Ffrenchpark

Páirc an Fhrancaigh

Roger Harrison

Author: Roger Harrison

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Lord Ffrench who holds it under a deed for ever. It contains a.r.p. all of which is arable and pasture. The houses are in good repair. Co. Cess included with Castleffrench. (It pays £17. 12. 3. Co. Cess).

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the east of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel, is bounded by Bredagh and Loughaunbwee townlands in this parish and by Killeen in the parish of Ahascragh in same barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Ffrenchpark.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821:  Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records      for Killosolan.

1831:  The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841:  There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861:  Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881:  The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available    See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available    See below.

 

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There was just the 1 house in Ffrenchpark in 1911 and it was a private dwelling and was a 2nd class dwelling. It had 5 rooms and 3 windows in the front and it was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick Clement.

 

House 1: Gilmore

The head of the only household in Ffrenchpark was Martin (50) who was married to Bridget (35) and had been for 8 years and they had 3 children, Patk (6), M. Kate (3) and John Gerard (1) and also in the house was Martin’s brother, Patt (68). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Martin, Bridget and Patt could read and write and Martin was a farmer and Carpenter, Patt was a carpenter and Patk was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a barn, a workshop and a shed. Rge landholder was Martin Gilmore.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the Townland

There was only 1 house in the townland and it was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The enumerator for the area was Patrick Barrett.

 

House 1: Gilmore

The head of the only family in Ffrenchpark was the widow, Mary (80) and she shared the house with 2 of her sons, Patt (55) and Martin (32). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mary and Patt spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. Mary was a shopkeeper and farmer and Patt and Martin were carpenters. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Mary Gilmore.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Edward Gilmon [sic] leased a house and an office on 14 acres, 1 rood and 25 perches of land from James Thorngate for £7 for the land and £1 10s for the buildings.

This page was added on 03/03/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *