Ardagh

Ardach

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Ardagh

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Derrylea

Area:                                         1060.94 acres / 1060 acres, 3 roods, 31 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Ardagh  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Ardagh

Logainm for Ardagh

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Ardagh

 

1911 Census for Ardagh

Overview of Ardagh in 1911

The 1911 census shows that there were 5 houses in the townland of Ardagh and that 4 were occupied, with house 5 being empty. They were all listed as being private dwellings. The houses were all built of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 3 and 4 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and house 1 and 2 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 2 were 3rd class dwellings while houses 3 and 4 were 1st class. House 1 had 1 room and 2 windows in the front, house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows, house 3 had between 10 and 12 rooms and 6 windows in the front and house 4 had between 7 and 9 rooms and 6 windows in the front. There were a total of 18 out buildings consisting of 4 stables, 3 coach houses, a harness room, 3 cow houses, 2 calf houses, 2 fowl houses, a turf house, a store and a laundry. There were 23 people in the townland at that time, 12 males and 11 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Boland.

 

Gibbons                                  (additional surname: Morkan [sic])

Thomas (40) was the head of the first family in Ardagh and he had been married to Mary (29) for 3 years and they had 1 child, Michael (2) and also in the house at that time was a visitor, William Morkan [sic] (14). They were all Roman Catholic and Thomas and Michael were born in Co. Galway and Mary and William were born in Kings County[i]. Thomas could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Michael, they could all read and write. Thomas was a herd and William was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and they had a stable and a calf house. The landholder was Dr. Joseph Gye [sic].

 

Lynch

The widow, Sarah (55) was the head of this family and she shared then house with 5 of her children, Patrick (21), Sarah (14), Eliza (12), John (8) and Bridget (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from John and Bridget, all of the family could speak both Irish and English. Patrick, Sarah (14) and Eliza could read and write. Sarah (55) was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s son and Sarah (14) and Eliza were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house and a cow house. The landholder was Sarah Lynch.

 

Dunne                         (additional surnames: Keavney, Ward and ORourke [sic])

George (55) was listed as the head of this household and he was married to Delia (38) and had been for 7 years and they had had 5 children and 3 of those had survived. Two of those children lived with them and they were, Patrick (1) and John Frances (2mths). Also in the house were 2 servants, Patrick Keavney (45) and Sabina Ward (18) and a niece, Jane ORourke [sic] (15). They were all Roman Catholic and Jane was born in England and all the others were born in Co. Galway. Delia and Sabina spoke Irish and English and, apart from Patrick (1) and John Frances, they could all read and write. George was a caretaker, Patrick (1) was listed as a son, Patrick (45) was a farm servant, Sabina was a domestic servant and Jane was a scholar. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 10 and 12 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a fowl house, a turf house, a store and a laundry. The landholder was Percy (?) J. Kendal.

 

King                            (additional surnames: Broughton, Keane, Folan and Nee)

The head of the last house in Ardagh was Festus (52) and he had been married to Annie (50) for 18 years but there were no children listed. Also in the house were a visitor, Mary Frances Broughton (60) and 3 servants, Bridget Keane (18), Martin Folan (75) and Colman Nee (18). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Martin, they could all read and write. Festus was a clerk of union, Mary Frances was a retired W house matron, Bridget was a general servant, Martin was a farm servant and Colman was a domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 7 and 9 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a cow house and a fowl house. The landholder was Festus King.

 

1901 Census for Ardagh

Overview of Ardagh in 1901

There were a total of 7 houses in the townland of Ardagh, 6 of which were occupied, with house 3 being empty. House 7 was constructed of mud, wood or other perishable materials for walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The other occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1, 2 and 4 had slate, iron or tiled roofs while houses 5 and 6 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 4 were 1st class dwellings, house 7 was a 2nd class dwelling and houses 2, 5 and 6 were 3rd class. House 2 had 1 room and 1 window in the front, houses 5 and 6 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows, house 7 had 5 or 6 rooms and 6 windows in the front, house 1 had between 7 and 9 rooms and 6 windows in the front and house 4 had between 7 and 9 rooms and 9 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total of 14 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a piggery, 2 fowl houses, a turf house, a potato house and a shed. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 20 people in the townland, 11 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant William Sullivan.

 

King                            (additional surname: O’Donnell)

Festus (42) was listed as being the head of this household and he was married but there was no wife listed in this entry. He shared the house with a servant, Anne O’Donnell (21). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. Festus was a clerk with the Clifden Union and Anne was a general servant domestic. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 7 and 9 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a fowl house and a shed. The landholder was Festus King.

 

Faherty

The sole occupant of house 2 was Patrick (21) and he was a Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. He could speak both Irish and English, could read and write and was a general servant. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room. The landholder was Festus King.

 

Dunne                         (additional surname: Conneely)

The head of the household in house 4 was George (36) who was unmarried and he lived in the house with a servant, Mary Conneely (19). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Mary could speak Irish and English but both could read and write. George was a farmer and Mary was a housemaid domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 7 and 9 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a harness room, a fowl house, a turf house and a potato house. The landholder was P. J. Kendall

 

Lynch

The head of the family in house 5.1 was Joseph (32) and he was married to Sarah (30) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Mary (8), Sarah (7), Patrick (12) and Elizabeth (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. With the exception of Sarah (7) and Elizabeth, all of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Joseph and Patrick could read and write. Joseph was a farmer and Patrick was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Joseph Lynch.

 

Lynch

Martin (84) was the head of the family in house 5.2 and he lived there with his wife, Margaret (70). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but only Martin could read and write. Martin was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Joseph Lynch.

 

Gibbons                                  (additional surname: Faherty)

John (70) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Mary (60) and they lived in the house with 3 of their children, Thomas (26), Patrick (21) and Agnes (17) and also a grandson John Faherty (9). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic, except John Faherty, who was born in America. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Thomas, Patrick and John (7) could read and write. John (70) was a farmer, Thomas and Patrick were farmer’s sons, Agnes was a farmer’s daughter and John Faherty was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. The landholder was Joseph Gorham.

 

Conneely

Michael (22) was the only occupant of the last house in Ardagh. He was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke both Irish and English, could read and write and was listed as being a general labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 7 and 9 rooms. The landholder was Walter Jackson.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Ardagh

The immediate lessor in Ardagh was Richard Foreman and he had a herd’s house and offices on 995 acres, 1 rood and 25 perches of land in fee with an annual ratable valuation of 70 for the land and £2 for the buildings. Patrick Rye leased a house from Richard Foreman for 15s, there 2 vacant houses belonging to Richard Foreman with annual ratable valuations of 5s each, Henry Murray leased a house for 7s and Michael Conry leased a house from Richard Foreman for 6s. Samuel Jones owner an office with an annual ratable valuation of 2s. There were also 57 acres, 1 rood and 37 perches of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Ardagh

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Mungah and Ardagh. The pre Cromwell (1641) owner was Murrogh O’Flahartye, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was the Catholic Edward Geoghegan. There were 1602 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 115 plantation acres of profitable land and 115 plantation acres were forfeited.

[i] Co. Offaly

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *