11/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *