Kinclare

Cionn Cláir

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 70540 41702

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Kinclare is the property of Michl. D. Bellew held by deed for ever. It contains. 472 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches. all of which is under cultivation arable and pasture. There is a few firs growing on the N. East extremity of this townland. Houses and roads are in good repair. Pays for County Cess £0. 15s. 8d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Kinclare lies in the South of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin, bounded by Rathbawn, Lissnagree, Caltra, Caltra Pallis, Creggaunagroagh, Garryduff and Ballantleva in said barony in this parish, by Garrafine French and Garrafine in the parish of Ballymacward and barony of Kilconnel.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Kinclare.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records   for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1911 census shows that there were a total of 9 houses in the townland of Kinclare with 8 of them being occupied. House 1 was the Kinclare national school and unoccupied at the time of the census and the landholder was Sir H. G. Bellew and the other houses were all listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 2, 8 and 9 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing while all the others had a slate, iron or tiled roof. House 9 was a 3rd class dwelling and the others were all 2nd class. House 9 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 4 and 8 had 3 rooms and 3 windows and house 6 had 3 rooms and 5 windows. House 3 had 8 rooms and 3 windows in the front and houses 2 and 7 had between 7 and 9 rooms and 5 windows in the front. There were a total of 32 out buildings in the townland, 11 stables, a coach house, 6 cow houses, 5 piggeries, a fowl house, 2 barns, a turf house and 5 sheds. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 54 people in the townland and they consisted of 19 males and 35 females. The enumerator was James P. Dalton.

 

House 1 National school and unoccupied at the time of the census.

 

House 2: Mac Branáin / Ní Branáin / Nic Branáin / Mc Coigligh (Quigley) / Clavin

Maoilseachlainn (34) was the head of this household and he lived in the house with his mother, Brigid Ní Branáin (57), who had had 7 children and 4 of those had survived, his sister, Maire Mairéad Nic Branáin (Brennan) (26) and also in the house were 2 servants, Maire Mc Coigligh (Quigley) (19) and Simon Clavin (17). They were all Roman Catholic and Maoilseachlainn, Brigid and Maire (26) were born in Co. Sligo and Maire (19) and Simon were born in Co. Galway. They could all read and write and Maoilseachlainn and Maire (19) could speak both Irish and English and the others spoke only English. Maoilseachlainn was a R.C. priest and Maire (19) and Simon were servants. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and they had 5 stables, a coach house, 2 cow houses, a piggery and a turf house. The landholder was the Rev. Father Brennan.

 

House 3: Donohoe / Dawling [sic]

Michael (65) was the head of this family and he had been married to Anne (53) for 30 years and they had had 9 children and 8 of those had survived. They lived in the house with 6 of those children and they were, Mary (26), Michael (22), Magret [sic] (20), Anne (14), Delia (11), Willie Patrick (8) and also in the house was Anne’s widowed mother, Magret [sic] Dawling (95), who had been married for 15 years and had had 4 children, all of whom had survived. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from Anne (53), Mary and Magret (20), they could all speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. Michael (65) was a postmaster, Michael (22) was a post boy and Anne (14), Delia and Willie Patrick were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and they had a stable, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Michael Donohoe.

 

House 4: Geraghty / Costello

The head of this family was John (45) and he had been married to Margaret (42) for 18 years and they had had 8 children, Mary (17), Bridget (15), Patrick (13), Katie (11), Ellie (9), Julia (7), Margaret (5) and Annie (1). Also in the house at that time was the widow, Nellie (84), who was listed as a grandma who had been married for 48 years. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Bridget, Katie and Nellie all spoke both Irish and English and the others, with the exception of young Annie, spoke only English. Apart from Annie and Nellie, they could all read and write. John was listed as being a herd. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Sir H. G. Bellew.

 

House 5: O’Reilly / Kane / Doran

The widow, Mary Agnes (38), who had been married for 8 years and had had 2 children, James Joseph (8) and Eleanor Christina (3). Also in the house were a servant, Maggie Kane (50) and a visitor, Jane Doran (8). They were all Roman Catholic and Mary Agnes was born in Nenagh Co. Tipperary, Eleanor Christina and James Joseph were born in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, Maggie was born in Caltra, Co. Galway and Jane was born in Co. Galway. Maggie and John Joseph could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. Mary Agnes was a district nurse, Maggie was a domestic servant and Eleanor Christina, Jane and John Joseph were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and they had a stable. The landholder was Sir H. G. Bellew.

 

House 6: Dooly / Mullrine [sic]

The head of this family was Ellen (59), who was married for 34 years and she had had 11 children and 8 of those had survived. There was no husband mentioned in this entry. In the house at that time were her son, Stephen (23), her daughter, Ellen (19) and a visitor, Michael Mullrine [sic] (68). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Ellen (59) could speak both Irish and English. Ellen (59), Ellen (23) and Stephen could read and write. Ellen was a farmer and Stephen and Michael were labourers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms. The landholder was Sir H. G. Bellew.

 

House 7: McGrath / Colohan [sic]

The head of the family in house 7 was Edward (70) and he had been married to Catherine (60) for 17 years but they had no children. Also in the house at that time was Catherine’s sister, Anne (72), a widow. They were all born in Co. Mayo and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. Edward was a pensioner and a ex national school teacher. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, 2 cow houses and a fowl house. The landholder was Patrick Coakley.

 

House 8: Coen

Patrick (55) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Ellen (38) and had been for 12 years and they had had 9 children and 8 of those had survived. Those 8 children also lived in the house with them and they were, Mary (9), Anne (8), Patrick (7), Ellen (6), Willie (5), Bridget (4), Margret (2) and Thomas (1). Also in the house at that time was Patrick’s brother, Thomas (53). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Patrick (55) and Thomas (53) were listed as being able to speak Irish and English. Ellen (38), Mary, Anne, Patrick (7), Ellen (6) and Willie could read and write. Patrick (55) was a herd, Thomas (53) was an assistant herd and Mary, Anne, Patrick (7), Ellen (6) and Willie were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Sir H. G. Bellew.

 

House 9: Hogan

The head of the last house in Kinclare was Thomas (34) and he was married to Mary (35) and they had been married for 7 years and had had 3 children, John (5), Cathren [sic] (3) and Michael (2), and also in the house at that time was Thomas’ sister, Julia (33). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas and Mary spoke both Irish and English and Thomas, Mary and John could read and write. Thomas was a farmer and John and Cathren [sic] were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Thomas Hogan.

 

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1901 census shows that there were a total of 8 houses in Kinclare but only 5 were occupied at this time. House 7 was the Kinclare national school and all the others were listed as being private dwellings. Houses 6, 7 and 8 had the Rev. P. Donagher [sic] as the landholder. House 3 was also unoccupied and the landholder was Martin Cunniff. The occupied houses were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses   1, 2 and 5 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing while houses 4 and 6 had a slate, iron or tiled roof. House 6 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 2, 4 and 5 were 2nd class dwellings and house 1 was a 3rd class. House 1 had 2 rooms and 2 windows, houses 2 and 4 had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 5 had 7 rooms and 3 windows and house 6 had 11 rooms and 5 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total 17 out buildings in the townland and they consisted of 5 stables, a coach house, 4 cow houses, 4 piggeries, 2 barns and a shed. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 26 people in the townland at that time, 11 males and 15 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick McCann.

 

House 1: Hogan

Thomas (22) was the head of the first household in Kinclare and he shared the house with his sister, Maggie (16). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. Thomas was a shepherd and Maggie was a shepherd’s sister. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Hogan.

 

House 2: Coen

The head of this family was the widower, William (78) and he shared the house with his sons, Patt (45) and Tom (42) and his daughter-in-law, Ellen (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. William and Tom spoke both Irish and English and, apart from Patt, they could all read and write. William, Patt and Tom were all shepherds. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was William Coen.

 

House 3: Unoccupied

 

House 4: Geraghty / Costello

John (33) was the head of this family and he was married to Margaret (30) and they lived in the house with Margaret’s widowed mother, Ellen Costello (68) and 4 of their children, Mary (7), Bridget (5), Patrick (3) and Kate (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Margaret and Ellen spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. John was a shepherd and Mary and Bridget were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a stable, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Martin Cunniff.

 

House 5: Donohoe / Dowling

The head of this household was Michael (44) and he lived with his wife, Nannie (40), his mother-in-law, Margaret Dowling (80) and 6 of their children, Mary (19), Kate (17), Michael (15), Margaret (10), Annie (6) and Delia (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Nannie, Margaret (10) and Annie spoke only English and the rest, apart from baby Delia, spoke both Irish and English. Delia could not read, Margaret (80) and Annie could read only and the rest could all read and write. Michael (44) was a farmer, Mary was a letter carrier, Kate was a postmistress and Michael, Margaret (10) and Annie were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 7 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Michael Donohoe.

 

House 6: Donagher [sic] / Keane / McLoughlin / Curly

The head of the last house in Kinclare was Patrick 73) and he lived in the house with John Keane (29), Margaret McLoughlin (40) and Cornelius Curly (14). They were all Roman Catholic and Patrick was born in Co. Sligo and the others were all born in Co. Galway. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. Patrick was a clergyman, parish priest, John was a clergyman CC, Margaret was a cook domestic servant and Cornelius was a coachman domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 11 rooms and they also had 2 stables, a coach house, a cow house and a shed. The landholder was the Rev. P. Donohue.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

The main immediate lessor in the townland of Kinclare was Sir Christopher Bellew Bt. and he leased a number of tenements to the following: James Dowling leased a house and offices on 12 acres, 3 roods and 30 perches of land for £9 10s for the land and £2 for the buildings, Joseph Kelly leased a house, offices and a herd’s house on 168 acres, 3 roods and 22 perches of land for £99 for the land and £5 10s for the buildings and the national school leased a house and yard free of charge but it had an annual ratable valuation of £2 10s. James Joyce leased 90 acres, 3 roods and 39 perches of land for £48, Joseph Kelly (of Newtown) leased offices on 194 acres and 6 perches of land for which he paid £110 for the land and 10s for the buildings and he also leased a separate office for 5s. Thomas McKeown [sic] leased a house and office on 3 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches of land from Joseph Kelly for £1 5s for the land and 5s for the buildings and Patrick McKeown [sic] leased a house on 1 acres and 25 perches of land for 5s for the land and 5s for the house.

 

There was an exemption for the school house and yard of £2 10s.

 

1670 Down Survey

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Kinolare. The 1670 owner (post Cromwell) was the Catholic, John Bellew. There were 100 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 288 plantation acres of profitable land and 288 plantation acres were forfeited.

 

 

 

 

This page was added on 02/11/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *